C German Rubtsov (2016, 22nd, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Last year Rubtsov, experienced some adversity. It's a great thing for players to go through because you see how they deal with it. He might not have been scoring, but he certainly sharpened other facets of his game and he showed his versatility moving between wing and center.

I'm not worried about him at all. Once he gets the face off draws down, this is potentially an elite two-way center who will lead the penalty kill unit fur years and contribute 20 goals per year. That's a win in my book.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Last year Rubtsov, experienced some adversity. It's a great thing for players to go through because you see how they deal with it. He might not have been scoring, but he certainly sharpened other facets of his game and he showed his versatility moving between wing and center.

I'm not worried about him at all. Once he gets the face off draws down, this is potentially an elite two-way center who will lead the penalty kill unit fur years and contribute 20 goals per year. That's a win in my book.
Couts
Patrick
Frost
Vorobyev
Rubstov
O'Brien

Not sure where they all fit.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
How has he looked down the middle this season? In all the live viewings I had of him last season, I never saw a guy that was going to be able to cut it down the middle in the NHL. He couldn’t win a face-off to save his life and it seemed to really sap his offence too.

Obviously he’s been better in that regard so far but I still think he projects more as a 3rd line winger that could maybe play in the top 6 for spurts and be an insurance option down the middle if a guy gets hurt or is playing poorly.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
How has he looked down the middle this season? In all the live viewings I had of him last season, I never saw a guy that was going to be able to cut it down the middle in the NHL. He couldn’t win a face-off to save his life and it seemed to really sap his offence too.

Obviously he’s been better in that regard so far but I still think he projects more as a 3rd line winger that could maybe play in the top 6 for spurts and be an insurance option down the middle if a guy gets hurt or is playing poorly.

I've seen one AHL game. I'm really slacking. :laugh:

@Stizzle has probably seen most of them.

This Tweet by Brad Keffer sums it up pretty nicely. It doesn't include tonight's game where he had 1G + 1A.

Even while getting murdered in faceoffs and being a bit minus in 5v5 Corsi to start his pro career, he's overall performing towards the top tier of Phantoms so far this year.

I'm just happy to see him looking motivated and confident. Last year he was a rough watch. This year he is moving his feet, checking hard, and trying to create offense.

Rubtsov has developed some solid chemistry with, fellow rookie, David Kase. His other most common linemate has been Colin McDonald, who is just a veteran body, with no offense.

As for the question of him sticking as an NHL center. I don't know, maybe. Honestly, most of his ice time in North America has been on the wing. When he initially got to Chicoutimi, he played mostly on Nicolas Roy's wing and did very well. In Bathurst, he played some center, but mostly wing. So that's very much TBD.

He's got a lot of competition within the organization. Couturier & Patrick are likely cemented as the top 2. Then some other good options in Frost, O'Brien, & Vorobyev. Hextall loves lineup versatility. So his ability to play wing and center will help him a ton.

I'll say this. I know what he looked like last year. It wasn't good. My guess is his poor performance was something injury and/or off ice related. But that's just conjecture. It's early, but he looks much closer to the guy we thought we were getting at the '16 draft.

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
I'll say this. I know what he looked like last year. It wasn't good. My guess is his poor performance was something injury and/or off ice related. But that's just conjecture. It's early, but he looks much closer to the guy we thought we were getting at the '16 draft.
full

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Last season could have been something as simple as him not being happy with his living situation and language issues. Can't be easy going from Russia to Quebec as 19 year old. With the Flyers and Phantoms there are other Russians in the organization already settled in there to help him.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Last season could have been something as simple as him not being happy with his living situation and language issues. Can't be easy going from Russia to Quebec as 19 year old. With the Flyers and Phantoms there are other Russians in the organization already settled in there to help him.
I don't know if it was the transition or simply his own predilection to play defense, in a situation in which there were other established stars.

Many times, in my viewings, Rubtsov would initiate a give-and-go but not get it back, even when he was wide open. I had speculated on the Flyers' board that he might be better with higher competition and better teammates, given his high hockey IQ and skill level. This looks like it might be the case (pardon the pun) with his growing partnership with David Kase, another exceptionally savvy young player who excelled in Sweden last year. They are smart enough to play with each other and it's encouraging that the Flyers have a lot of very smart forward prospects (Vorobyev, Frost, Farabee, Laczynski, O'Brien, Ratcliffe etc.).

In the Memorial Cup they moved Rubtsov to the top line to shut down Sam Steel's line, successfully enough to win. He's a good two-way skilled player and hopefully after a good year in the A, and some natural filling out, he'll challenge for a spot on the big club next year. Our PK needs the help.

This is good interview with his Jr coach.: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...-prospect-german-rubtsovs-offensive-potential

Reactions: flyersfan187

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It’s the next best league for a player transitioning to the NHL longterm
The next best as history teaches us is the KHL, but Rubtsov ran away from the challenge deciding to play in juniors.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So what? He just turned 21 and is playing his first year of NA pro hockey. Get a grip.
All I said that at his age putting up whatever numbers in the minors is not impressive anymore, because there is no guarantee those numbers will translate.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
All I said that at his age putting up whatever numbers in the minors is not impressive anymore, because there is no guarantee those numbers will translate.
Because no 21 year old has ever become a decent player in the NHL after putting up good numbers in the AHL right? I like how youre saying that NA ruined him when his development was being stunted in the KHL :sarcasm:

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
The next nest as history teaches us is the KHL, but Rubtsov ran away from the challenge deciding to play in juniors.

His development in Russia was horseshit at best. That was his teams fault not his. Let’s not twist things. He ran to juniors for an opportunity to develop his game which he wasn’t getting in Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad