C Fyodor Svechkov (2021, 19th, NSH)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Difference is college guys can leave any time they want to. Russians can't unless they buy out their contract (or if it expires, obviously).

Some college guys want to leave, some don't for many years. Some also refuse to sign with the teams that drafted them and sign elsewhere.

Many NHL teams have burned themselves over and over again by passing up on Russians. But I think this is now changing.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Some college guys want to leave, some don't for many years. Some also refuse to sign with the teams that drafted them and sign elsewhere.

Many NHL teams have burned themselves over and over again by passing up on Russians. But I think this is now changing.

Personally I think college guys should have the same thing as CHL guys, even if they go the full four years. The NHL teams keep their rights for two years after amateur eligibility ends. But that’s a whole different story.

All I know is my team won’t be drafting Svechkov. Or the two other Europeans I want them to draft (Ilya Nazarov and Samuel Helenius) because they don’t have any Russian or Finnish scouts.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
All I know is my team won’t be drafting Svechkov. Or the two other Europeans I want them to draft (Ilya Nazarov and Samuel Helenius) because they don’t have any Russian or Finnish scouts.

Is this really how this works? Your team's GM can't watch the U18s on his computer?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Are the Pegulas being intentionally bad? There's no excuse for that.

I had no problem with the cutting down of scouts. They weren’t going to scout games and were just collecting games (they’d go to ~1 game a week and were mostly just shooting the shit when they did). Nor did I have a problem with them not hiring a bunch right away, given the season. But they should have started hiring scouts once different regions started getting games going. Even if it was just temporary one year contracts.

Instead the plan was for the scouts they kept, to do video scouting this year and then next year hire more scouts. Still, even one year of a terrible draft or missing out on potential free agents can screw your team for years to come.

Reactions: CanuckCity

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I had no problem with the cutting down of scouts. They weren’t going to scout games and were just collecting games (they’d go to ~1 game a week and were mostly just shooting the shit when they did). Nor did I have a problem with them not hiring a bunch right away, given the season. But they should have started hiring scouts once different regions started getting games going. Even if it was just temporary one year contracts.

Instead the plan was for the scouts they kept, to do video scouting this year and then next year hire more scouts. Still, even one year of a terrible draft or missing out on potential free agents can screw your team for years to come.

I would guess they're still paying for European scouting consultants sometimes? Many teams do, and when they cut full time scouts the presumption is that just means they rely on the consultants more, who might be better scouts anyways.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I would guess they're still paying for European scouting consultants sometimes? Many teams do, and when they cut full time scouts the presumption is that just means they rely on the consultants more, who might be better scouts anyways.

Possibly. Nothing has come out on that though. The only one who has survived is their DEL scout. And that’s because he’s now... something important in the organization. I dunno what exactly his title is, but he’s now on his 2nd job since the purge.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I can see Svechkov being one of the surpise picks in the top 10 based on his U18's and that fact he is projected to be a C. He is probably the 3rd/4th best C on the board and a lot the the teams in the top 10 need C's over Wingers.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
He could. You’ve seen the shit show that is the Sabres currently though, right? We have 6 scouts combined at the pro and amateur levels. Not 6 at each level.

COMBINED!!
Lmao... I could see Kevyn Adams go up to select his player:

"With the first overall pick, the Buffalo Sabres are proud to select...(glances at Central scouting rankings)...Owen Power!"

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I can see Svechkov being one of the surpise picks in the top 10 based on his U18's and that fact he is projected to be a C. He is probably the 3rd/4th best C on the board and a lot the the teams in the top 10 need C's over Wingers.

I'd say second best center behind Beniers (I could see McTavish playing wing in the NHL instead of C.)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Playing in the Lada Togliatti system forward Fyodor Svechkov split his draft season between the VHL and MHL. Playing against men in the VHL, he put up five goals and 10 assists for 15 points in 38 games played. In the Russian junior league, Svechkov was dominant. He scored four goals and 11 assists for 15 points in 15 games. Svechkov was chosen to play on the Russian team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He scored four goals and six assists for 10 points in seven games. Svechkov helped the Russian team bring home the silver medal. Svechkov will be moving up to the KHL with SKA St. Petersburg next season. He has signed a contract through the 2022-23 season.

In 2019-20 Svechkov put up just two goals and six points in 24 MHL games. He added one goal and three points in two games in the Under-18 league. He was dominant in the U-18 playoffs with eight goals and seven assists for 15 points in nine games. Svechkov also scored six goals and two assists for eight points in six tournament games. He won a gold medal and was named to the tournament all-star team.

2021 NHL Draft #32: Fyodor Svechkov Scouting Report

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If teams are really that concerned about waiting, then they shouldn't draft college guys.

college guys the team management can easily pull them out at any moment. Can't do this with a player under contract with a Russian club.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
college guys the team management can easily pull them out at any moment. Can't do this with a player under contract with a Russian club.

Svechkov won't be ready for next 2 years. There is a good chance he'll come to the league exatly when he's ready. And even then he'll probably play some time in the AHL.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad