C Dylan Strome - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd rather stick with Hanifin. Just seems like a perfect dman prospect, no real flaws, and has the size, skating, etc to boot. Leafs desperately need a dman like him... More so high on Hanifin becoming a high end #1 dman than Draisaitl becoming a high end #1C. IMO ofcourse

As for Strome, still think he will go top 5, as I don't think scouts will forget the regular season he had.. plus there's so much room for improvement for Dylan. Massive potential

If you guys wanted that future 1C it's a deal that you should make. If not then taking Hanifin is definitely not a wrong choice!

Not a chance in hell. I'd rather take Marner over Draisaitl tbh. Nothing against Drai, I think he's criminally underated thanks to the games he played in Edmonton.

Marner is a tremendous talent however I wouldn't take him over Leon unless you think that Marner is a C going forward. I was on the Hanifin then Strome train had we picked 3rd or 4th but after watching the last 2 rounds of Erie's playoffs it would've been Hanifin or bust IMO. IMO for TO the order would be Hanifin > Draisaitl >Marner but that's just my take on it.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If Toronto has any sense they WILL NOT choose Strome.

Stack the back end with Hannifin, or go with Marner if given the opportunity.

:yo:

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
many draft lists have this kid at 4.. but i think hes so overrated. just looked like utter crap in the last two rounds of the OHL playoffs. just a tire fire. honestly i would take hanifan, provorov, barzal, werenski and marner way before him.

people have been saying marner is the lesser of the two, but i think hes head and shoulders better comparing the talent of the two teams (knights vs otters)

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
If you guys wanted that future 1C it's a deal that you should make. If not then taking Hanifin is definitely not a wrong choice!

Marner is a tremendous talent however I wouldn't take him over Leon unless you think that Marner is a C going forward. I was on the Hanifin then Strome train had we picked 3rd or 4th but after watching the last 2 rounds of Erie's playoffs it would've been Hanifin or bust IMO. IMO for TO the order would be Hanifin > Draisaitl >Marner but that's just my take on it.

I really don't get Oiler fans. Both Marner and Strome significantly outproduced Draisatl's production in his Draft+1 year in their draft year. Please explain to me why Draisatl is even close to either of these two prospects? His production certainly doesn't compare. He also doesn't have the elite tools that the other two have (Strome actually has elite size and Marner has elite quickness).

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
IMO TO should float Hanifin for Draisaitl. That would be a good trade for both teams IMO.

Even if the Leafs were interested in Leon Draisaitl, I'm betting that Peter Chiarelli will try to get a little too smart for his own good and want more from the Leafs than the 4th overall pick. In which case, the Leafs should take one of Marner, Hanifin, Crouse, or Barzal and not look back.

But in saying that, I'd rather the Leafs trade for Leon Draisaitl before wasting a top 5 pick on Dylan Strome.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

I think he'll be a C in the future, but even if he's not there's no need to trade away who I personally think will be the best out of the 4 for a centre just because we don't have one in year 1 of the rebuild. We're just starting our rebuild so help is needed everywhere. Plus, with Matthews and Brown available next year i'd be surprised if we weren't in a position to take one of them.

I wouldn't be against trading any of our D not named Rielly for Draisaitl though.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Strome is horrible. He should go 6th or later. Soft and invisible

If your thorough analysis is right and Strome is horrible then he probably goes undrafted. With advancements in scouting and a rising level of talent in prospects around the world, there's just no room for drafting horrible players.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He was apparently hurt in the playoffs, so I wouldn't hold that against him too strongly. With that said, I wasn't a fan of his game even when he was putting up big numbers. Big, smart and skilled, but I don't like his compete level, just has that slow/soft/invisible look on the ice too often for me, even when he's putting up points. Plus, I think his points are inflated quite a bit from playing with McDavid. I think he'll be a solid NHL player, but not a star, while I think Marner WILL be a star. My personal view is Marner > Hanifin > Strome.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
In the 1 and a half periods i watched of last nights game all i saw Dylan do was dump the puck in the O zone three times as soon as he came over center and then not even make an effort to get it back. I have not been impressed at all in his drive in the 7 or 8 playoff games I've watched. I don't see this guy being that dominant center like a Getzlaf that you win championships with. As a poster above has mentioned i don't see him with superstar potential but in Marner i do. Injured or not i wanna see some sort of compete in big games!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The ignorance in this thread on both sides.........please people do some research before you post.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
He was apparently hurt in the playoffs, so I wouldn't hold that against him too strongly. With that said, I wasn't a fan of his game even when he was putting up big numbers. Big, smart and skilled, but I don't like his compete level, just has that slow/soft/invisible look on the ice too often for me, even when he's putting up points. Plus, I think his points are inflated quite a bit from playing with McDavid. I think he'll be a solid NHL player, but not a star, while I think Marner WILL be a star. My personal view is Marner > Hanifin > Strome.

No he wasnt. Fans saw him under perform and so they started to grumble that he 'must be injured'.

Strome is a minor. The OHL , his coach and parents cannot allow minors to play while injured and risk stunting their growth or doing permanent damage to a child who is still developing. Fans see NHL players play while injured and simply assume anyone is allowed to do that.If the injury is itself minor, then its no excuse for not playing well.

The rest of your post is insightful and agree with it. Strome is going in the first round. His OHL scoring title puts GMs in a bind .

Can Strome get over his lack of footspeed and blase demeanor , or does he turn into Cody Hodgson?

That is the question.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
No he wasnt. Fans saw him under perform and so they started to grumble that he 'must be injured'.

Strome is a minor. The OHL , his coach and parents cannot allow minors to play while injured and risk stunting their growth or doing permanent damage to a child who is still developing. Fans see NHL players play while injured and simply assume anyone is allowed to do that.If the injury is itself minor, then its no excuse for not playing well.

The rest of your post is insightful and agree with it. Strome is going in the first round. His OHL scoring title puts GMs in a bind .

Can Strome get over his lack of footspeed and blase demeanor , or does he turn into Cody Hodgson?

That is the question.
Junior players play hurt all the time, especially in the playoffs. Many injuries can impair your play, but aren't necessarily the kind that you're at a high risk of aggravating further. Lots of minor fractures, deep bruises, etc. are like this.

With that being said, I didn't realize there was nothing official about Strome being injured, its all been pure speculation? He has certainly LOOKED slower and softer than normal in the playoffs, but speed and grit have always been two of his biggest weaknesses anyways, it could just be everyone else ramping up their intensity and speed in the playoffs, with Strome playing at more of his usual pace.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Depends how much Strome has told those around him about the severity of the injury, or how much pain he's truly in, and whether it's an injury the team medical staff can diagnose without having to rely mainly on the player's word.

Sam Bennett played most of last season, plus the entirety of the playoffs, with a shoulder that was so messed up that he had to have the surgery that kept him out for most of this season. So he's proof that even OHL players can play through a serious injury.

Maybe Strome's not hurt. We won't know unless he admits it. But the quoted above isn't quite accurate with regards to junior players playing through (serious) injuries.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I really don't get Oiler fans. Both Marner and Strome significantly outproduced Draisatl's production in his Draft+1 year in their draft year. Please explain to me why Draisatl is even close to either of these two prospects? His production certainly doesn't compare. He also doesn't have the elite tools that the other two have (Strome actually has elite size and Marner has elite quickness).

Draisaitl weighs 23 lbs more than Strome and is 2 inches shorter, you could show movies on his back(credit to chaotic). Keep in mind Draisaitl brings a 200ft game and produces these point totals against the oppositions best lines every night, i highly doubt Marner was facing top comps and i know for sure Strome wasn't. Neither have a 2 way game at his level nor does strome use his size as well as Drais does. If you think the other 2 have "elite tools" that Drais doesn't you need to watch the memorial cup. I'd rather have a 1.6-1.7 ppg large shutdown center than a 2 ppg center/winger that takes easy comps and thats not a shot at Marner or Strome.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Junior players play hurt all the time, especially in the playoffs. Many injuries can impair your play, but aren't necessarily the kind that you're at a high risk of aggravating further. Lots of minor fractures, deep bruises, etc. are like this.

With that being said, I didn't realize there was nothing official about Strome being injured, its all been pure speculation? He has certainly LOOKED slower and softer than normal in the playoffs, but speed and grit have always been two of his biggest weaknesses anyways, it could just be everyone else ramping up their intensity and speed in the playoffs, with Strome playing at more of his usual pace.

Its irresponsible to let a minor play an amateur hockey game with an injury that could hamper their physical development. I think you are talking about minor injuries . Not one that would cause him to suck completely. Even if the coach allowed something like that for reasons unknown, playing under those conditions is not helping his team but rather taking that ice time away from other players which hurt the team and his draft position.

What happened is that when the level of play became higher, he looks slower in comparison and soon was unable to be effective.

Wishing he is great so the Leafs can get their franchise center is one thing, hoping against hope that he becomes that guy is also irresponsible by the GM.

I doubt Arizona lets Hanifin go by. Leafs should pick Marner.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Depends how much Strome has told those around him about the severity of the injury, or how much pain he's truly in, and whether it's an injury the team medical staff can diagnose without having to rely mainly on the player's word.

Sam Bennett played most of last season, plus the entirety of the playoffs, with a shoulder that was so messed up that he had to have the surgery that kept him out for most of this season. So he's proof that even OHL players can play through a serious injury.

Maybe Strome's not hurt. We won't know unless he admits it. But the quoted above isn't quite accurate with regards to junior players playing through (serious) injuries.

The medical professionals cant do even a cursory exam to see if he winces in pain or not? I find that hard to believe. Stromes issue is his skating and effectiveness as a whole.

Sam Bennett's shoulder is much like Jake Virtanens shoulder which medically speaking is a risk but does not affect his skating stride or make the player useless. If Bennett and Virtanen were unable to hold their hockey stick properly they would be scratched.

Strome is skating around exactly the same way he was before so what kind of injury could it be? If he has a Charley horse or fractured leg the coach lets him play?

I do concede your point that there could be selected kinds of injury that players play through if it doesnt affect their overall game but I dont agree its wise for a minor to do so.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The medical professionals cant do even a cursory exam to see if he winces in pain or not? I find that hard to believe. Stromes issue is his skating and effectiveness as a whole.

Sam Bennett's shoulder is much like Jake Virtanens shoulder which medically speaking is a risk but does not affect his skating stride or make the player useless. If Bennett and Virtanen were unable to hold their hockey stick properly they would be scratched.

Strome is skating around exactly the same way he was before so what kind of injury could it be? If he has a Charley horse or fractured leg the coach lets him play?

I do concede your point that there could be selected kinds of injury that players play through if it doesnt affect their overall game but I dont agree its wise for a minor to do so.

Some kind of ankle sprain could hamper him, but not cause him enough noticeable pain that the doctors would immediately suggest he sit out. Or a bum knee that isn't necessarily sore, when the doctor makes him bend it, but is more stiff/lacking in mobility when he's on the ice. Or it could be a groin injury that, again, while not enough to leave him in constant pain or unable to move, is bad enough that it affects his ability to generate strength off his pushes.

Of course we could just be speculating and Strome might just have had a lousy playoffs. I'm just saying that it's possible that he's injured because even in junior, players play through injuries that are enough to hamper them but not keep them out entirely.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

That is the question.

Strome isn't a minor.

It's not unusual for players in the OHL to play while injured - but the end of the season, and especially a long playoff run, pretty much everyone will be nursing some type of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad