C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
He's not struggling as far as rookies go, but he's also not standing out or making the type of plays one would expect from a generational prospect. He's looked more like an above average 1st overall pick.

To be sure, he's been making smart plays, and has arguably been the Oilers best player. But he hasn't looked like the Connor McDavid ive come to expect.

Because Crosby looked amazing in his rookie preseason right?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I can't wait till McDavid gets sponsored by McDonalds haha.

Wonder what the tag line will be :P

344c924f68257bd44a943d98c16b79f6.320x204x1.jpg

McLovin it.

I'll show myself out.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Anyone that doubts McDavid is taking crazy pills.

it feels like people want him to fail because he is labeled "the next one."

to be honest, extremely sad and disgraceful. It's like the Crosby situation again, he comes into the league as the next great player, people are wanting him to fail already.

He had a pretty good 1st game, St.Louis is a extremely difficult opponent, but man.. Taylor Hall and McDavid do not make good line mates.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
it feels like people want him to fail because he is labeled "the next one."

to be honest, extremely sad and disgraceful. It's like the Crosby situation again, he comes into the league as the next great player, people are wanting him to fail already.

He had a pretty good 1st game, St.Louis is a extremely difficult opponent, but man.. Taylor Hall and McDavid do not make good line mates.

Not at all, Hall's been garbage; Can't pass, poor shot selection and turnovers. The first shift they were broken up last night McDavid looked dangerous, as he did his next shift. Unfortunately this happened late into the 3rd.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
McDavid looked great last night. Most explosive player on the ice for Edmonton. I thought RNH had a decent game also. He had some really solid scoring chances and created a bit with his speed. He has a long way to go on his draws though. Pretty much schooled by the Blues centers so his line spent a fair amount of time trying to get the puck back - same with RNH.

As a Blues fan, I am excited about the win, but you have to give credit where it is due. McDavid will have a great year (maybe not ppg, but still the best year since Crosby). I hated the hype around this kid, but it is well earned.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Things to take away from last night.

-Nervous in the first 2 periods; came on big time in the 3rd

-Played against the Blues at home, which is extremely difficult as an 18 year old

- Had a nervous Slep on his line who did nothing most of the game

-Hall is not a good pair with him. Connor seems to let Hall dictate what happens, which is bad because Hall is a stupid player ATM.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He really needs to be better in the faceoff circle. His line's offensive flow couldn't establish a rhythm because he was getting dominated on the dot. Hopefully for him, his 23% is an anomaly, or else serious work needs to be put in there, very quickly.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He really needs to be better in the faceoff circle. His line's offensive flow couldn't establish a rhythm because he was getting dominated on the dot. Hopefully for him, his 23% is an anomaly, or else serious work needs to be put in there, very quickly.

Do either of his wingers have a history of doing well at faceoffs? Eichel has the luxury of Kane and now Girgensons on his wing, two guys who can rotate in on faceoffs if he's struggling. Typically even the guys who wind up elite faceoff men struggle mightily many nights for at least the first half of their rookie season.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Do either of his wingers have a history of doing well at faceoffs? Eichel has the luxury of Kane and now Girgensons on his wing, two guys who can rotate in on faceoffs if he's struggling. Typically even the guys who wind up elite faceoff men struggle mightily many nights for at least the first half of their rookie season.

In camp/preseason McDavid showed good chemistry with Draisaitl, who can take face offs but he was sent down. Would definitely make sense to play him with someone who has faceoff experience. Hall could probably do it, but I hope those two get split up.

TheSanny

May 11, 2011
It was so frustrating watching the Oilers last night. I was really looking forward to see McDavid's debut game, but holy ****, that Oilers team is a HUGE turnover machine. McDavid was pretty good considering how poorly his teammates were playing.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
It was so frustrating watching the Oilers last night. I was really looking forward to see McDavid's debut game, but holy ****, that Oilers team is a HUGE turnover machine. McDavid was pretty good considering how poorly his teammates were playing.

So uhm... Oilers still a tanking team?

TheSanny

May 11, 2011
So uhm... Oilers still a tanking team?

Well, I'm not a fan of the team so I rarely watch their games, but it sure looks like it.
I've seriously never witnessed more turnovers in one game from one team than I did last night. They could barely get the puck into the O-zone.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Well, I'm not a fan of the team so I rarely watch their games, but it sure looks like it.
I've seriously never witnessed more turnovers in one game from one team than I did last night. They could barely get the puck into the O-zone.

I guess you never watched them for the past 9 seasons or so then. Last night was an improvement by their standards. Seriously.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
I only caught the third period and he looked good.

Judging a rookie in his first game, good or bad, is just funny. And that is coming from a buffalo fan who hopes we lucked out and Eichel ends up better long term. It is clear Mcdavid is a hell of a player.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
No matter how bad he is on the faceoffs, if you put him on wing he will not be even close to as effective as he could be at centre. At centre in the defensive zone he can use his speed by coming from deep in the zone up to the wingers once they get the puck up the boards and supports the winger with so much speed that it pushes defencemen back. That opens up so much space for McDavid to either dump it in or gain the zone. He does that so well and the details of the game is where he excels.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
To me, he looked too passive. Too many times i wanted him to use his speed and try to create a chance but deferred to Hall or someone else. I’m sure he will get better and look more comfortable as the season gets going. Looks to be a great player already tho, exciting when he gets the puck

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
People need to chill out with McDavid. He will be fine. Nowadays 18 years old kids don't come in and take the NHL by storm anymore. Eventually in the next 5 years or so he could be the best player in the NHL but not now. Every player in the NHL is in tip top shape and even the 4th liners in the game now are in unreal shape and can skate like the wind and can keep up and defend him. It is next to impossible for him to come in and dominate. Sure he will have a lot of areas to improve on as the season goes on but I think he will have just a decent year this year and continually get better.

I realize the hype the media and a lot of fans that they put on him all summer was insane and the fact that the Oilers basically changed their management team for him was crazy to see, but I feel bad for the guy cause all this added pressure is pressure he cant control. I know he has obviously put pressure on himself to hit certain goals this season but I would imagine they are goals that are way less than what has been hyped.

I realize that Oilers seem to be a hated team on HFBOARDS and other fans would love to see the kid flop, but that's not gonna happen. Unfortunately Oilers probably wont be a good team again this year and McDavid will go through many slumps, but he will learn from all this and will become a better player down the road.

I just enjoy the fact that I can see the guy potentially develop into a superstar and will help Canada in many World Championships/Olympics for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad