C Cutter Gauthier - Boston College, NCAA (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This year's McTavish? I don't think he'll go third like McTavish, but he might go earlier than most expect. Maybe sixth after Wright, Cooley, Nemec, Slafkovsky and Jiricek. He's big, strong, good skater, knows how to score and can play solid two-way game. Sounds like a very safe pick and even if he lacks elite tools, almost a goal per game (even in a team full of talent) in USHL is very impressive, no?
He won't be available for the Ducks to choose at #10 imo. Sens or CBJ if I had to make a bet.

JohnJim

Mar 19, 2022
He won't be available for the Ducks to choose at #10 imo.
"The Ottawa Senators are proud to select from the US National Team Development Program..."

Would fit the physical team profile the Senators are building and if he's available, they might take him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I have him at #5 on my final list. Here’s what I wrote about him:

“Big, strong skating power-forward that isn't afraid to use his body. He's good at using his size to win battles along the boards, and to get inside positioning on defenders in the offensive zone. He arguably has the best shot in the draft, it comes off his stick hard, and quick and often fools goalies. There aren't many players like him in the NHL, the only time you can get a player like this is through the draft”

steveromo

May 28, 2022
Not an expert on prospects but read about every scouting report on a lot of them. There really isn’t a guy I wouldn’t want that is available at 5 for the flyers but Cutter is one I would love too. Plus dudes got a sick name. Big, strong, great shot center would fit great with the flyers.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I am not really a fan of his game. He feels more like Kemell/Lekkerinmäki type player who shoots from everywhere and thinks shot first. Pure volume shooter. He has also played center in some games but I don't see how he has qualities for that position. I am not even that high on his IQ. That's about where his profile ends for me.

Even if you compare him to those two, he is like at least 1 year behind both of those. I really don't see how he has risen so fast in some people's rankings, some have him around top 10 even.

Can somebody explain to me what he has going for him other than shoot from everywhere attitude and maybe decent size? I feel like I am missing something on him.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I am not really a fan of his game. He feels more like Kemell/Lekkerinmäki type player who shoots from everywhere and thinks shot first. Pure volume shooter. He has also played center in some games but I don't see how he has qualities for that position. I am not even that high on his IQ. That's about where his profile ends for me.

Even if you compare him to those two, he is like at least 1 year behind both of those. I really don't see how he has risen so fast in some people's rankings, some have him around top 10 even.

Can somebody explain to me what he has going for him other than shoot from everywhere attitude and maybe decent size? I feel like I am missing something on him.

He’s bigger and faster than both. Also more physical while being about as good a shooter.
You don’t see how that type of player should go above them?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t see Gauthier as this pure sniper people talk about. He’s a good two way center that’ll stick in the middle with size, physicality, skating, and defensive ability. He also has a good shot that’ll score him some goals. He’s being drafted so high because he’s at least a middle six center. If the offensive game pops the way some think it can, he’s a 1B/2A center.

Reactions: sting101

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I don’t see Gauthier as this pure sniper people talk about. He’s a good two way center that’ll stick in the middle with size, physicality, skating, and defensive ability. He also has a good shot that’ll score him some goals. He’s being drafted so high because he’s at least a middle six center. If the offensive game pops the way some think it can, he’s a 1B/2A center.

He’s spent greater than 80% of the season on the wing. You are literally describing another player.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Some team in the 3-7 range will think he can play up the middle with his size and speed combination and will reach for him thinking he can be that ever-so-elusive big 1st/2nd line center.

Reactions: bsu

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Some team in the 3-7 range will think he can play up the middle with his size and speed combination and will reach for him thinking he can be that ever-so-elusive big 1st/2nd line center.

I recall Pierre-Luc Dubois was a big riser in his draft year and was listed as a LW/C in the final draft rankings. I think Jamie Benn was the comp during the Draft broadcast for PLD too. If Gauthier truly projects as a center in the NHL, then PLD 2.0 would be a pretty nice hit and justify the gamble.

Reactions: JohnJim and bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If he somehow falls to the Ducks wouldn't be surprised to see him be our pick. Zegras, McTavish, Gauthier, Lundestrom is a good center core. He'd also be a great sniper with size for Zegras or Terry as well. I think he goes to the Sens or Blue Jackets though, if not those two than Buffalo would have interest too IMO.

Reactions: JohnJim

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Assuming the top 5 is some form of Wright, Cooley, Nemec, Slafkovsky, and Jiricek. If you're Columbus at 6, do you go for a Gauthier, Savoie, or Kemmell?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Assuming the top 5 is some form of Wright, Cooley, Nemec, Slafkovsky, and Jiricek. If you're Columbus at 6, do you go for a Gauthier, Savoie, or Kemmell?

Don't put it past Chuckles Fletcher to pass on one of the consensus top 5 prospects and take Gauthier 5th overall. He loves big shoot first players that play a straight-line game.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I feel like Marco Kasper is a safer choice as a center prospect there but not the 1B type of center right now. He has all the intangibles except scoring production. He is playing in a pro league at 17, but have read his shot has been mis-characterized because they ask him to play net front because of size but he can shoot. I feel he is a little bit of a reach at 6.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I would take Savoie - my issue with Cutter is he takes shifts off. I watched a shift by shift of the under 18’s and watched him coast on a lot of back-checking and defensive assignments. Not a scout but my personal opinion. Which means absolutely nothing to everyone else here. 😂

Knowing Jarmo the pick could be anyone he marches to a different beat. He zigs when everyone else zags and usually makes everyone else look foolish. Great evaluator of talent.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I feel like Marco Kasper is a safer choice as a center prospect there but not the 1B type of center right now. He has all the intangibles except scoring production. He is playing in a pro league at 17, but have read his shot has been mis-characterized because they ask him to play net front because of size but he can shoot. I feel he is a little bit of a reach at 6.

Kasper's shown a pretty good shot at the J20 level where he was able to score from distance more. In the SHL they use him in the bumper/net front and he's scored a lot on tips. I also agree that he's a slight reach at 6. I'm torn between Gauthier and Kasper at 8 for Detroit after cooling a lot on Savoie.

If I were CBJ I would run to the podium for Gauthier but I could also see him going 4 or 5 to Seattle or Philly. With his test scores, size and versatility it would shock me if he fell past 8 to be honest.

He won't be around for Buffalo's pick at 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad