C Cutter Gauthier - Boston College, NCAA (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I can see the Devils take him in the 9-10 range. Need a player that plays his style . If both stud RHD Jiricek and Nemec are gone ( very likely at 9-10 range ) then I can see them going with Cutter.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Not a ton but a few here and there. He’s getting more ice time playing on Cooley’s wing right now and looks kid usual self. Strong on the puck, physical and brings a nice tool set offensively.

At the end of the days he’s 6’3 body who skates incredibly well for someone that size, both speed and agility, really physical, good pucks skills and a fantastic shot. I can see a team taking him top 10. I personally wouldn’t because he’ll be more of a complimentary guy but wouldn’t bat an eye if a team took him 9 or 10. Reminds me a bit of Tom Wilson without the pure stupid illegal hits and we can all agree that’s a good player
I'd take a Tom Wilson clone on my team any day of the week. He might not score as many points as guys who will be drafted after him but the overall game he brings is worth more than just goals and assits.

Having a kid like that on Jack Hughe's wing would be exactly what the doctor ordered and would free up so much space for him to do his thing. Cutter seems to be a great finisher as well, so it's not like he'd be the big physical guy on a top line with no real skills.

If we're picking in the 7 to 10 range and Jiricek is off the board, he's the guy I want, even over someone like Nemec who I like but not in love with. Cutter Gauthier is exactly the type of player the New Jersey Devils need and would bring an element that is lacking on our team for ages.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I can see the Devils take him in the 9-10 range. Need a player that plays his style . If both stud RHD Jiricek and Nemec are gone ( very likely at 9-10 range ) then I can see them going with Cutter.

I would say the same thing about hte Sabres, who are expected to pick in that same range -- literally every word you said except "devils."

Hot take prediction: Gauthier goes before Savoie

Reactions: ginomini

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'd take a Tom Wilson clone on my team any day of the week. He might not score as many points as guys who will be drafted after him but the overall game he brings is worth more than just goals and assits.

Having a kid like that on Jack Hughe's wing would be exactly what the doctor ordered and would free up so much space for him to do his thing. Cutter seems to be a great finisher as well, so it's not like he'd be the big physical guy on a top line with no real skills.

If we're picking in the 7 to 10 range and Jiricek is off the board, he's the guy I want, even over someone like Nemec who I like but not in love with. Cutter Gauthier is exactly the type of player the New Jersey Devils need and would bring an element that is lacking on our team for ages.

If it wasn't looking like the Devils will be picking in the top 5 or 6, I'd have to worry about them grabbing Gauthier before buffalo does at 8 or 9.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not a ton but a few here and there. He’s getting more ice time playing on Cooley’s wing right now and looks kid usual self. Strong on the puck, physical and brings a nice tool set offensively.

At the end of the days he’s 6’3 body who skates incredibly well for someone that size, both speed and agility, really physical, good pucks skills and a fantastic shot. I can see a team taking him top 10. I personally wouldn’t because he’ll be more of a complimentary guy but wouldn’t bat an eye if a team took him 9 or 10. Reminds me a bit of Tom Wilson without the pure stupid illegal hits and we can all agree that’s a good player
Most guys taken in the top 10 are "complimentary" players. The tip of the pyramid is very, very small.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
I have had Cutter somewhere around 20 on my rankings for a while now, I think the goal scoring/size combo are a huge plus for him. His current game/toolset makes me lean towards a middle six center, and I could see a team taking him top 10 if he really fits the bill, but I can't justify taking him until around 15 personally. He's my third NTDP off the board after the obvious Cooley/Nazar. Howard as a mid second for me.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He’s been bouncing between 6th and 8th overall on my list for a couple of months. I’ve watched most of his USHL games. I’m a big fan. As a Coyotes fan, I’m hoping we can draft him with a pick we may get in a Chychrun trade (Columbus, Islanders, or Devils, perhaps).

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Anyways he could fall to the mid to late 1st round? Wonder if the Habs could package to CGY 1st a few of their many 2nd/3rd rounders to try to grab him.

I prefer Nazar, but I feel he'll be gone in the top 10.

Cooley+Gauthier+Caufield+Farrell would be a very interesting USNDT alum bunch to have in the system.

rt

May 13, 2004
Anyways he could fall to the mid to late 1st round? Wonder if the Habs could package to CGY 1st a few of their many 2nd/3rd rounders to try to grab him.

Cooley+Gauthier+Caufield+Farrell would be a very interesting USNDT alum bunch to have in the system.
I have him ranked 7th overall.

rt

May 13, 2004
Before Nazar???

I feel Gauthier could be a mid-1st, but maybe I underestimate how his stock has risen.
Yes before Nazar. Media scouts are hipsters who are always obsessed with certain types of players and devalue elements that NHL scouts never would. Nazar v Gauthier is a classic example. Scouts with blogs and YouTube channels are going to have Nazar way ahead. When McKenzie’s NHL scouts poll comes out, they’ll have Gauthier ahead.

Having said that, the social media scouts turn out to be correct quite often. They aren’t likely to take Ty Boucher top ten, as an example. Nor let Logan Stankoven fall as far as he did.

As for me, I’ve got Cooley ahead of both Gauthier and Nazar. Cooley is #4 for me right now. Gauthier is #7. I don’t currently have Nazar in my top 10.

This will change I’m sure. I haven’t watched a NTDP game in a month. I’ve been watching OHL and WHL more.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

I hope the Devils take him if Jiricek, Nemec and Slafkovsky are already gone.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes before Nazar. Media scouts are hipsters who are always obsessed with certain types of players and devalue elements that NHL scouts never would. Nazar v Gauthier is a classic example. Scouts with blogs and YouTube channels are going to have Nazar way ahead. When McKenzie’s NHL scouts poll comes out, they’ll have Gauthier ahead.

Having said that, the social media scouts turn out to be correct quite often. They aren’t likely to take Ty Boucher top ten, as an example. Nor let Logan Stankoven fall as far as he did.

As for me, I’ve got Cooley ahead of both Gauthier and Nazar. Cooley is #4 for me right now. Gauthier is #7. I don’t currently have Nazar in my top 10.

This will change I’m sure. I haven’t watched a NTDP game in a month. I’ve been watching OHL and WHL more.
I agree that Gauthier is likely to be much higher on team lists and smallish wingers generally much lower relative to where the media scouts put them. Nazar in particular though is having a torrid second half and is looking very projectable with his inside play, I think he goes top ten.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I wonder how much of this has to do with scouts not wanting to take a gamble on high-risk high-reward types because they want to remain employed.

Busts get you fired. Guaranteed NHLers that may not be as good as the higher risk alternatives do not.

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree that Gauthier is likely to be much higher on team lists and smallish wingers generally much lower relative to where the media scouts put them. Nazar in particular though is having a torrid second half and is looking very projectable with his inside play, I think he goes top ten.
There’s a good chance he ends up top ten for me too. I don’t watch games live. I binge watch multiple at a stretch. I’m way behind on NTDP games. Also, I’m not a scout. Haha. I’m a fan.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

No way he falls.

6’3” c/w, great hands, great straight ahead speed, solid shot, strong physical play. I think he’s a for sure top 15 or better pick. I think he falls somewhere between Josh Anderson and Kreider as a big north-south scoring winger.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nazar playing center over Gauthier might mean something to scouts though, don't you think? You would think a guy with the size/skating of Gauthier would be favored for that 2C spot.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Nazar playing center over Gauthier might mean something to scouts though, don't you think? You would think a guy with the size/skating of Gauthier would be favored for that 2C spot.
This is like the Cozens/Dach thing -- I don't think it means much, they may like to put the player who's better in transition in the middle. and it will probably switch as the games go on.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
No way he falls.

6’3” c/w, great hands, great straight ahead speed, solid shot, strong physical play. I think he’s a for sure top 15 or better pick. I think he falls somewhere between Josh Anderson and Kreider as a big north-south scoring winger.
His coach said recently that he just started learning to drive towards the net with regularity, which took him to another level. He apparently was used to being more of a skill player who shot from all over. So I think we're just starting to see him understand that he's an Anderson/Kreider, not a Zegras.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
His coach said recently that he just started learning to drive towards the net with regularity, which took him to another level. He apparently was used to being more of a skill player who shot from all over. So I think we're just starting to see him understand that he's an Anderson/Kreider, not a Zegras.

And that's probably how he will make his living in the NHL. The hands and shot are too good to not be a useful top 9 guy, so it really depends on his drive and consistency to be that modern day power forward.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I agree he goes before Nazar. I think he's been buried a bit kinda like Zegras was. I think a team is going to love Gauthier enough to grab him top ten. Hoping the Ducks can get him with their 1st.
I have been thinking similar to this as well.

Turcotte vs Zegras was an amazing debate back in 2019. Who was better, who would transition easier, etc. I thought Zegras was on par with Hughes talent wise, but you just didn't know if he could handle a top C role in the NHL (Hughes got that as well by some). Everyone felt Turcotte was the next coming of Toews (still very well could be)....but it is interesting to see who has established themselves as a NHLer between the two.

Fast forward to today with Nazar and Gauthier and though not exactly the same as Turcotte vs Zegras, there is some similarities here as Gauthier seems to be the Zegras with being underrated by many.

RT is an awesome poster, for him to say Gauthier is in his top 6/7 that is impressive to me. But for those that think Nazar is just some smallish skilled forward, I strongly feel you are missing out on his skill set as well. Nazar has strong two-way ability, a ton of heart and desire, he wants to improve his game nightly, he has been a coaches dream and I personally have him inside my top 6/7.

Is it possible both Nazar and Gauthier have been underrated for much of the season? I think this is actually the case. Gauthier I have seen ranked sometimes around 15-20 and that blows my mind a bit. Cole Caufield went that low because he was a smurf lol...I can't see Gauthier going that low, but I can see him outside of the top 7-8 at the draft. Gauthier is 9/10 for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad