C Clayton Keller - Boston University, NCAA (2016, 7th, ARI)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No, you started derailing it but digging up two old posts to show you liked Keller, like everyone did. Because he's awesome. And everyone liked him. Another user justifiably called you out for this behaviour. You misinterpreted the Crouse comment, as you often do. You famously preferred Crouse over Marner when you were going under a different name on the Leafs board, it's not like you would link those posts in the Crouse thread today. The only point is you are wrong about prospects as much as you are right.

Anyways as I previously said, I really think Keller can get close to 70 points. I expect him to take the Calder.

I see you decided to take your advice and not derail this thread further. Another fib. What in this post is new about Keller I ask. Nothing. You seem more intent on talking about Marner or Crouse. Stop derailing this thread. Also you are more concerned about posting about posters or what they consider as their true opinions to Kane. The insecurity is obvious here. I suggest you focus on Keller more, since it is about him. And if people liked him a year or 2 years before the draft or now. This is not your concern, there is no forum rule against this. Arizona fans are the real winners here. And that makes me very happy.

eddie416

Nov 23, 2015
DNoZ_YxW0AAk0WZ.jpg:small

Impressive start

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Keller is amazing. 11 goals on the year already. He may break Matthews 40 goals as a teenager record if he can stay healthy this year. What a deep and talented rookie crop this year is.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He basically creates his own offense. Very rarely does someone set him up for an easy goal. He's pretty predatory about strips and rebounds. It's great. Keeps the Coyotes watchable for the moment.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Keller is amazing. 11 goals on the year already. He may break Matthews 40 goals as a teenager record if he can stay healthy this year. What a deep and talented rookie crop this year is.

Keller might end up better than Matthews. He already having a better rookie season. He is better right now. His skill is unreal.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Keller might end up better than Matthews. He already having a better rookie season. He is better right now. His skill is unreal.

I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone agree with that, including pretty much every Coyote fan.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's just unbelievable what Keller is doing considering the team he has. Who knows what kind of things he could accomplish when he gets surrounded by some half-decent players with chemistry?

Agreed 100% he could easily end up the 2nd best player of the 2016 draft (Matthews being #1 obviously).

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
OEL still has the name recognition. It should be between those two. Although, in a division with Burns and Doughty as locks, a D spot is tough.
I want to see Keller in the 3on3 at the ASG if that's still a thing, I think that would be a treat to watch.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone agree with that, including pretty much every Coyote fan.
I am inclined to believe it. Obviously, it's still very early in Keller's career but he IS doing better offensively than Matthews at the same stage in his NHL career. Granted, Matthews played in the NHL one year earlier so that's a plus for him but from what Keller is showing, he has the potential to be better.

Reactions: Myers888

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Agreed Keller is an unreal talent. Interesting comparison you make.

Matthews at age 19 last year had 6 goals after 16 games. 4 were scored on opening night and scoring in 4 games out of 16.

Keller at age 19 has 11 goals in his first 16 games and while scoring in 9 of 16 games.

I will throw in Laine at age 18 had 11 goals in his first 16 games while scoring in 7 of his first 16 games.

An argument can be made Keller has had the best start or atleast is tied with Laine of these 3 most recent comparables you cite. And he is not surrounded with the same comparable talent. It is amazing thus far and just speaks to his quality.

Reactions: Myers888

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He might, but because the scoring is significantly higher this year I still think he'll need to hit at least very close to 50 for it to actually be a more impressive achievement.

Overall it does feel like people are ignoring this and just comparing points of this season's vs last's 1:1. It's clear that at least the slashing penalty change is increasing the amount of scoring significantly and that needs to be taken into account.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
It rattled me that Matthews missed out on the 2015 draft by 2 days, and who knows who Buffalo would've taken in that instance. However drafting Clayton Keller has put those sorrows away for sure.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I am inclined to believe it. Obviously, it's still very early in Keller's career but he IS doing better offensively than Matthews at the same stage in his NHL career. Granted, Matthews played in the NHL one year earlier so that's a plus for him but from what Keller is showing, he has the potential to be better.
The hype is getting out of hand.

Keller is a great talent obviously, but he's just as clearly riding unsustainable puck luck. Shooting at 19%, has 6.15 ixgf this season. There is a real chance that he hits 30 goals and that's it.

Reactions: Arizonan God

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The hype is getting out of hand.

Keller is a great talent obviously, but he's just as clearly riding unsustainable puck luck. Shooting at 19%, has 6.15 ixgf this season. There is a real chance that he hits 30 goals and that's it.

While that's on the high end, it's not unusual, especially for a pass first player (Tanguay was at 18.6% for his career avg). He is not a volume shooter having good luck. He's also not the recipient of a lot of great passes, as he creates or initiates damn near everything he's involved with.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I want to see Keller in the 3on3 at the ASG if that's still a thing, I think that would be a treat to watch.
Keller McDavid and Doughty as a line. Grab the popcorn and enjoy.

His goal against Washington was ridiculous. Just like many of his goals he creates it by himself or damn near by himself.

If before the season you told me he'd have these numbers playing on our 1st line with domi and Stepan I would've been impressed but thought man Stepan and Domi must be killing it. But Domi has been quiet by his standards, and Stepan had been crap. Keller has been the driving force.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
19% is on the high side, but 15% or better is not that unusual for good shooters in a season.

For example Laine shot 17.6% last season and is currently 16.3% this season. Matthews shot 14.3% last year and is currently at 18.9% this season.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Lol, no.

He’s had a great start, but it’s way too early to say he’s a better player than Matthews or even Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad