C Brad Lambert - Pelicans Lahti, Liiga (2022 Draft) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
If you was Steve Yzerman and you have to choose
between Lambert, Slafkovsky and Miroshnichenko who you would take and why?

If I were Steve Yzerman, I'd have it

1A: Lambert - 1B: Miroschnichenko - 3: Slafkovsky.

I'll also be upfront - I've only seen a handful of games from Ivan and Juraj so far. I think I've seen enough to get a good impression, but my opinions here aren't as strong as they are for some of the NCAA and USHL players who I've seen play dozens and dozens of games. My opinions are definitely subject to change as the '21/22 season progresses, especially considering COVID has hindered a lot of D-1/D-2 hockey for this class.

Slafkovsky - I'm still a bit more skeptical of this players then others seem to be. I think a first round grade is fair for a player with his size, skill, and pedigree, but I can't commit much further than that at the moment. From what I've seen, Slafkovsky generates a lot of his offense by attacking defensemen in transition, utilizing his plus stickhandling to beat RHD off the left half wall. While it's fun to watch, I don't see that part of his game translating up very effectively. Large NHL powerforwards rarely try to dangle past defensemen at the blueline - not necessarily because they can't (although, to be fair, many can't), but because they have such a large radius of puck control that NHL defensemen are often well-positioned to stick check the puck away and create transition offense in the other direction. Instead, players of Slafkovsky's size are better served leveraging their size and edgework to maneuver by defensemen. I'd like to see this player improve his skating and start leveraging his size more effectively before I project his transition offense up higher levels.

In controlled 5v5 or powerplay situations, I've seen some encouraging signs. He can disrupt in front of the net or drift behind to dictate play in back of the goaltender. There, he seems to have the vision to pick out dangerous passes for primary or secondary assists. Still, I'd have to see him do this more frequently as the year progresses to project him as a really high-impact NHL winger.

Miroschnichenko - I think plays a game that translates up more easily than Slafkovsky's does. He has a hard wrist shot and a quick, accurate release on his one-timer that to me is encouraging for his scoring in controlled 5v5 and powerplay scenarios. I'd say he has plus foot speed and puck skill, and he leverages his strong frame effectively when moving past defenders. From that, I can see him continuing to generate offense in transition at higher levels. I haven't seen great vision or playmaking for this player yet. But I think that his scoring threat will draw attention from defensemen and goaltenders, so if he can see the openings that creates and execute simple, dangerous passes from those openings he should be able to generate assists too.

It feels lazy to compare one Russian powerforward to the last one, but I genuinely do see some real similarities between what I like in Miroschnichenko and what I liked in Andrei Svechnikov a few years ago. I think Ivan is pretty comfortably a top 10 talent for me this draft (although I don't love doing extensive lists this early), and I could certainly see an argument for him over guys like Savoie, McGroarty, and even potentially Lambert as the year progresses.

Lambert - blends aspects of what I liked in both Matty Beniers and Kent Johnson's game in what I see as a more balanced center package*. Like Beniers, I think his combination of powerful skating on a strong frame makes him a real asset in center-ice transitions. However, I think Lambert is more poised in controlled 5v5 and powerplay settings than Beniers is. I like the way he works off the left half wall, he has the patience and vision to execute dangerous cross ice passes, but he also has a strong enough wrist shot to present a scoring threat. In those settings, he reminds me a bit of more of Kent Johnson than Matty Beniers.

*Not to say he's like a perfect hybrid of those players. Beniers is a more effective forechecker and a better two-way player at this stage. I think Johnson has a level of skill and vision that I haven't quite seen out of Lambert yet. But I think Lambert is a nice middle ground between those two high-end center prospects from last draft class.

I have some questions about his decision-making and consistency, but that's pretty common for prospects and doesn't usually turn me off to their upside. I think he has the frame, skating, and playmaking combination to be an NHL center, and I think he blends controlled and transition offense well enough to generate offense consistently at the NHL level. For me, he's the #2 prospect until I see really strong evidence to the contrary.

The last thing I'd say on draft order is that a close call is always going to lean in favor of the center project. Top six centers are worth their weight in gold, which I think is evidenced by Beniers, McTavish, and Johnson all going top 5 this year, the buzz around a potential Eichel trade, Petersson offer sheet, etc. It's so difficult to get those players that if you have a chance to bet on a guy like Lambert I think you're only going to turn it down if you have an even better bet at that same position (like Shane Wright), a similarly talented defenseman, or a really transcendent winger. From what we've seen in recent drafts, I'd bet that Lambert goes #2 barring some real turbulence this season.

As a Wings fans I'd happily add any of these players, particularly Lambert and Miroschinchenko. Our biggest needs are a top 6C and a big, scoring winger, so they'd slot in nicely.

Last edited:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
But Räty might be bouncing back judging by his recent u-20 development tournament performance.

I meant the way he fell in the draft and was eventually taken in the 2nd round so people might be negative and expect similar type of turn for Lambert. Not necessarily drop to the 2nd round, just out of top 5 or something.

I am rooting for Räty (just like every Finnish prospect) and I am glad he had a strong tournament. I don't want to get too excited because it was a summer tournament and Räty had something to show while many others didn't. Let's see how he does in Liiga next season.

Reactions: slumpy43

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
If the draft is tomorrow I think it´s between these 3 like this :

1. Lambert 2. Slafkovsky 3. Miroshnichenko

And that´s also my current opinion on them.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Is this like a Steve Harvey beauty-paggent type situation here where you missed the winner and called the runner-up on stage (totally innocent I get it).

Shane Wright would have to do some MeToo# worthy offense to slide out of the top 3...

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Is this like a Steve Harvey beauty-paggent type situation here where you missed the winner and called the runner-up on stage (totally innocent I get it).

Shane Wright would have to do some MeToo# worthy offense to slide out of the top 3...

And with their first round pick, the Montreal Canadiens select.....

Reactions: Anardil

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
And with their first round pick, the Montreal Canadiens select.....

Anything can happen sure.

But in keeping with the times, as of yet we cant declare Wright guilty until we have at least one accusation against him... I know its a little bit draconian, but we can be ruining lives and careers based on (no) heresy, amirte?

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Anything can happen sure.

But in keeping with the times, as of yet we cant declare Wright guilty until we have at least one accusation against him... I know its a little bit draconian, but we can be ruining lives and careers based on (no) heresy, amirte?

My comment was not to suggest anything about Wright by any stretch of the imagination. My comment was more so an observation about your hypothetical #MeToo scenario that might drop him out of the top 3 and the most recent draft with the Canadiens selecting Logan Mailloux.

That being said I am a fan of Lambert’s game and I can’t wait to see what he can do at the next World Juniors.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Is it a conclusion that he plays in Finland?

Just was listening to a sharks podcast that had the longtime announcer of the Saskatoon blades on where he talked about how they will really try to tempt him to come over to the WHL where his dad and uncle both played when they were in junior.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He's under contract until 2022, yes. Although he hasn't really succeeded in taking the next step yet relative to his sky high expectations, still it would also feel like a setback if he would go from pros to playing junior hockey again.

Reactions: Jussi

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Feels like an overreaction to a summer tournament that Lambert had no stakes in. He's all but guaranteed to make the U20 squad in the end of the year. The most imporant thing is his upcoming Liiga season. I do agree that Lambert has his problems though and because the next draft is filled with talented players, Lambert's expected high pick isn't as set in stone as it once was, although those yearly rankings are always unreliable.
It's not only based upon the U20 tournament, but his last season in Liiga aswell where he started off decently but then dissapeared from the scoresheet.

Reactions: Ippenator

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

The poster was quite clear when he said "between these 3"

Reactions: Sinkkunaattori

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The poster was quite clear when he said "between these 3"

Wow Im shocked you bothered wasting your time (and now mine) with such a lazy shit post...

Lmfao so how exactly is this "quite" clear that he was selecting 3 random prospects and comparing only them, and not including Wright?

If instead he said "just between these three it's like this at the draft" = a comparison of three specific players, and not the rest of the draftees.. In our case it would be a super random post from OP that nobody asked for - why those three players in specific lol? But at least it would be "clear" thats what they meant.........

Saying "at the draft it's between these three" then numbering them #1, #2, and #3 - tends to lead one to believe that they are suggesting those three would be the top 3 picks in the draft.

:help:

Last edited:

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
Wow Im shocked you bothered wasting your time (and now mine) with such a lazy shit post...

Lmfao so how exactly is this "quite" clear that he was selecting 3 random prospects and comparing only them, and not including Wright?

If instead he said "just between these three it's like this at the draft" = a comparison of three specific players, and not the rest of the draftees.. In our case it would be a super random post from OP that nobody asked for - why those three players in specific lol? But at least it would be "clear" thats what they meant.........

Saying "at the draft it's between these three" then numbering them #1, #2, and #3 - tends to lead one to believe that they are suggesting those three would be the top 3 picks in the draft.

I think everyone except you knew what he meant.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Listen the fact is that you're the only one so far who didn't realize what he meant, so the problem is probably at your end. Sorry.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I said it already a year ago that his problem is that he just doesn’t have real top class hockey IQ. I got attacked by some fans and was told that he is absolutely exceptional. I still see the same problem with Lambert. A lot of speed, pretty good hands, but not great hockey IQ. He relies too much on his speed and hangs on to the puck way too much. Similar problem with holding on too much to the puck, as another Finnish prospect, Kaapo Kakko, has.

Of course Kakko isn’t as good in skating as Lambert is, but otherwise they seem to have similar issues with their hockey IQ. I’m not calling them really bad or anything like that, but I just don’t see them having very quick and creative hockey IQ (at the NHL level) and their passing decisions are way too slow to become real top class stars in the NHL. Both will most likely have a pretty nice career in the NHL, but I do find it hard to believe that neither will become much more than 40-60 point players in the future, which of course wouldn’t really be bad at all, if it would happen. I will be of course happy if either of them, or even both of them, become better players than I’m expecting.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Dude being on HF Boards is all about wasting time.

I'll give you an example right here,

So instead of acting like your avatar, you might have asked him, where do you place Wright?

But no instead you probably sent about a dozen guys googling "Steve Harvey pageants" and having them waste about 40 minutes down that rabbit hole.

giphy.gif

Well if you scroll up the page post #451 at the top is a long comparison about these 3 players.

Post 454 was this

See where he says it's between these 3 like this, it's almost like he was reading the page in sequential order or something?

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Here's how my logic would go:

Oh, he's not including Shane Wright or several other prospect who'd very likely go ahead of at least one of those players, and I really don't think that these three are set in stone as the top three prospects of the draft at all - he must be comparing just the three of them.

Here's how your logic goes:

Wow there's no Shane Wright, better start flaming.

Is reading really so challenging?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Could Lambert actually try to overtake Wright for 1st overall this year?

Short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: I think it'd take both a) a really, really excellent season from Lambert, and b) some turbulence on Wright's end, meaning poor performances or injury concerns (which of course no one wants to see). Even in that scenario I think Wright will have the inside track frankly.

At this stage I think it's more likely that Lambert slips out of the #2 spot than it is he surpasses Wright, and I say that as a fan of Lambert.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Is it a conclusion that he plays in Finland?

Just was listening to a sharks podcast that had the longtime announcer of the Saskatoon blades on where he talked about how they will really try to tempt him to come over to the WHL where his dad and uncle both played when they were in junior.

Yes Lambert will play in JYP this coming season because he's under contract.
Only scenario when Lambert can consider reporting to Saskatoon is that JYP goes bankrupt.
JYP's financial situation is not alarming serious for immediate bankrupt but it's bad.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Yes Lambert will play in JYP this coming season because he's under contract.
Only scenario when Lambert can consider reporting to Saskatoon is that JYP goes bankrupt.
JYP's financial situation is not alarming serious for immediate bankrupt but it's bad.
Fair enough. I’m usally of the opinion that guys that talented should be playing pro, but I’d love to watch him before he’s in the NHL

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Fair enough. I’m usally of the opinion that guys that talented should be playing pro, but I’d love to watch him before he’s in the NHL

It truly is really likely Lambert starts his season with JYP.
But things change drastic way if JYP sucks once again as bad what they did last season.

JYP was bottom 5 team in SM liiga last year
and they're supposed to be bottom 3 / bottom 5 team again this year as well.

JYP already had serious problems to pay player salaries last year.
So we can only guess what Lambert will do and how he'll react if JYP can't pay his salary.

For now there's no huge / alarming serious risk on JYP's bankrupt
but that might change during the autumn / winter.

Finland's covid19 situation has gotten worse since early July.
And new regional covid19 restrictions have been put in place.

Right now nobody in SM liiga teams and SM liiga management staff
do not know even that whether any match can be played in full stands
and how much audience can be taken into the matches.

Last season all 15 SM liiga teams lost hundreds of thousand euros of their annual revenue.
Worst revenue losses hit to my Favorite SM liiga team HIFK who lost 729 thousand euros.

SM liiga's and all SM liiga teams financial situation is so bad
SM liiga do not have afford to play without fans whole season 2021-2022.

And if the shit hits the fan really badly
we can only guess how many players will terminate their contracts with SM liiga teams
if SM liiga teams quickly become insolvent.

Of course i hope that any SM liiga team won't go bankrupt
and fans are allowed to the games even limited capasity ( 50-75 % of full capacity ).
But unfortunately covid19 is still serious threat so risks are there all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: themelkman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad