C German Rubtsov (2016, 22nd, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Is he a NHL top sixer yet? I was told going to NA will do wonders to his development.
Were you told he would be injured his last 2 seasons? Played only first 14 games in his 1st pro season. Doesnt seem far from NHL but it might not be with Flyers.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Were you told he would be injured his last 2 seasons? Played only first 14 games in his 1st pro season. Doesnt seem far from NHL but it might not be with Flyers.
I think he will fall behind expectations. He never had the guts to fight for his right. Instead of learning and earning in Russia he took the easy way out in NA juniors. That speaks volumes about his smarts and work ethic.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
I never hid my agenda. It is for russian hockey players to develop in the best way possible. Sorry, if my honest evaluation of Rubtsov's choices from the psychological POV hurts your "NA good, Russia bad" feelings.
I honestly have no problem with Russia in general, nor players who are drafted from there and develop there. I just don't immediately dismiss players who don't go that route.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
By mid season if he is healthy I expect him to make a push to get in the bottom six for an injury fill in and then not look back. He will end up being a solid two way middle six forward in a couple seasons.

Reactions: Adtar02

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's easy to live in an entirely new country as a teenager and learn a new culture?
It's not THAT hard in my experience. Also the whole point is he could have concentrated on becoming a complete player instead without the distraction of adjusting to a new country and (hockey) culture.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean, he was fantastic when he played in the AHL last year. And I do wonder in 2017-18 how much injury he played through... we now know he was injured at times, but not really how much.

I still think he has ~50 point 2-way upside.

Pre-draft I though he had ~60pt 2-way upside.

Reactions: Alex K

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Rubtsov was an absolute beast on and off the puck before the injuries started piling up. Has nothing to do with MHL vs CHL. Kid played such a heavy game that it’s caught up to him.

The biggest reasons why Russian kids stay in Russia longer are the CHL import cap and the lure of KHL money. They would flock here if otherwise. There’s no silver bullet that proves one track is better than the other, as Svechnikov, Provorov Segachev are three recent elite NA imports succeeding in the NHL, while non-imports like Guriyanov, Nichuskin and Filatov are disappointments.

Blame the player, not the league.

Plus, Kucherov was a post-draft import who didn’t have his development hurt by playing in major junior.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Even despite his injuries, he's still a top-20 player from that draft, so no problem here.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I think he will fall behind expectations. He never had the guts to fight for his right. Instead of learning and earning in Russia he took the easy way out in NA juniors. That speaks volumes about his smarts and work ethic.

There is a disconnect in your statement. If going to NA is the easy way out then you're essentially acknowledging that it is a valid path to success. What then is the issue?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There is a disconnect in your statement. If going to NA is the easy way out then you're essentially acknowledging that it is a valid path to success. What then is the issue?
Playing in jiniors for two years as opposed to playing against men is the easy way out. Not the way to success.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Playing in jiniors for two years as opposed to playing against men is the easy way out. Not the way to success.

So no success for Sergachev, either, who also played two years in the CHL.

Mikhail Sergachyov at eliteprospects.com

And Meier must be ready to retire after playing three years, including his 18 and 19 year old seasons, in Junior.

Timo Meier at eliteprospects.com

Meanwhile, Guryanov has already become an NHL superstar after spending his 18 year old season in the KHL and his 19 year old season in the AHL playing against men. :snide:

Denis Guryanov at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad