C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Hard to believe anyone that skinny could play in the NHL let alone dominate when looking at Gretzky, crazy when comparing to NHL players today.
kane_display_image.jpg

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Agreed, he looks bigger than Hall and Seguin did in juniors both in height and in weight. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at 6'1.5"-6'2" and 200lbs. when it's all said and done and he finishes filling out.

McDavid is pretty much NHL Hall/Seguin build now...but playing in the CHL.

Imagine when he actually grows out the rest of his frame.:amazed:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
McDavid is pretty much NHL Hall/Seguin build now...but playing in the CHL.

Imagine when he actually grows out the rest of his frame.:amazed:

Seguin has a huge frame and comes across as very rangy. Definitely one of those players that looks bigger than his listing because of that. Looked similar coming out of Junior as well. Not sure McDavid looks as big, but size is certainly not an issue with him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's on the skinny side right now.

In the opening of the Soo-Erie TV broadcast they cross cut between McDavid tying up his skates and Nurse, and McDavid looked far skinnier than Nurse. And Nurse isn't exactly huge himself.

But I guess the frightening thing is McDavid could be even better with a good 10 pounds of muscle on his frame.

Taylor Hall is much bigger these days than he was in junior

tumblr_ms9ob425Xy1roo8dio3_1280.jpg

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Hard to believe anyone that skinny could play in the NHL let alone dominate when looking at Gretzky, crazy when comparing to NHL players today.

Yeah, well it's a different game today. Any comparisons to Gretzky are pretty dumb.

Topgoon

Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
Taylor Hall is much bigger these days than he was in junior

tumblr_ms9ob425Xy1roo8dio3_1280.jpg

No doubt that he's gotten bigger, but note that the image here is deceptively designed to impose size and power (fair, since it is advertisement!)

Tan - check (improves look of muscle tone)
Dramatic Lighting - check (further improves muscle tone)
Angle to show side of arms/bicep - check (increase size)
Flexing - check (increase size. Bigger veins)

Hockey is one of those sports that due to the surface it's played on, pure size doesn't translate directly to success - it really depends on the role. Not sure how much better Kane would be if he added on 25 lbs due to his style and role. Whereas, a guy like Byfuglien has made a career out of his size.

Another example - Jon Toews. He's definitely fit, but not comic-book hero huge... and I'd say he's pretty successful.

tumblr_inline_n1sbjyttMK1qmjhyx.png

Last edited:

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
No doubt that he's gotten bigger, but note that the image here is deceptively designed to impose size and power (fair, since it is advertisement!)

Hockey is one of those sports that due to the surface it's played on, pure size doesn't translate directly to success - it really depends on the role. Not sure how much better Kane would be if he added on 25 lbs due to his style and role. Whereas, a guy like Byfuglien has made a career out of his size.

Another example - Jon Toews. He's definitely fit, but not comic-book hero huge... and I'd say he's pretty successful.

Same with Stamkos - highly fit and a ton of explosive power but not massive.

nhl_g_stamkos_400.jpg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The kid doesn't even look like a hockey player. Swear I saw this kid in my bio 101 lab planting sprouts.

He is going to be crazy when he becomes a man and gets that man-strength, because I agree with BBO above that right now he does not rely on his strength at all. But eventually mcD will weigh 200 lbs and be strong.

He relies on reading the play before anyone else does and making pinpoint passes and shots. When he fills out and gets his man strength the sky really is the limit for him. I only really saw him a little at the WJC's because I didn't think that we'd be lucky enough to draft him but since starting to watch him he really is something special and there is most definitely room for him to grow which is pretty damn amazing in and of itself.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
He relies on reading the play before anyone else does and making pinpoint passes and shots. When he fills out and gets his man strength the sky really is the limit for him. I only really saw him a little at the WJC's because I didn't think that we'd be lucky enough to draft him but since starting to watch him he really is something special and there is most definitely room for him to grow which is pretty damn amazing in and of itself.

That's a lot like Reinhart, where you don't have to be as quick or as strong as everyone else because you are thinking the game at a step ahead of everyone else.

McDavid has that, plus he's super quick, PLUS he's just freaking amazing. So it's 10x scarier. :laugh:

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014

I've definitely read that article. It's from Men's Health :laugh:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Same with Stamkos - highly fit and a ton of explosive power but not massive.

nhl_g_stamkos_400.jpg

Wow what year is this for Stammer? His arms look smaller than mine in this pic but I assume it's also just the angle. Then again, hockey players don't need huge biceps.

If a guy like Patty Kane can get by without getting killed every game, I'm sure McDavid will be fine.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I hope McDavid doesn't get too big. A player like him needs to maintain his edge in shiftiness and mobility. Training with Roberts is good, though. Stamkos trains with him and still isn't that big, but has wiry strength and really good mobility.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I hope McDavid doesn't get too big. A player like him needs to maintain his edge in shiftiness and mobility. Training with Roberts is good, though. Stamkos trains with him and still isn't that big, but has wiry strength and really good mobility.

Think he'll be 6'2 205-210 range when fully matured

mjd

Mar 19, 2010
Brockville
Wondering if McDavid forgot that pre-game protein shake...Oshawa is up 2-0 nearing the end of the 2nd period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad