Confirmed with Link: C. Giroux: 8-year contract extension (ESPN: $66.2m, $8.275m AAV, NMC) upds in post #1

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Homer trades Richards and Carter after signing them to big deals: worst GM ever no one will ever sign with the Flyers again because this sends out bad signals to other players to sign here long term.

Homer gives Giroux a good deal: worst GM ever he should have played hardball with the best player on the team and team captain.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
People really complaining about locking up a #1 franchise center? We haven't had one since a declining Forsberg and before him a prime Lindros. Jeez...:laugh:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
After being convinced by some of the top posters here, I have to agree, we should of signed G to 8 yrs 32 mill contract. That would of been way gooder !!

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
How very accepting of you.

God forbid anyone breathe anything even remotely negative about the Flyers and the ever entertaining Paul Holmgren - you'll get called all kinds of names.

God forbid you use any kind of logic or reason to make your argument...

You'll be called all kinds of names as well.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
How very accepting of you.

God forbid anyone breathe anything even remotely negative about the Flyers and the ever entertaining Paul Holmgren - you'll get called all kinds of names.

No, I'm sorry, it was an ignorant post. Briere was not bought out because he signed a long-term mega deal and was then stabbed in the back by Homer. Period.

Mike2000z28

Dec 13, 2009
Philly, now montreal
Im getting tired of talking hockey contracts anymore. I mean everyone always says that's way to much money. Hello, everyone is overpaid!! This is how much players like this cost. I mean Matt Carle is making what? over 5mill a year? You want to win, you gotta pay. Sure we can just field the phantoms every year and lose. People have to be realistic. Big deal we gave him a few hundred grand more out of a salary cap that is in the tens of millions. A PPG player in this leagure commands at least 8million a year if they were going for a contract today.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Oh, please. Including Briere in that list shows that you know nothing about the team.

Is there any difference in my comment with the omission of Briere? Give Giroux a couple of consecutive bad years, a number of supposedly poor interviews or, heaven forbid, some out-of-date internet photos of him with a Coors lite and all hell will break lose on this board, with the Philadelphia media and, more importantly, with Snider and Holmgren. This will then, in everyones' mind, be another poor, long-term, costly contract with a NMC to boot. Snider and his cohorts will then somehow be successful in dumping Claude onto another team where he will then contribute mightily to it immediately winning a Stanley Cup. Such are the travails of being a Flyers fan.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Is there any difference in my comment with the omission of Briere? Give Giroux a couple of consecutive bad years, a number of supposedly poor interviews or, heaven forbid, some out-of-date internet photos of him with a Coors lite and all hell will break lose on this board, with the Philadelphia media and, more importantly, with Snider and Holmgren. This will then, in everyones' mind, be another poor, long-term, costly contract with a NMC to boot. Snider and his cohorts will then somehow be successful in dumping Claude onto another team where he will then contribute mightily to it immediately winning a Stanley Cup. Such are the travails of being a Flyers fan.

:laugh:

Literally made me laugh

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
Point_over_your_head.jpg

Not everything is black and white, and some think outside of the box

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.courierpostonline.com/ar...307050032/Giroux-honored-max-term-deal-Flyers

“It’s a great honor to have that kind of contract,†Giroux said Friday morning on a conference call.

All the while, Giroux just wants to get on the ice and leave the negotiating to his agent.

“I never really thought about that kind of stuff,†Giroux said. “I just go out and play the game and try to do my best to help the team win. Five years ago I’m just trying to get a spot in the NHL and get enough ice time to prove what I can do. A lot of that credit goes to the coaching staff and management to have that trust in me.â€

Awesome. Awesome.

Speaking of Tampa, Giroux is excited to get out of the weight room and on the ice with Vincent Lecavalier, who spent all 14 years of his NHL career with the Lightning before signing with the Flyers last week.

“I don’t know him personally but I’ve heard a lot of good things,†Giroux said. “Growning up, I’ve been watching him play a lot. Flyers fans will enjoy watching him.â€

Again, awesome.

“I’ve been texting with Steve Mason every week,†said Giroux, who was teammates with Mason on the 2008 Canadian World Junior team that won Gold. “He’s always telling me he’s pumped for the season.â€

I really like that Mason is involved with the players, particularly Giroux, who he won gold with at the WJCs.

I think it would've been easy for him to be depressed and unenthusiastic about his situation in Columbus. Everything about his time there suggests that including reports. Keeping him involved and excited about playing for this organization could be absolutely HUGE for us. He's got all of the talent to be a star in this league.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
I think it would've been easy for him to be depressed and unenthusiastic about his situation in Columbus. Everything about his time there suggests that including reports. Keeping him involved and excited about playing for this organization could be absolutely HUGE for us. He's got all of the talent to be a star in this league.

IMO, most of his struggles have been mental. Maybe Emery can impart some mental toughness, too.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
The Flyers gave him a ton of the money up front, significantly more than Getzlaf got up front, but Giroux still did not give them any type of discount.

http://capgeek.com/player/748

I know some people expected him to sign cheaper, but my question is: why? Why would someone sign cheaper than what the front office is willing to pay? I mean, it's nice when they do, but why would Giroux willing take less money if they offered it?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Giving the team a little more room to sign other good players is the reason.

But Giroux demanded and got a richer deal than Getzlaf got as a UFA. Now he has to show he was worth being paid that much.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

But Giroux demanded and got a richer deal than Getzlaf got as a UFA. Now he has to show he was worth being paid that much.

I don't think he "demanded" it so much as he just "accepted" it. If he was demanding something the Flyers weren't necessarily confortable with, the deal wouldn't have been done on July 5th a year before his current deal expires.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
I think a lot of people on here are trying to connect way to many dots about how the negotiation went between G's agent and Homer. How are we to know what numbers were ever on or off the table or demanded, etc. I refuse to believe every "insider" update or tweet about his negotiations because as in most cases in the end they are wrong or just guesses. Let's just be happy we have locked up a franchise player in Giroux for an 8-year extension and not instantly jump to comparing his situation to Richie's or Carter's.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Giroux's a better player than Getzlaf, so I don't understand why you think he should take less money.

This is the way it goes now. Star players are going to get paid. I still think Giroux's contract will pale in comparison to some of the contracts we're going to see in the next couple of years. Just wait till you see what guys like Stamkos and Tavares are going to get on their third deals.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Well I would have to question what type of man drinks that stuff. It's water not beer.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad