C Clayton Keller - Boston University, NCAA (2016, 7th, ARI)

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I was taking a look at the US U-17 Program and couldn't help but notice that this kid is really on a tear so far this season; he is leading the team in scoring by an absolute landslide at the moment and looks poised to become the next US kid representing the small stature/sky high skill movement.

I was hoping that someone who follows the U-17s and/or has followed Keller a bit up to this point in his career could give me some info on this guy. Is he as small/bigger than listed? If so, will his draft stock suffer from this a la Gaudreau? Lastly, where do you see him slotting in the draft at this point? Cheers!

Looking forward to watching this guy progress...a 12 point lead in scoring over his closest teammate is just absurd considering the typical strength of the NTDP squads.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I haven't been able to see him play against the USHL, but he was one of if not the best player at the U17 this fall. Electrifying talent.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
I haven't been able to see him play against the USHL, but he was one of if not the best player at the U17 this fall. Electrifying talent.

I can echo this. Haven't seen him at all outside of the U17 tourney but he was great. Was expecting him to thrive off of the space Max Jones was able to create for him but the offense started and finished with Keller. Great hands and vision

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I was taking a look at the US U-17 Program and couldn't help but notice that this kid is really on a tear so far this season; he is leading the team in scoring by an absolute landslide at the moment and looks poised to become the next US kid representing the small stature/sky high skill movement.

I was hoping that someone who follows the U-17s and/or has followed Keller a bit up to this point in his career could give me some info on this guy. Is he as small/bigger than listed? If so, will his draft stock suffer from this a la Gaudreau? Lastly, where do you see him slotting in the draft at this point? Cheers!

Looking forward to watching this guy progress...a 12 point lead in scoring over his closest teammate is just absurd considering the typical strength of the NTDP squads.

Pretty much Zach Parise 2.0. Similar size, tenacity and skill set. Definitely looks like a mid first rounder, like Parise. Doesn't have out of this world skill but a very skilled smaller player.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
I have seen him play many times over the years when he was the Blues AAA org. Always impressed with him. (They were such a good team with Brown centering one line and Clayton centering the other.)

I haven't seen him live since Shattuck. I do think his puck skills, passing and certain aspects of his skating (edges) are tremendous. The one skill that I think is world class is his timing/anticipation. He shows up at the right area at the right time better than anyone at his age. He also understands the timing of passing and holding onto the puck. To me it seems like he has a higher % of plays with the puck on his stick where he makes something happen very positive than most other high level players. The last game I saw when he was with Shattuck, there were so many positive plays he made with the puck with just simple pauses and misdirections that the vast majority of players do not do or have the puck skills in order to do it.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Love this kid. Could be a top10 pick if he grows. He's not even that small. 5'9 with the draft 1½ years away. He'll likely grow to 5'10 or 5'11 by that time. Might be as tall as 6'0 when it's all said and done. One of my favorite players for the 2016 draft.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
As others have said, not big but dynamic and super smart. Like his work ethic on the ice too. Was a standout for me during the U-17.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I can really see him ending up in Windsor after this year. He is big buddies with Logan Brown

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
I can really see him ending up in Windsor after this year. He is big buddies with Logan Brown

Does he not have acommitment to BU? I do not see him leaving, he gets to play in all situations at NTDP. Not like he is lacking ice time. But i could see other kids leaving? He is pretty small and will most likely need the time in college to get stronger and faster. Great hands but speed is good but not great for a smaller player. IMO.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The biggest difference for me between the U17 tournament and USHL play is that his lack of size and strength is far more apparent. I've seen him get rag dolled a number of times against USHL teams which is something that worries me a bit as many successful smaller players tend to avoid situations where that happens. He can be quite elusive at times though so perhaps if he bulks up a bit those instances will be fewer and farther between in the future.

That said, his skills are excellent and he has great potential going forward.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Any updates on this kid? Thoughts?

His numbers are spectacular, yet he gets little attention on here. It seems he has been climbing the 2016 draft projections.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Any updates on this kid? Thoughts?

His numbers are spectacular, yet he gets little attention on here. It seems he has been climbing the 2016 draft projections.

He's been playing on a line with Jeremy Bracco and Colin White with the U18 team. I don't like that line stylistically because both Bracco and Keller are playmakers that need the puck a lot but you can't argue with the numbers he's put up with the U18s.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He's been playing on a line with Jeremy Bracco and Colin White with the U18 team. I don't like that line stylistically because both Bracco and Keller are playmakers that need the puck a lot but you can't argue with the numbers his put up with the U18s.

And adding to that White isn't really a shoot-first player either. Lots of puck possession from these guys today but definitely too many forced passes and not enough shots.

Brandel*

He just had a fantastic goal at U18s. Cut from the boards to the slot and lifted a backhand high.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
He added two really nice assists later in the game.

I'll be very interested in seeing how he develops next year. He's still quite undersized but he seems to have the talent to potentially go very high in the draft next year regardless.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
I met a very nice guy from USA hockey today at the airport. Talked about the NTDP and he had great things to say about Keller. Said size is an issue but he does all the things that successful small players do. He slips hits and goes to the tough areas with a lot of pace and determination. Says he's slippery in the sense of Kane.

Disclaimer: he did not compare the skill levels or even overall style. He just said he moves around the ice like Kane does.

NotAlexHood

Nov 4, 2015
He's listed 6th on Craig Button's November rankings. This guy has unreal offensive skill. 29 points in 16 games. He is definitely going to be a player that people argue over because of the size, but his potential alone is definitely top 10.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Count me in in the Keller camp. Very high on this kid and have been for a long time. He could be a top10 pick and IMO should be a top15 pick at least. If he falls further than that some team is getting a steal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Think this is noteworthy given some older players were left off Team USA's Preliminary Roster yesterday. Clayton Keller was named to the preliminary roster.

When a 17 year old is named over some good older players, the kid is usually pretty good. I Hope he makes the final cut. He's a special talent.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
A Keller highlights video from a game last month. Led the U17s in scoring last season and easily leads the U18s with 16-34-50 in 25 games. When he committed to BU, I recall reading several comparisons to Zach Parise in talent and compete level.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A Keller highlights video from a game last month. Led the U17s in scoring last season and easily leads the U18s with 16-34-50 in 25 games. When he committed to BU, I recall reading several comparisons to Zach Parise in talent and compete level.

For all the smaller skilled players coming into the league. I am especially high on Keller. I think he may be one of the more special players with this profile for years to come. His skating and hands are potentially elite.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Man, this kid rips it up wherever he goes. Lookin forward to how he does in the NCAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad