C Eetu Selanne - Los Angeles Jr. Kings, T1EHL U18 (2016 undrafted)

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Was he chosen to the team or was he invited to the camp?

If the GM and Coach haven't seen him play, that's just flat out wrong. As much as I love Selanne, I can't support nepotism. Hopefully that's not the case.

At this point it does smell like nepotism. But at least he hasn't made the team yet, and he shouldn't if he's not good enough. Nevertheless, I do understand that they want every even remotely promising offspring of a Finnish NHL player to represent Finland and get them the license to do so. If that's all right with the kids and their parents and it gives us better depth of young talent, I'm all for it.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
At this point it does smell like nepotism. But at least he hasn't made the team yet, and he shouldn't if he's not good enough. Nevertheless, I do understand that they want every even remotely promising offspring of a Finnish NHL player to represent Finland and get them the license to do so. If that's all right with the kids and their parents and it gives us better depth of young talent, I'm all for it.
Personally I don't care about the passports, as they are just technicalities. More important thing is to me where they've played their youth, and clearly Eetu isn't much of a product of the Finnish junior system. As an example, in this sense to me Haula is less Finnish player than Barkov is.

Last edited:

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Personally I don't care about the passports, as they are just technicalities. More important thing is to me where they've played their youth, and clearly Eetu isn't much of a product of the Finnish junior system. As an example, in this sense to me Haula is less Finnish player than Barkov is.

This is a BS statment. And to be fair, if Haula had stayed in Finland to play his junior years, he wouldn't be anywhere near a NHL player.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

How do you define who's a product of the system and who's not? Where do you draw the line? The Kapanen family moved back to Finland when Kasperi was 14. Is he a product of the system or not? And if not, what country should he play for considering that he was born in Finland and doesn't even seem to be a U.S national? If Haula can't even play for any other national team besides Finland, what does it matter if he's a 'less Finnish player'?

It's not that I don't see what you mean, I do, but I just don't think it's very relevant. Technically passports are the most relevant matter, but to me it's about what the player him or herself wants.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Don't have any hopes for Eetu. High or otherwise.

Most notable thing I can say about him he was annoying on Twitter constantly *****ing about Boudreau benching his dad. Even when Teemu was playing useless hockey. You could tell what the narrative was in the Selanne household toward the end of Teemu's career.

Last edited:

mikko1995

May 30, 2010

Most notable thing I can say about him he was annoying on Twitter constantly *****ing about Boudreau benching his dad. Even when Teemu was playing useless hockey. You could tell what the narrative was in the Selanne household toward the end of Teemu's career.

A kid wants to see his dad play more? What a surprise!

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Guys, let's not forget this is just a kid - a 16 year old is supposed to be an opinionated know it all. 50 million years of evolution and whatnot.
But also in terms of who he is, we don't really know anything and he could be good, he could be a dud. We'll see. Yeah its a bit unfair he gets pulled out of the hat but thats why they did it in unimportant tournament, it would be impossible to do in an important tournament. But still, he's just a kid, and if he's dumb enough to read these threads (referring also to the finland board) then let's hope this fires him up and noting else.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Why is he playing for the Jr Kings instead of the Jr Ducks?

As far as west coast AAA goes right now, since the LA Jr Kings and LA Selects merged a few years ago they've become the basically undisputed best program in the region. They play in the tier 1 league which provides good exposure. The ducks for example play in the naphl, which on the whole is a much weaker league and worse exposure.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
So there's a possibility of a Forsberg and Selanne duo in the NHL yet again. That'd be something.

APVJ

Jan 27, 2015
Red Bank, NJ
Reality check:

Eetu Selanne won't play either USA or Finland, he's not good enough. Only reason he got invited is his last name.

Eetu Selänne is not going to play in NHL.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006

God, the teenager I voluntarily follow on twitter is being an obnoxious teenager!!

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
So there's a possibility of a Forsberg and Selanne duo in the NHL yet again. That'd be something.

He is a nineteen year old in a very low level league, he is so far behind the curve compared to prospects. Maybe he could play in the ECHL someday if he develops well...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ari Mennander, who wrote Teemu's biography, said on Finnish radio last week that the supposedly most talented son is the youngest one but the other brothers "work harder".

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
He is a nineteen year old in a very low level league, he is so far behind the curve compared to prospects. Maybe he could play in the ECHL someday if he develops well...

He's a late-'97 so he actually just turned 17 and is not even draft eligible this year hahaha. He's not a bad player, he's not the best player ever but seems that he's continuing to improve. I agree though I don't project him as being a guy who is seriously in the draft mix next year. Hopefully he makes the transition to Jr. Hockey next year. He had said he was considering the WHL and NCAA both at one point so potentially USHL as well.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If he's lucky, someone burns a draft pick in the 7th round for the novelty of drafting a Selanne. Doubt it'll be the Ducks. Madden and Co take their jobs very seriously and don't waste picks.

Either way, unless he turns into a viable fourth liner with grit I think the odds of him getting good enough to be a top 6 player in the league are close to zero. The ONLY thing he stands to benefit from is an expansion of two more teams in the league. Then if the stars align and he has a magnificent spike in development he can eek his way in.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
If he's lucky, someone burns a draft pick in the 7th round for the novelty of drafting a Selanne. Doubt it'll be the Ducks. Madden and Co take their jobs very seriously and don't waste picks.

Either way, unless he turns into a viable fourth liner with grit I think the odds of him getting good enough to be a top 6 player in the league are close to zero. The ONLY thing he stands to benefit from is an expansion of two more teams in the league. Then if the stars align and he has a magnificent spike in development he can eek his way in.

Yea. He really doesn't play that bottom six style of game. He could be a nice college player at the end of the day.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
This is a BS statment. And to be fair, if Haula had stayed in Finland to play his junior years, he wouldn't be anywhere near a NHL player.
That is beside my point.

How do you define who's a product of the system and who's not? Where do you draw the line? The Kapanen family moved back to Finland when Kasperi was 14. Is he a product of the system or not? And if not, what country should he play for considering that he was born in Finland and doesn't even seem to be a U.S national? If Haula can't even play for any other national team besides Finland, what does it matter if he's a 'less Finnish player'?
I didn't say they shouldn't play for Finland, no question about that, only that it is hard to see certain players who spent the defining important years of their development elsewhere as products of the Finnish system. Hard to draw a line, but if I was going to write a rulebook about this, peewee hockey years should probably get less emphasis.

It's not that I don't see what you mean, I do, but I just don't think it's very relevant. Technically passports are the most relevant matter, but to me it's about what the player him or herself wants.
Often lesser players want to play for the smaller countries, just because that increases chance to make that team. And atheletes generally, but luckily IIHF rules makes country hopping pretty hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad