C Brad Lambert - HIFK U20, Jr. A SM-liiga (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I’m not so sure he would go through the import draft, if he were to apply for the WHL bantam draft this year, I think he could be eligible? Much like Theo Rochette this past year. I assume he’d meet the criteria, I’m not even really sure how it all works because Rochette was eligible despite playing in Switzerland the last 5 years.

Yeah you just need dual citizenship and to apply and be accepted by Hockey Canada, there are some odd things that go on with it. But it seems if they think he's good enough to make national teams they will likely grant him the chance to apply for the WHL draft, which would be this year. After that he will have to apply for the import draft.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I still have hard time to believe that after all his games with Finnish U16 national team he would suddenly change to play for Canada. But you never know. I am with the thought that U17 WHC decision will be when the decision is made. If he is on team Finland, I don't think that will change.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I still have hard time to believe that after all his games with Finnish U16 national team he would suddenly change to play for Canada. But you never know. I am with the thought that U17 WHC decision will be when the decision is made. If he is on team Finland, I don't think that will change.

Didn't one of the Samuelsson brothers play with Sweden before committing to the US? Joakim Ryan too I'm pretty sure.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He has lived almost all his life in Finland and his whole life is here. Why would he decide to represent the Canadian national team?
Because his father and his family are Canadian. He goes back in the summer to train in Saskatchewan so like with the Foote's he might feel like representing where his father and where he feels he's really from. Doesn't really matter but personally hope he comes to play in the WHL more than who he represents internationally.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Didn't one of the Samuelsson brothers play with Sweden before committing to the US? Joakim Ryan too I'm pretty sure.
Yes, Philip Samuelsson and Joakim Ryan both played for Sweden, but I don't think they were eligible to play for Sweden in IIHF tournaments.

Even as a Swede, I personally hope that Lambert will represent Finland internationally.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
There was speculation that he may not even be eligible to represent other countries than Finland in IIHF events as he haa not played enough in Canada. That could change easily though if he decides to play in the WHL. I don't know if this is a fact or not.

But sure I hope he will play for Finland. It's his decision and I hope it's the right one with blue and white. :nod:

Yeah there are examples of this but I think this is a bit different.

Last edited:

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Because his father and his family are Canadian. He goes back in the summer to train in Saskatchewan so like with the Foote's he might feel like representing where his father and where he feels he's really from. Doesn't really matter but personally hope he comes to play in the WHL more than who he represents internationally.
Eh, he was born and raised here + he's half Finnish, so his family isn't fully Canadian. It could go both ways.

Reactions: Ryuk

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
There was speculation that he may not even be eligible to represent other countries than Finland in IIHF events as he haa not played enough in Canada. That could change easily though if he decides to play in the WHL. I don't know if this is a fact or not.

But sure I hope he will play for Finland. It's his decision and I hope it's the right one with blue and white. :nod:

Yeah there are examples of this but I think this is a bit different.
I know it's random but why is Canada red and Maple Leafs blue and white.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You think only the family of the father's side counts as family or something? As half of his family's just plain Finnish...

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
You think only the family of the father's side counts as family or something? As half of his family's just plain Finnish...
You misunderstood what I said. When I said his family it was referring to his father's family aka half of his. The question was why would he play for Canada and half of you being Canadian, training in the summer there is a reason. I'm sure he'll play for Finland but players in the past who are good because of their dads like the Footes and Chychrun have chose different countries that they grew up in.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
You misunderstood what I said. When I said his family it was referring to his father's family aka half of his. The question was why would he play for Canada and half of you being Canadian, training in the summer there is a reason. I'm sure he'll play for Finland but players in the past who are good because of their dads like the Footes and Chychrun have chose different countries that they grew up in.
There are also examples who have born and grown up in a different country than their father who represent different country. Samuelsson's, Wahlstrom and there are a lot of examples for Canadian fathers whose kids have born in the US and play for USA internationally.

Summer is nearly the only time he gets to see his family from Canada so it makes sense to train in Canada and spend time there.

I am sure they have spoken about this in the Finnish ice hockey association so they have an idea what Brad is going to do. At least I hope so.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Swedes are Always unlucky. Like 5 players from USA and Sweden has always chosed USA then puljujärvi with dual passports chose finland.
Why would he choose Sweden if he's fully Finnish and was raised in Finland? He can't even speak Swedish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad