Confirmed with Link: C. Giroux: 8-year contract extension (ESPN: $66.2m, $8.275m AAV, NMC) upds in post #1

phillyfanatic

Mar 30, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Curious what people think his number will be. I am guessing 8X8.

June 14, 2013 Updates

As the Philadelphia Flyers continue to work on a contract with recently acquired defenceman Mark Streit, TSN hockey analyst Darren Dreger reports the team has also begun preliminary discussions on extending Claude Giroux's contract.

The 25-year-old centre has one year left on a three-year, $11.25 million contract he signed ahead of the 2011-12 season. He is slated to become a restricted free agent after next season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425475

PHILLY.com

Though negotiations haven't started yet between the Flyers and star center Claude Giroux, look for them to begin in the coming weeks, a source close to the situation said.

Giroux, 25, will make $5 million next season, but his cap hit is $3.75 million because most of the money was backloaded in a three-year, $11.25 million contract. He can become a restricted free agent after the 2013-14 season, meaning the Flyers can match another team's offer and keep him in the fold.

If a new deal is consummated, it will undoubtedly make Giroux the Flyers' highest-paid player. Based on the market, he probably will average between $7 million and $8 million per season in a long-term deal.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ok_to_lock_up_Giroux.html#bUIoVcRlPJrpm3v1.99

-------------------------------------

July 4-5, 2013 Updates

The Philadelphia Flyers are reportedly on the verge of signing star center Claude Giroux to a long-term contract extension. Seeing that it's Giroux and the Flyers we're talking about, it's going to be a big one.

Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com reports it's going to be for the max eight years and north of $8 million per season. He later tweeted that it's a done deal at $66.2 million, or $8.275 million per year. It also includes a full no-movement clause.

It's a massive deal for Giroux, but it's not unexpected. He has become one of the best players in the league, and he's being compensated like it. These types of salary-cap hits will become the norm with the term limits in the new CBA. There are no years on the back end to take the cap hit down.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...roux-closing-in-on-eightyear-deal-with-flyers
----------------------------

A year away from restricted free agency, Giroux has been in serious talks with the Flyers on a new contract that would be among the richest in franchise history and make him one of the league's highest-paid players.

Giroux is close to a deal on an eight-year contract extension worth more than $8 million annually, ESPN's Pierre LeBrun reported Thursday.

Comcast SportsNet reported the proposed deal would be worth between $8.25 million and $8.41 million a year, which would make the total value of the contract between $66 million and $67.28 million.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2013/07/04/claude-giroux-extension-talks/2490281/

---------------------

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676638&navid=DL|PHI|home

Flyers sign Giroux to eight-year contract extension

The Philadelphia Flyers have reached an agreement on an eight-year contract extension with center Claude Giroux that will take effect at the start of the 2014-15 season, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

“We are pleased to announce that we have agreed to an eight-year contract extension with Claude Giroux,†Holmgren said. “Claude is a high-quality young man that over the past few years has blossomed into our best player and also one of the top players in the league. We look forward to more and better things to come from Claude over the next number of years as we try to achieve our goal of becoming a championship team.â€

Giroux, 25 (1/12/1988), was named the 19th captain of the Flyers on January 15, 2013. The 5-11, 172-lb native of Hearst, Ontario is entering his sixth season with the Flyers. He is coming off a 2012-13 campaign where he posted 13 goals and 34 assists for 47 points while appearing in all 48 games.

In the 2012-13 season, Giroux enjoyed a breakout campaign as he led the Flyers to the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. He posted some of the best offensive numbers for a Flyers player in a dozen years, finishing the regular season with 28 goals and 65 assists for 93 points on the season, all career highs. The 93 points were the most by a Flyer in a single season since Eric Lindros had 93 points in 1998-99, and the 65 assists were the most by a Flyer since Lindros posted 68 in 1995-96. Giroux also became just the fourth Flyer ever to record 50 or more assists in consecutive seasons, joining Bobby Clarke (8 seasons, 1972-1980), Brian Propp (3 seasons, 1983-86) and Mark Recchi (2 seasons twice). Giroux ranked third in the NHL in scoring and led the league in power play points with 38 (6G, 32A).

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
Homer to G's agent:

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Has he changed agents since? Out performed the heck out of his last contract.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Maybe it's just me, but I think Giroux will sign for less than what people think. He wants a championship and he'll want to make sure that there's money left over so that the Flyers can acquire players. He'll get paid, but I don't think the numbers will be what we're seeing. I'm thinking 6.75 to 7.25 per year.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm thinking and praying it will be under 8 million. While I believe he is a better player than Getzlaf, I can't see him getting more than him on a contract without having that SC to his name.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Maybe it's just me, but I think Giroux will sign for less than what people think. He wants a championship and he'll want to make sure that there's money left over so that the Flyers can acquire players. He'll get paid, but I don't think the numbers will be what we're seeing. I'm thinking 6.75 to 7.25 per year.

I completely agree. I feel like he deserves $8M+ but I think Giroux will take a bit less than that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is a waste of time, 28 GMs plus Poille will be offersheeting Giroux to avenge Nashville's honor. Obviously Giroux will sign every single one.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
People will compare Giroux to Getzlaf and Perry but they were both going to be UFAs if their contract expired.

RJ8812*

Eklund (yes I know) has actually reported that he was told Giroux would be willing to take a "hometown discount"

whatever that means

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
People will compare Giroux to Getzlaf and Perry but they were both going to be UFAs if their contract expired.

Giroux has a ton of leverage. Yes he is an RFA so it is slightly different, but he's only RFA for one more year. If he wants to stay in Philly and Philly wants to keep him, Giroux is holding all the cards. The Flyers could lowball him because he is an RFA, but Giroux isn't going to sign a multi-year deal for lower money (unless he is willing to do a hometown discount). He would be leaving a lot of money on the table if he did. If he wants a long deal, which presumably he does, he's going to get $8 million-ish. If the Flyers won't give him that because he has one more year of being an RFA, well, then say goodbye to Claude Giroux because someone will give him that. This isn't like Cuoturier next season or Schenn. Those guys have very little leverage (not as accomplished, more years of RFA still on the books). Giroux's one year of RFA status is not going to affect this contract negotiation too much.

Eklund (yes I know) has actually reported that he was told Giroux would be willing to take a "hometown discount"

whatever that means

If this is true, then the above is obviously a moot point. If he wants to take a hometown discount, great. If he wants to get paid, he's going to get paid.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Am I alone thinking he gets between 7 and 8m and nothing higher?

Outside of his 93 point season, he's been just about a PPG season, he's also an RFA, and doesnt have the hardware that Perry/Getzlaf have

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Am I alone thinking he gets between 7 and 8m and nothing higher?

Outside of his 93 point season, he's been just about a PPG season, he's also an RFA, and doesnt have the hardware that Perry/Getzlaf have

He is RFA for one more year right? That is not going to affect the negotiations. If he wants a long term deal, he is going to get it, and if he gets it it will be a high number. I don't necessarily disagree that he won't get more than $8 million, but the RFA stuff is not coming in to play.

I assume Giroux wants a long deal, and that the Flyers want to keep him. There is no incentive for Giroux to accept a long deal on a lower cap hit. If he wants a short term deal, then his AAV may come down, but that is risky on his part (injury, underperforming, etc). He's holding all the cards.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I know fans say this about their players all the time, but I really think Claude will be one of those players who's going to sign for less than we think to benefit the team. He doesn't strike me as a money guy at all, and I know a lot of this has to do with his agent, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see something like 8 years 7.75-8 million per.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec

This, plus he is RFA. I expect something around 7M. No idea about the lenght, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad