Confirmed with Link: C. Giroux: 8-year contract extension (ESPN: $66.2m, $8.275m AAV, NMC) upds in post #1

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Exactly. Give him all the soft minutes and let him rack up pts for the love of god. Take him off the PK rightnow.

This is the reason I'm glad they signed Vinny. He can help take pressure off of G by being that 2nd line center pivot that can give him support. He can also mentor him on being the star player and trying to live up to a big contract. Lacavalier has been there and done that. Schenn couldn't do that.

potsiev2

Jul 4, 2011
Delaware
Every comment you've made so far has made you look like a fan of another team who created an account to troll the Flyers boards. Or maybe you just have no idea what you're talking about?

the HF boards have some of the dumbest sports fans in the world making posts... what do you expect?

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
Well I just did,Does not change the fact he is over payed. If he wants that kind of money he better get over 100 points per season or he is a failure. Just like Bryz he could not live up to his contract and it was a failure, if we were paying 3 million not so bad.

what do you think he should've taken? let me hear your contract

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This is the reason I'm glad they signed Vinny. He can help take pressure off of G by being that 2nd line center pivot that can give him support. He can also mentor him on being the star player and trying to live up to a big contract. Lacavalier has been there and done that. Schenn couldn't do that.

I want no part of Vinny explaining to Giroux how to live up to a big contract.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Well I just did,Does not change the fact he is over payed. If he wants that kind of money he better get over 100 points per season or he is a failure. Just like Bryz he could not live up to his contract and it was a failure, if we were paying 3 million not so bad.

Name the players in the league that have around the same cap hit or total contract money.

Now name the players that score 100 points per season. In fact, name 1 player that scores 100 points per season.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The outcry over this just goes to show how uninformed people are. Giroux's AAV is cheaper than the first 8 years of Kovalchuks's deal, Parise's deal, etc. the only difference is that we can't massage the numbers to get the cap hit down.

Anyone calling Giroux overpayed needs to be checked into a mental institute because he's not even close to being overpayed relative to his peers. The only difference is the cap hit, and there's nothing we can do about that now. Get over it. We have a franchise player who we have locked up for eight years. Celebrate it. Jesus.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
It's a big number to live up to, and I hope he does (and I won't be surprised when he surpasses it).

It's in the neighbourhood I figured it would be - here's hoping he's still around when the NMC kicks in.

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011
I'm ok with this. Not thrilled, but ok. This is what franchise players get under the new CBA.

I heard the other day that some GMs are expecting the cap to be at close to 80 million in 3 years. If that's true then this is basically the equivalent to when Richards and Carter signed their deals. Roughly 10% of your cap for your franchise player.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I really hope he lives up to this contract. Fair value I guess, but certainly not "great".

At this price, they should have waited until next summer to sign him, it would not have been higher.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I see both sides of this debate.

On one hand, it's damn near impossible to try and nickel and dime your best/franchise player and captain after you just went out and overspent massively on Streit. If I were Giroux and Homer came to me asking for a discount because he needs to sign Schenn and Couturier too, I'd point at his luxury signings of Streit and Lecavalier and laugh. Asking G to take $$ out of his own pocket to help the team's cap situation when you had plenty of caproom both now and going forward just a week or so ago isn't fair at all. Ultimately, if there are some cap casualties, it will be Homer's fault, not Giroux's.

On the other hand... I think 8.3 is entirely too much for Giroux given the way he played last year and the fact that he's only really had one excellent year. He's a great player, but at this point we have no idea where Giroux is going to settle in points-wise per season. Is he going to be a 75-80 point guy, or a 90+ point guy? That makes a difference. Is he ever going to score 30 goals? That also makes a difference, since goals are more valuable than assists. When Malkin and Crosby got paid, they had several years to look at to justify their salaries. Ditto Getz and Perry. Even young Steven Stamkos had several years to look at to justify his contract. Claude Giroux has ONE, and it's a career year where he still didn't eclipse 30 goals. That's scary to me. We're essentially paying for potential, but there's no upside for us. If Giroux scores 90-95 pts per year, we get our money's worth, but get no excess value. If he scores anything less, we're getting less than what we paid for. That's a whole lot of downside risk for such a meager upside.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The canucks are the standard for excellence when it comes to cap hits.

You look at their roster and their players routinely take less than market value.

The importance of having your best player take a less than market value deal is important because it sets the culture for the team. If you want to be in a winning environment you have to sacrifice for the good of the team. Salary is no exception.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
The canucks are the standard for excellence when it comes to cap hits.

You look at their roster and their players routinely take less than market value.

The importance of having your best player take a less than market value deal is important because it sets the culture for the team. If you want to be in a winning environment you have to sacrifice for the good of the team. Salary is no exception.

Cough cough... David Booth, Ballard.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I like this deal (understatement) but I was really looking forward to G signing all those crippling offer sheets next year............. :(

Wait, what?

Jake was aboslutely horrible for a few weeks in the beginning of the season, just like he was for Prague in KHL before that (and got also injured at the end of his KHL stint)

Last edited:

KimiFerrari

Messi Is God
Oct 29, 2007
Montreal, Qc
With how the Flyers have handled there last 5 long term contracts, no wonder Roo didn't take any real discount.

This can be a risky contract, but it is the price we need to pay to keep top tier talent.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
8 years at 7.3 is what I think he is worth, but I would not cry too much at 7.75

I really thought the high end was going to be 7.5... but as others have said the cap should rise by a good amount next year so I don't think this will end up being too bad.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
No complaints here. Obviously you'd like to see your best player and captain locked up to a bargain contract, but that is pretty unrealistic. $8.275 right is around where I figured he'd get. I don't think it is an overpayment, but to those who do: would you rather have not re-signed him and are you really going to complain about the fact that your best player and captain is overpaid by what, $750k? $1 million? Who cares?

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
Name the players in the league that have around the same cap hit or total contract money.

Now name the players that score 100 points per season. In fact, name 1 player that scores 100 points per season.

Crosby, Malkin, Lindros as a Flyer all have over a 100 point average per season.

You want to be paid like the big boys you better deliver

I will be happy if he has a 100 point average over 5 years and a Cup, anything less is not living up to the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad