C.Hart for 6ft8 behemoth M.Sogaard+

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Hart is great but with only 2yrs of control left and Philly not looking like a competitive team for 3+ years, it might make some sense to trade him rather than turn him in to J.Gibson 2-point-0. A team like Ottawa would be a great fit IMO. He's a solid starter and his age perfectly matches their core moving forward.

Sogaard is supposed to be Ottawa's future goalie, but as we all know - goalies are hard to judge, and Ottawa is just beginning to open their "win-now window". Sogaard is 3 draft years younger than Hart (2019 vs 2016) and has a lot more years of control for a rebuilding team like Philly. Like Hart, he is a former 2nd round pick that has trended well in to his late teens and early 20s.

Obviously Ottawa ads here, but what more would entice Philly to make the deal? I imagine Ottawa would prefer to trade non-roster players, and focus on picks and/or prospects as the +

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sogard is a run of a mill goalie prospect right now, meh in the AHL and bad in the NHL.
Young enough (22) to turn it around, but basically a throw in in any trade.
Your two best prospects from the Flyers perspective, Greig and Bernard-Docker (RHD) are more depth players than needle movers.
Any package would have to be volume, b/c I don't think the Senators would give us a top young player, they don't have that kind of depth.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Sogard is a run of a mill goalie prospect right now, meh in the AHL and bad in the NHL.
Young enough (22) to turn it around, but basically a throw in in any trade.
Your two best prospects from the Flyers perspective, Greig and Bernard-Docker (RHD) are more depth players than needle movers.
Any package would have to be volume, b/c I don't think the Senators would give us a top young player, they don't have that kind of depth.

Carter Hart's stats over the last 3 years are among the worst in the NHL for goalies who have played 80+ games during that span. James Reimer has slightly better stats in only a few less games played, and it's not like he's been playing on great teams either.

My point is there's more to goalies that just stats, and Sogaard is one of the best goalies without a season as a NHL starter under his belt. Anyone considered outright better than him (Askarov comes to mind), is probably completely off the table in almost any reasonable trade offer. You're underrating Sogaard tremendously here.

Also, greig was off the table for Chychrun, so I doubt he's considered a "depth player" by anyone. JBD.. sure, but not Greig. Funny enough, Sogaard was also rumored to be off the table for Chychrun.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Carter Hart's stats over the last 3 years are among the worst in the NHL for goalies who have played 80+ games during that span. James Reimer has slightly better stats in only a few less games played, and it's not like he's been playing on great teams either.

My point is there's more to goalies that just stats, and Sogaard is one of the best goalies without a season as a NHL starter under his belt. Anyone considered outright better than him (Askarov comes to mind), is probably completely off the table in almost any reasonable trade offer. You're underrating Sogaard tremendously here.

Also, greig was off the table for Chychrun, so I doubt he's considered a "depth player" by anyone. JBD.. sure, but not Greig. Funny enough, Sogaard was also rumored to be off the table for Chychrun.

I csnt see who you're responding to, which means you're probably best served not responding.

I want a first. Make it (reasonsbly) conditional in starts if you want. But I want the possibility if his return uncluding a first.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I'd take a second for Hart if that's the best offer available. Isn't he a pure upside trade target?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
No point in trading Hart unless a 1st is coming back. We'll take the big goalie if you want but not as the primary piece because its not a need. They can roll with Ersson, Sandstrom, Cheap UFA Vet, etc. while rebuilding if they need to.
The point is to tank

Reactions: BiggE

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
No point in trading Hart unless a 1st is coming back. We'll take the big goalie if you want but not as the primary piece because its not a need. They can roll with Ersson, Sandstrom, Cheap UFA Vet, etc. while rebuilding if they need to.

This ia weird hill to die on IMO

Sure, you could sign a journeyman goalie as a filler for a few years, but what happens when the core becomes good, and you still don't have a goalie? Sogaard is being treated like a throw-in which he is far from. He's probably 2-3yrs away from being an impact starter, and aligns well with a Flyers rebuild for exactly that reason.

I'd much rather give up Forsberg and a conditional 1st based on games played and/or making the playoffs this upcoming season. If that's the ask over Sogaard for a team like the Flyers, then I think it's a mistake - but it's one I would gladly be a part of.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Sure, you could sign a journeyman goalie as a filler for a few years, but what happens when the core becomes good, and you still don't have a goalie? Sogaard is being treated like a throw-in which he is far from. He's probably 2-3yrs away from being an impact starter, and aligns well with a Flyers rebuild for exactly that reason.

I'd much rather give up Forsberg and a conditional 1st based on games played and/or making the playoffs this upcoming season. If that's the ask over Sogaard for a team like the Flyers, then I think it's a mistake - but it's one I would gladly be a part of.

The Flyers have way too many holes elsewhere to worry about goaltending. Besides, Samuel Ersson is a good prospect in his own right. So is Aleksei Kolosov.

Hart is one of their most valuable assets. If they trade him, it makes no sense to do so with the main return being another goalie. Thats what im trying to say.

If you want go do 1st + Sogaard, then lets talk.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Sure, you could sign a journeyman goalie as a filler for a few years, but what happens when the core becomes good,

Gonna stop you right there, because there is no "core" at the moment. Spare parts and potential second-liners. They could sign you and me to be the goalie tandem for the next 4 years and it would make no difference in their trajectory.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

The Flyers have several good prospects ( as someone else noted), and can draft some during that time. The Flyers could reasonably sign a vet for a 4 year reasonable deal and it wouldn't matter to them. The team and it's future are THAT bad. 2-3 year estimate is awfully generous given their best player (Hart aside) is ufa in 2 years and should also be shopped.

I don't think anyone's treating him as a throwin, though. Rather, it's just not the right currency that we need, since we have several decent G prospects already and lots of holes elsewhere. It's just the wrong base to start with. You got an equally talented RHD prospect that's in that same development timeline? We can probably talk. But G isn't the starting point.

Reactions: BernieParent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad