C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I was counting on there being a winter break on NHL schedule during the WJC time, I was doing wrong? I actually have no idea how the 19 y.o. NHL players have this far done with the WJC, I took it for granted that of course the national teams will ice the best U20s they got (unless they should be playing NHL games at the time) as it may be).

My lot will so totally be playing J.P. and P.L., and Aho and be lying his age if we need to.

Best under 20 players (available) that are not key pieces in the NHL this season. The bolded 3 could very well not be released by their assumed NHL clubs.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Any predictions on what kind of effect Babcock will have on Matthews development?

I could see him getting the same treatment Rielly got at the start of the year and getting heavy defensive assignments with little PP time. I expect offense coming from defense to be a big focus. Hes already got the cycle game Babcock likes.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Best under 20 players (available) that are not key pieces in the NHL this season. The bolded 3 could very well not be released by their assumed NHL clubs.

Ah, okay. I may have allowed myself to be waylaid by the occasional internet commentators who have slagged on the WHC for not being best-on-best and therefore is nonsense tournament, and who have vocally considered WJCs to be more important tourney as there you have the best-on-best of at least the U20 players, and bought what they were selling at the face value.

Or then we just recently have moved to an uncharted territory where the best U20 players suddenly are in, hah, keerole for their NHL teams. How fast do them kids grow up, nowadays. :)

I wonder if the playing young in various men's leagues will become a thing for the best draft eligibles minus 1 year, after Matthews who did in NLA and them Finns who get promoted to FEL teams from the junior teams out of necessity. You start to get left behind, in development sense, if you're still playing in a junior series in the season preceding your Draft.

Last edited:

Kanu

Coach Potato
May 10, 2016
Ah, okay. I may have allowed myself to be waylaid by the occasional internet commentators who have slagged on the WHC for not being best-on-best and therefore is nonsense tournament, and who have vocally considered WJCs to be more important tourney as there you have the best-on-best of at least the U20 players, and bought what they were selling at the face value.

Or then we just recently have moved to an uncharted territory where the best U20 players suddenly are in, hah, keerole for their NHL teams. How fast do them kids grow up, nowadays. :)

I wonder if the playing young in various men's leagues will become a thing for the best draft eligibles minus 1 year, after Matthews who did in NLA and them Finns who get promoted to FEL teams from the junior teams out of necessity. You start to get left behind, in development sense, if you're still playing in a junior series in the season preceding your Draft.

I think for any NHL team with u20 players, if the players are doing well and not struggling with the speed of the NHL, the team will opt to withhold them from the WJC. I think Matthews will transition well to the NHL, so I don't think they'll be interested in him playing in the WJC.

Marner will also be eligible, and I could see the team letting him go, even if he's made the team out of camp, because I think he'll take a bit longer to get used to the NHL. He would be one of the leaders on Team Canada if he went.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think for any NHL team with u20 players, if the players are doing well and not struggling with the speed of the NHL, the team will opt to withhold them from the WJC. I think Matthews will transition well to the NHL, so I don't think they'll be interested in him playing in the WJC.

Sounds plausible, though on the Finnish guys part I kind of would see it fitting for the mentality that they would at least ask, or the very least to be open to the possibility of being released to participate the WJC, but of course everything depends hugely of how the fall goes in NHL (or affiliate league) and it's I guess the team's say finally.

It may as well be that they aren't up for kiddie games anymore, though I would kind of perversely want to see the team selections for the WJC turn into arms race now that (likely) NHL-proven youngsters will be eligible for more than one team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sounds plausible, though on the Finnish guys part I kind of would see it fitting for the mentality that they would at least ask, or the very least to be open to the possibility of being released to participate the WJC, but of course everything depends hugely of how the fall goes in NHL (or affiliate league) and it's I guess the team's say finally.

It may as well be that they aren't up for kiddie games anymore, though I would kind of perversely want to see the team selections for the WJC turn into arms race now that (likely) NHL-proven youngsters will be eligible for more than one team.
No player asks to leave the NHL to go to the WJC. They only go if they are usually AHL or about to be sent back to junior. Laine won't be there most likely, there is a chance with Puljujarvi and Aho.

Matthews was also a rare case where he could get a visa in time to start the season, and no one held his transfer card. That will never happen with CHL guys. And its not like the OHL has been surpassed by any other development path, I don't see guys like McDavid, Tavares, Stamkos, Hull, Kane, etc as having been left behind.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I could see him getting the same treatment Rielly got at the start of the year and getting heavy defensive assignments with little PP time. I expect offense coming from defense to be a big focus. Hes already got the cycle game Babcock likes.
I think its more likely he gets the Nylander treatment to start, which is sheltered minutes and zone starts, especially if he is partnered with one of or both of JVR and Marner. Kadri will most likely be doing the heavy lifting in defensive assignments, year 2 I think is where Matthews will start getting challenged with PK and defensive situations. Remember Rielly was entering his 3rd year.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Matthews vs. Marner dressed up in NT uniforms would be a seller though. The tourney is in the Americas the next time. Is USA-CAN in Toronto? ;)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews vs. Marner dressed up in NT uniforms would be a seller though. The tourney is in the Americas the next time. ;)
Not in MTL and people really don't travel heavily for it. Round robin is in Toronto for Canada, but Canada games will sell out regardless and people will watch. Its a fun, exciting tournament, but these guys have nothing to prove at the u-20's, they go back if they aren't ready, not for ratings or selling tickets. Plus, considering how much of a hard time the IIHF can give the NHL, I don't think they are interested in doing them too many favours.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
No, I'm laughing at the Sabres' GM for not even getting one of Ekblad or McDavid after two years of next level abject, blatant tanking.

Yeah it's too bad for the Sabresn that their blatant tanking didn't pay off, whereas the Leafs blatant tanking did pay off because they won the lottery.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Yeah it's too bad for the Sabresn that their blatant tanking didn't pay off, whereas the Leafs blatant tanking did pay off because they won the lottery.

Didn't pay off? They got Eichel, a first in the vast majority of drafts. The reason so many teams tanked last year was BECAUSE of Eichel, not McDavid. The odds were small to get the first overall, but to finish last and guarantee yourself a player like Eichel if you missed on McDavid was too good to not tank for.

I feel like this discussion has been had many times on HF and most understood this.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Didn't pay off? They got Eichel, a first in the vast majority of drafts. The reason so many teams tanked last year was BECAUSE of Eichel, not McDavid. The odds were small to get the first overall, but to finish last and guarantee yourself a player like Eichel if you missed on McDavid was too good to not tank for.

I feel like this discussion has been had many times on HF and most understood this.

I was being sarcastic in response to someone calling out the Sabres for blatantly tanking when the Leafs did the exact same thing. He was laughing at the Sabres for losing the lottery, even if they had no control. It seems like he was justifying Toronto's tanking because they won the lottery. I just think we should make sure that Matthews pans out (not saying he is going to bust, but it is a possibly with any highly touted player) before celebrating winning the lottery and scorning Buffalo for losing the lottery and "only" getting Sam Reinhart and Jack Eichel.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

The problem people have with the sabres tank is that the GM cried
To the media when he lost the lottery. Add that to the fact that they rallied to avoid the 3 pick system and had an almost historically bad season. If you argue against the new rules, you are obviously planning to tank.

The leafs didnt wine about the new rules, won with like the worst odds ever, and actually improved in points last year.

I was all for the sabres winning it in 2014. Their behaviour left a bad taste in my mouth personally in 2015. To get a player the caliber of eichel and cry about it is pretty bad

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
The problem people have with the sabres tank is that the GM cried
To the media when he lost the lottery. Add that to the fact that they rallied to avoid the 3 pick system and had an almost historically bad season. If you argue against the new rules, you are obviously planning to tank.

The leafs didnt wine about the new rules, won with like the worst odds ever, and actually improved in points last year.

I was all for the sabres winning it in 2014. Their behaviour left a bad taste in my mouth personally in 2015. To get a player the caliber of eichel and cry about it is pretty bad

This narrative that Murray was "crying" about losing the lotto is just plain wrong. He had been asked specifically about McDavid for months and after losing the lotto the media tried saying he was upset about losing and only wanted McDavid. In reality he was only answering the questions asked of him. He didn't whine about losing the lotto, he said he didn't know why he had to be in Toronto when the lotto was announced. The president was already there to watch the drawing and he had been called in from scouting players to stand up and look surprised that he lost a lotto. I agree with him, the pomp surrounding the Lotto last year was rediculous and he knew he was getting pick 1 or 2, why did he need to be there?

As for him petitioning to stop the rule change, that's also false. He was asked about the vote and gave an honest answer, something he does often and we love about him, but the media only does it because he gives honest opinions and they can turn it into a hot take. The Sabres didn't stop the lottery changes, they don't have veto power over board of governors decisions. The teams voted to change them the following year, probably because what Murray said was true, a bunch of teams were trying to rebuild and changing rules on the fly would be unfair. Whatever the reason it was decided by all of the teams that changes would happen to the odds last year and that this year the number of lotto spots would change. He didn't cry or ***** or complain, he gave an honest answer to a question. We are just so used to cookie cutter PR answers that whenever someone says something outside the norm everyone loses their ****.

Nugey McNugeson

Nov 24, 2014
Edmonton
Not really a fan of the leafs or their fans but I'm honestly really excited about how Babcock molds all these prospects into a team. Exciting times with Matthews, Marner and Rielly

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Since HF is gone July first they need to end their run by giving Matthews an 8.0 C after the draft.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Not in MTL and people really don't travel heavily for it. Round robin is in Toronto for Canada, but Canada games will sell out regardless and people will watch. Its a fun, exciting tournament, but these guys have nothing to prove at the u-20's, they go back if they aren't ready, not for ratings or selling tickets. Plus, considering how much of a hard time the IIHF can give the NHL, I don't think they are interested in doing them too many favours.

I'm staying on the fringe of being OT here, but what about the sporting dimension outside of what individual players need or want? I would like to believe that the national hockey association or whoever it is that is responsible of the (junior) national team shenanigans does and kind of is expected to have a keen interest on being successful in the WJC tournament as a team and a hockey nation. I mean, there's some nobody fly-poo European country holding both the U20 and U18 title as we speak, this just can't be so! Not when the NHL is trying feverishly to elevate hockey as a sport in the USA! And the World Cup really isn't projected going to do that for Team USA...

Team USA went to give a spot to a non-Drafted 18 y.o. Matthews on the National Team, and though both came out better of that; is there really no conceivable chance of Team Junior USA to pull a little quid-pro-quo here and ask Matthews to do this little service back on his last eligible year? What with the Olympics, and the picks for the Olympic team possibly coming up again soon enough, hint hint.

I mean, one of them Toronto guys went to play to the KHL for a year, for just to get to the Olympic team. ;)

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm staying on the fringe of being OT here, but what about the sporting dimension outside of what individual players need or want? I would like to believe that the national hockey association or whoever it is that is responsible of the (junior) national team shenanigans does and kind of is expected to have a keen interest on being successful in the WJC tournament as a team and a hockey nation. I mean, there's some nobody fly-poo European country holding both the U20 and U18 title as we speak, this just can't be so! Not when the NHL is trying feverishly to elevate hockey as a sport in the USA! And the World Cup really isn't projected going to do that for Team USA...

Team USA went to give a spot to a non-Drafted 18 y.o. Matthews on the National Team, and though both came out better of that; is there really no conceivable chance of Team Junior USA to pull a little quid-pro-quo here and ask Matthews to do this little service back on his last eligible year? What with the Olympics, and the picks for the Olympic team possibly coming up again soon enough, hint hint.

I mean, one of them Toronto guys went to play to the KHL for a year, for just to get to the Olympic team. ;)
No, its up to the Leafs, Leafs aren't relesing him for an IIHF event. If it was officially partnered with the NHL it'd be another story. Kids getting top 9 or top 6 defencement minutes don't get sent. Matthews isn't going to annoy his employers by asking time off to go to a junior tournament (his agent would advise against it) because there is no chance he gets sent. Auston Matthews playing road games in American cities does more to grow the game, than him playing a jr tournament in Toronto. American's outside of rare exception don't care for any tournament that isn't best on best, unless it involves there local college programs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Tempting fate, placed an order for a custom Matthews #34 jersey with the sale going on with Real Sports.

Gonna feel dumb if they don't go with Matthews lol.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No, its up to the Leafs, Leafs aren't relesing him for an IIHF event. If it was officially partnered with the NHL it'd be another story. Kids getting top 9 or top 6 defencement minutes don't get sent. Matthews isn't going to annoy his employers by asking time off to go to a junior tournament (his agent would advise against it) because there is no chance he gets sent. Auston Matthews playing road games in American cities does more to grow the game, than him playing a jr tournament in Toronto. American's outside of rare exception don't care for any tournament that isn't best on best, unless it involves there local college programs.

All of that does sound sensible, and prestige-wise it obviously would be a step down for an established NHLer, especially if and as NHL teams see it foremostly a prospect development forum.

But am I still correct in assuming that the U20 eligible rookies making a genuine impact in NHL level is a relatively new thing, especially on this width that several nations have them simultaneously? I'm under understanding that as a rule they also have not hithertoforth represented their country in WHC on their draft year either.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Tempting fate, placed an order for a custom Matthews #34 jersey with the sale going on with Real Sports.

Gonna feel dumb if they don't go with Matthews lol.

You wear it to the arena and give evil eye on everyone and everything if that should happen, as small man's silent protest at the system that is rotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad