C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just watched the 2nd vs Canucks video....Taylor Hall kills soooo many plays, haven't watched him play in a while, brutal. I don't think McDavid should play with him in both videos he killed the play so many times with idiotic passes or just not receiving the puck. They have no chemistry and seems like they don't play well together, have they tried McDavid with Yak?

Not yet. Actually they played together for like 2 minutes and they scored twice (Yakupov to McDavid to Draisaitl for a PP goal) but the other one was an empty netter (McDavid to Yakupov).

I think the coaching staff is a little nervous putting Yakupov with McDavid and would prefer a more veteran player and they figured Hall would be a good fit.

And honestly I think that could be an OK fit. Just on sheer force of will and talent they probably could generate 3-4 good scoring chances a game and cash in on at least one a night on most nights.

But yeah it's probably not an ideal fit stylistically. Hall likes to carry the puck and hang onto the puck, Connor likes to carry the puck.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Connor needs shooters and guys that go to the tough areas on his line. Hall is neither right now. I'd love to see him flank RNH right now as they think the game at high levels, if not RNH then I'd like to see him with Draisaitl on his right and Slepyshev on his left.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think for Connor the first 30-40 games are going to be about figuring out what he can/can't do in the league and then adjusting his play to take advantage of his talents and better utilizing them at the NHL level. But there will be an adjustment period.

JA

I haven't counted, but from the few pages in this thread I perused, your countless contributions, you're just as guilty of adding to the hype...albeit the inverse negative hype...but just as guilty.
The opinions that have been cited have already shaped the expectations for this player over the past four years. Simply citing them in this thread should not increase expectations beyond what is suggested in the articles themselves; my point, though, is not to endorse the articles. I don't want people to accept these articles at face value.

The purpose of citing them now is to analyze the hype and to be critical of the hyperbolic language that the media has used to describe Connor McDavid, with the intended effect of lowering expectations.
What's wrong with that article? If anything it provides some good perspective for some people:

Even according to Gretzky it wasn't until half way through his first year where he started to feel comfortable playing at an NHL level.
Wayne has repeatedly compared himself with McDavid. By telling people that he had more doubters than Connor did, Gretzky is implying that more people have high expectations for McDavid than they did for him; Connor already has less to prove than Wayne did. He also encourages McDavid to "welcome that kind of pressure" -- to be the captain, win a championship, and essentially follow in his footsteps.

It took Wayne 40 games to feel comfortable, but by then he was already on pace to challenge for the Art Ross Trophy. Having Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and others should make Connor's transition even easier, according to Wayne.
Gretzky said people may forget, but he didn’t start his first season in the NHL on the first line.

“I didn’t have to go up against the No. 1 centre every night. Stan Weir was the guy to centre the No. 1 line. He was a veteran player. He was a sort of 25-goal, 45-assist guy and a strong two-way player.

“It took about 40 games in the NHL where I really felt mentally comfortable.”

McDavid does have three components going for him that Gretzky didn’t have in his beginning — Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins — although Eberle is out until November now with a shoulder injury.

“For Connor, I think those three players who have gone through so much to start their careers in Edmonton and been under the microscope and matured a lot and are really good players are going to be so important for him.

“Nugent-Hopkins might be more important for Connor in the sense that he’ll probably see the No. 1 matchup, especially on the road. That should take a lot of pressure off McDavid like it did me my first 40 games.”
This interview is consistent with his interview in which he suggested that Connor could break his records.
There’s another thing that Gretzky said is definitely different between his debut in the NHL and that of McDavid: Not everybody in the hockey world was guaranteeing No. 99’s greatness.

“I had a lot more doubters than Connor McDavid. Put it that way.” Gretzky isn’t a doubter about anything when it comes to McDavid. He believes McDavid will achieve greatness and waste little time doing it. “He’ll be up against men now. Everybody he’ll be going up against will be a good player. Travel is different. Lifestyle is different. But I anticipate and expect him to make a real smooth transition. I expect him to get off to a really nice start and have a great career.”

Gretzky is looking forward to being one of McDavid’s biggest fans and I’m convinced that’s because he sees so much of himself in the kid.

“He sees the ice and has great peripheral vision and he’s a hard guy to sort of blindside. That’s something you have to have, especially when you have a lot of focus on you,” said Gretzky in the half-hour telephone interview. “I tell people the same thing Glen Sather told me when I walked in the locker room when I was 17. He said ‘One day I want you to be the captain of this team and one day we’re going to win a championship. I think that’s the direction Connor is heading.

“And that’s not to put any undue pressure on him. Great athletes welcome that kind of pressure. And great athletes understand that’s what it is all about. You want to be that guy in that position... I really believe he wants to be that guy in that position... I think he’s going to be surrounded by players who want to be in that position. And as an organization they have a great scenario. They’re moving into a beautiful arena and fans are excited and ecstatic about what they have to look forward to.

“My goodness. I wish I was 18 and could play again.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not yet. Actually they played together for like 2 minutes and they scored twice (Yakupov to McDavid to Draisaitl for a PP goal) but the other one was an empty netter (McDavid to Yakupov).

I think the coaching staff is a little nervous putting Yakupov with McDavid and would prefer a more veteran player and they figured Hall would be a good fit.

And honestly I think that could be an OK fit. Just on sheer force of will and talent they probably could generate 3-4 good scoring chances a game and cash in on at least one a night on most nights.

But yeah it's probably not an ideal fit stylistically. Hall likes to carry the puck and hang onto the puck, Connor likes to carry the puck.

That's why IMO Hall would be best to be on a line that he can dominate the puck and not hold back anyone's talents while doing so. Hall-Lander-Purcell would probably work well IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The opinions that have been cited have already shaped the expectations for this player over the past four years. Simply citing them in this thread should not increase expectations beyond what is suggested in the articles themselves; my point, though, is not to remind people of what they should expect from Connor based on what these articles suggest. I don't want people to accept these articles at face value.

The purpose of citing them now is to analyze the hype and to be critical of the hyperbolic language that the media has used to describe Connor McDavid, with the intended effect of lowering expectations.

Wait until he plays 20 games before trying to do anything with expectations. If he comes out and has 5 points in 20 games then by all means lower them. If he is at or around a ppg then go off of that and see what you think then.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I watched the shift video against the first Canucks game on Thursday. I watched the game live but wanted to see McDavid specifically so I watched the video. He made 2-3 junior mistakes but otherwise I loved his game. He keep really deep into his own zone to support the break-out and honestly he couldn't have done better in that aspect, perfect. But what he did when he came really deep is he gave himself a lot of momentum and speed so once he hit his own blue-line he was at top speed ready to forecheck or zip into the zone with possession. And defenders see the speed so they back off and either give him a ton of space to wander around or he can stop, look for the pass but also gains the zone easily. In the zones, he's great positionally and wins puck battles with his stick, then he either moves it to the D or gets it back down low. And he can steal pucks so quickly with his stick whether it's his stick-lift or a poke-check, he closes in so fast that a defender has to move the puck quick or he's going to lose it and a chance the other way. Many times he caused turnovers due to his speed.

He's just getting comfortable which is the best part. He also has the poise and hands to breakdown defences, that will come soon with more familiarity.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The opinions that have been cited have already shaped the expectations for this player over the past four years. Simply citing them in this thread should not increase expectations beyond what is suggested in the articles themselves; my point, though, is not to endorse the articles. I don't want people to accept these articles at face value.

Well, aren't you just the good trooper! If you are that committed to lowering expectations, you should purchase space in the same newspaper where all this hyperbolic language is found.

Expectations are what they are...you do have the option of not reading articles with headlines including the name Connor McDavid.

McDavid should go on to have a 15 year NHL career, amassing a fortune in the process...and you are somehow more worried about hf hockey fans, and will he or won't he live up to their expectations. I think you got your priorities messed up. By the constant nonsensical drivel that fills this forum on a daily basis, hardly a hockey fan to be found, I couldn't care any less whether or not the expectations of the "hf hockey fans" are met.

Last edited:

JA

Well, aren't you just the good trooper! If you are that committed to lowering expectations, you should purchase space in the same newspaper where all this hyperbolic language is found.

Expectations are what they are...you do have the option of not reading articles with headlines including the name Connor McDavid.
What's the purpose of a message board if not to express our opinion of hockey-related issues? I don't care nearly enough about this issue to publish it in a paper or submit it to a blog -- although I could if I felt compelled to -- , but I should freely be able to express my disagreement with the mainstream publications here without being scrutinized for it. After all, none of our opinions have any bearing on the media, nor do our posts change the general perception of a player. The seven threads worth of discussion on this forum really don't mean anything in the greater scope of mainstream hockey analysis. There are better ways to have an impact on the general public perception, but that's not what I really care about in this instance.

I'm simply stating my perspective on this issue to the handful of readers here because this forum welcomes such contributions to a discussion. Nobody ever said anything else about the purpose of my posts except for you. I simply clarified after your initial post that my citation of the articles has not added to the hype for this player, but instead has been a critique of the hype. That's what you have failed to understand. Somehow, you have misinterpreted my posts as being an attempt to change other peoples' opinions about the player; you have tried to reduce it to a simple and narrow intention. I've simply used this medium to share my insights, much like everyone else here has -- those who wish to consider them are free to.
McDavid should go on to have a 15 year NHL career, amassing a fortune in the process...and you are somehow more worried about hf hockey fans, and will he or won't he live up to their expectations. I think you got your priorities messed up. By the constant nonsensical drivel that fills this forum on a daily basis, hardly a hockey fan to be found, I couldn't care any less whether or not the expectations of the "hf hockey fans" are met.
People are free to discuss hockey on this forum. Participating in a discussion does not mean one has their "priorities messed up." If you are not here to discuss these issues or to even consider them, then you should not be here at all. Anyone who contributes nothing and instead complains about what others are saying should do something that does not involve listening to others or talking about issues for the sake of knowledge and debate. The media do this too, but they are paid to do so. That doesn't change the spirit of discussion -- to learn from others and also to challenge their opinions.

Nobody can do anything to affect the player's career, nor should anyone. We all have our lives, and he has his. We are allowed to share our opinions, though, which is what this forum invites us to do.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Wayne has repeatedly compared himself with McDavid. By telling people that he had more doubters than Connor did, Gretzky is implying that more people have high expectations for McDavid than they did for him; Connor already has less to prove than Wayne did. He also encourages McDavid to "welcome that kind of pressure" -- to be the captain, win a championship, and essentially follow in his footsteps.

It took Wayne 40 games to feel comfortable, but by then he was already on pace to challenge for the Art Ross Trophy. Having Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and others should make Connor's transition even easier, according to Wayne.

This interview is consistent with his interview in which he suggested that Connor could break his records.

We know Wayne Gretzky's records will never be broken and his whole "this guy is going to break all my records" is just part of his "aw schucks" humble Canadiana schtick. It's become a running gag on this board, no one really takes those types of comments from Gretzky that seriously. Although you seem hellbent on it. Gretzky could get a nice haircut and claim his barber is the greatest hair stylist to ever lived, that's just Gretzky.

Hype is present in every sport, it's not a big deal. Every athletic guard to come into the NBA with good dunking skills has been called the "next Michael Jordan" for the last 20 years. Harold Minor, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Dwayne Wade, LeBron James were all "the next Michael Jordan" at some point. It's no big deal. It happens all the time. It's part of pro sports culture.

Last edited:

JA

We know Wayne Gretzky's records will never be broken and his whole "this guy is going to break all my records" is just part of his "aw schucks" humble Canadiana schtick. It's become a running gag on this board, no one really takes those types of comments from Gretzky that seriously. Although you seem hellbent on it. Gretzky could get a nice haircut and claim his barber is the greatest hair stylist to ever lived, that's just Gretzky.

Hype is present in every sport, it's not a big deal. Every athletic guard to come into the NBA with good dunking skills has been called the "next Michael Jordan" for the last 20 years. Harold Minor, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Dwayne Wade, LeBron James were all "the next Michael Jordan" at some point. It's no big deal. It happens all the time. It's part of pro sports culture.
Based on the articles that continue to be published on a daily basis, the discussion surrounding this player throughout the past four years, and the sheer promotion from endorsement deals, there are extreme expectations for him. The media will remind us every day of this for the next little while.

The hype is immense. Being in a Canadian market and, in all probability, the constant centre of attention over the next few years, there will be plenty of disappointment and discussion about his failure to live up to the headlines if he does not fulfill the role that so many envision him assuming. There is always a social consequence to not meeting expectations.

I am always amused by story lines in sports. This player's career will be entertaining to follow, regardless of its outcome. He either lives up to the hype or not, and in either case there are major implications. I do not think he can ever meet the expectation of becoming "The Next One," and I have justified my opinion. I remain open-minded, but that is my current opinion about this issue. I take particular interest in how he performs on the ice, as well as the relationship between the initial expectations, his career, the evolution of the public's perception of him, and his eventual reputation.

I am interested to see how his reputation develops. There's a sociological aspect to all of this that I find fascinating.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Based on the articles that continue to be published on a daily basis, the discussion surrounding this player throughout the past four years, and the sheer promotion from endorsement deals, there are extreme expectations for him. The media will remind us every day of this for the next little while.

The hype is immense. Being in a Canadian market and, in all probability, the constant centre of attention over the next few years, there will be plenty of disappointment and discussion about his failure to live up to the headlines if he does not fulfill the role that so many envision him assuming. There is always a social consequence to not meeting expectations.

I am always amused by story lines in sports. This player's career will be entertaining to follow, regardless of its outcome. He either lives up to the hype or not, and in either case there are major implications. I do not think he can ever meet the expectation of becoming "The Next One," and I have justified my opinion. I remain open-minded, but that is my current opinion about this issue. I take particular interest in how he performs on the ice, as well as the relationship between the initial expectations, his career, the evolution of the public's perception of him, and his eventual reputation.

I am interested to see how his reputation develops. There's a sociological aspect to all of this that I find fascinating.

Honestly you seem to be salivating at the thought of him failing. Whatever turns you on I guess.

Connor will decide how his career goes, and he'll be fine IMO. If that's not good enough for "TwitterHockeyExpert 20839" who's athletic talent begins and ends with being able to do a single push-up or "Hockey Reporter 298383" munching on a donught number three behind his Macbook, so be it.

I'm sure there will be a sad crowd whooping it up if he starts slow, but I also think McDavid will make those people eat their words in time if that's the case. Stamkos and Tavares went through similar things too ("Tampa should trade anything for Stamkos fast!" was all over this board after his poor rookie start).

Last edited:

JA

Honestly you seem to be salivating at the thought of him failing. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'm interested in observing his career, regardless of the outcome. If he manages to meet expectations, I'll be just as thrilled. The league would have an incredibly exciting player to watch. There is a sociological factor to pay attention to, though, and the developments associated with the public perception of him will always play a role in defining his legacy. I would like to observe objectively. You don't have to suspect that my analysis ever be tinted by any predisposition.

That said, I can still provide my thoughts about his game, including his tendencies, and try to gauge the quality of player he will most likely become based on everything I know of him so far. I've offered an honest opinion based on what I've seen, and I'll continue to be honest about my thoughts.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I've watched the second Canucks video, I have yet to see these struggles that people are speaking of. I guess not scoring points = struggling. :dunno:

He was always in the right position defensively. He broke up several plays defensively as well.

When he got his stick on the puck, it always ended up in the offensive zone, in other words when the puck touched his stick whether it be in the defensive or neutral zone it would end up in the offensive zone. He would either make a play defensively in the D zone that lead the puck in the offensive zone or a pass in the D zone or neutral zone that would end up with the puck in the offensive zone. Or it would end up in the offensive zone due to his skating.

He did make a couple of passes that got blocked by defensemen that he tried to center, he just needs to lift those passes. And he had one blunt turnover at the offensive blueline due to an errand pass.

But he was 6 out of 9 on draws by my count. And of course he created several great offensive chances, but they just didn't click this game, it happens. But not if you're McDavid, it's not supposed to. :sarcasm:

It just goes to show that with all the hype around McDavid, there is just as much negative hype (to be fair, it's just a reaction to the hype but still...). If you're going to watch this game with an agenda in mind, then yes you would see struggles somehow.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Here's a brand new article published a few hours ago by the Edmonton Sun. They did a half-hour phone interview with Wayne Gretzky.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/10/04/edmonton-oilers-legend-wayne-gretzky-talks-about-rookie-connor-mcdavid

Wayne sure isn't making it easy for Connor...

HOLY COW BRO. We get it, you don't think the kid is the Next One. Calm down. You keep talking about voicing your opinion about him, but all I see is you trying to force that opinion down everyone on here's throats. The sheer volume of posts and links on here by you suggest that you're leaning heavily toward him not reaching expectations, regardless of how you want to spin it so you seem like an "unbiased" observer.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I've watched the second Canucks video, I have yet to see these struggles that people are speaking of. I guess not scoring points = struggling. :dunno:

He was always in the right position defensively. He broke up several plays defensively as well.

When he got his stick on the puck, it always ended up in the offensive zone, in other words when the puck touched his stick whether it be in the defensive or neutral zone it would end up in the offensive zone. He would either make a play defensively in the D zone that lead the puck in the offensive zone or a pass in the D zone or neutral zone that would end up with the puck in the offensive zone. Or it would end up in the offensive zone due to his skating.

He did make a couple of passes that got blocked by defensemen that he tried to center, he just needs to lift those passes. And he had one blunt turnover at the offensive blueline due to an errand pass.

But he was 6 out of 9 on draws by my count. And of course he created several great offensive chances, but they just didn't click this game, it happens. But not if you're McDavid, it's not supposed to. :sarcasm:

It just goes to show that with all the hype around McDavid, there is just as much negative hype (to be fair, it's just a reaction to the hype but still...). If you're going to watch this game with an agenda in mind, then yes you would see struggles somehow.

He's not struggling as far as rookies go, but he's also not standing out or making the type of plays one would expect from a generational prospect. He's looked more like an above average 1st overall pick.

To be sure, he's been making smart plays, and has arguably been the Oilers best player. But he hasn't looked like the Connor McDavid ive come to expect.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
McDavid to me has looked very good in preseason but "different" than I expected. He actually has a more polished 2-way game than I imagined (which is extremely impressive) but his offensive game has underwhelmed me a little to be honest. I mean, he's playing against inferior talent in most cases, other prospects looking to make their teams. Maybe it was unrealistic, but I was expecting him to be shredding these teams in preseason and scaling it back once the season started. He's made some good plays offensively but nothing that "wowed" me and his shot (when he actually uses it) hasn't looked scary AT ALL. On the other hand, Eichel has really impressed me offensively. He's scored huge goals and at times dominated offensively, which is what I expected McDavid to do in spades.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
As I was looking through video today of the McDavid reports, one scout said that Connor was a cross between Rick Nash and Patrick Kane. Kane himself is a pretty tricky hockey player, and while Connor is a faster skater, Kane has two skills that McDavid lacks -- a great slap shot and a deadly wrist shot.

"

From what I've seen Kane does not have a great slapshot. His slapshots look like that of someone who doesn't take slapshots very often. And your video shows off his onetimer, which is more like a half snap shot.

So replace wristshot and slapshot with backhand and snap shot, then I might agree with you.

But Mcdavid's shot is now underrated - you'd think he has a peashooter of a shot. Needs more zip, but I think is pretty accurate already. One thing he's capable of doing, is sneaking a shot in front of defensemen, using them as a screen. Once he figures out he needs to shoot more, I'm guessing he'll shoot in that scenario more often.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
McDavid to me has looked very good in preseason but "different" than I expected. He actually has a more polished 2-way game than I imagined (which is extremely impressive) but his offensive game has underwhelmed me a little to be honest. I mean, he's playing against inferior talent in most cases, other prospects looking to make their teams. Maybe it was unrealistic, but I was expecting him to be shredding these teams in preseason and scaling it back once the season started. He's made some good plays offensively but nothing that "wowed" me and his shot (when he actually uses it) hasn't looked scary AT ALL. On the other hand, Eichel has really impressed me offensively. He's scored huge goals and at times dominated offensively, which is what I expected McDavid to do in spades.

ya I cant wait to see how McDavid and Eichel do once regular season starts.. gonna be awesome. I did see today that NHL.COM had Eichel as a pre season favorite to win the calder which surprised me a bit

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
Rookie point prediction for McDavid:

Using my point prediction model for draft eligible CHL forwards (NHLP), I compared McDavid relative to other top picks and how they progressed in their rookie season in the NHL.

Based on this, my points prediction for McDavid's rookie season is 77GP-28G-43A-71P

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

McDavid's major weakness is his shot outside the faceoff dots. It doesn't seem that threatening to me. He definitely needs to improve on that. However, his biggest strength is his ability to get to the top of the crease and uses his ELITE hands to make plays(either goals or assists) from in close. I think one of the biggest challenges for him for these types of plays is how quick the door closes in the NHL pertaining to goaltenders and gaps with the defenseman. He will need to get used to that.

With all that said, the underrated part of his game, his two-way game, will shine and will be his biggest impact, until he can get comfortable in the areas that he had in Juniors. His speed will be a huge asset in creating plays off of turnovers. He will be able to AT LEAST disrupt plays because of his ability to know where to go, and his ability to get there in a hurry.

It's not a question on IF he will be able to get comfortable, but WHEN he does. He's too good of a player not to be an impact player every night. I can't wait to be able to see him and Jack lead this league for newer generations.

As fans, we all win as we get to see such talented kids.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
He's not struggling as far as rookies go, but he's also not standing out or making the type of plays one would expect from a generational prospect. He's looked more like an above average 1st overall pick.

To be sure, he's been making smart plays, and has arguably been the Oilers best player. But he hasn't looked like the Connor McDavid ive come to expect.

So in perspective what are you expecting?

You say hes looking like a above average o 1st pick, and one of the Oilers best players.

Getting pretty close to generational? No?

Lets let the kid have 20 games in the NHL to figure out the travel, different time zones, different citys before we make a claim hes not looking like a generational prospect.

Hell even Gretzky only had 10 points in his first 10 games. Didnt score a goal till game 3.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So in perspective what are you expecting?

You say hes looking like a above average o 1st pick, and one of the Oilers best players.

Getting pretty close to generational? No?

Being the best player on the Oilers does not make someone generational.

Lets let the kid have 20 games in the NHL to figure out the travel, different time zones, different citys before we make a claim hes not looking like a generational prospect.

Hell even Gretzky only had 10 points in his first 10 games. Didnt score a goal till game 3.

I'm sure he'll do just fine. 65-75 points IMO. But it will take him a while to get going I think.

If he were to play the entire season like he did the pre-season, then I would be a bit disappointed. But that's very unlikely to happen.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Being the best player on the Oilers does not make someone generational.

I'm sure he'll do just fine. 65-75 points IMO. But it will take him a while to get going I think.

If he were to play the entire season like he did the pre-season, then I would be a bit disappointed. But that's very unlikely to happen.

Fair enough, I thought he looked excellent in the preseason. Oozing skill and speed. His game is going to take a little adjusting, but hes the real deal. No doubt about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad