C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
He viewed him as on the same level as Eichel (atleast last year), who he had as the 3rd best prospect of the 2013,2014 and 2015 drafts behind McDavid and Mackinnon. Ekblad was below Drouin and Jones, this is just factoring how he viewed the entering their draft. I'd say Matthews is in the company of all top centers taken recently outside of Crosby and McDavid. He's a prospect on the same level as Stamkos and JT.

This is exactly where he would slide in, with Eichel as well.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
zero doubt in my mind that Matthews would have gone 3rd. Not at all saying Eichel>Matthews but when you factor in Eichel and Matthews being closer than Pulu and Laine and that Buf picked 2nd and Ari 3rd it just makes sense that Buf takes the semi local kid in Eichel and Ari does the same with Matthews.
That's a pretty pointless statement to make then... When you're talking about a 2nd or 3rd overall pick and a potential franchise player, teams will take the BPA. Saying there is 'zero doubt' that Buffalo takes Eichel over Matthews for no reason other than that the former was born closer to Buffalo is just plain silly. Do you really think that professionals with their jobs on the line are going to say, "Well, Matthews and Eichel are neck and neck, but Eichel was born in MA which is closer to us than Arizona so we're going to take him."

Nobody should really say that there is zero doubt one would go over the other. I'd take Eichel over Matthews by a hair but it's extremely close and I'm not going to act like I know for a fact that NHL executives would prefer one over the other because there is no way of knowing.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
All I can imagine is a leafs in their prime power play.

JVR - in front of the the net
Matthews - right half boards
Nylander - left half boards
Marner - left point
Rielly - right point

Lol literally unstoppable. Anyone else salivating?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Another comparison I've considered (as if there aren't enough stylistic compatisons) is a guy that Babcock loved. A determined player with a great shot, excellent vision, and strong commitment to his own end. Not as flashy as Datsyuk, so I'd say Matthews compares well to Zetterberg. Babcock will certainly know how to work with that

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Eichel has better tools offensively, Matthews is better defensively. I would take Matthews.

but Matthews had better numbers in the US national program and put up an equally exceptional year in Zurich. I think it's close offensively, with Matthews getting the nod defensively giving him a better 2-way game. Matthews better 2 way game would put him over the top if we were comparing a pre-draft Eichel to the current Matthews. However, Eichel is more likely to show up on the highlight reel.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Malkin, getzlaf, kopitar? Not close his style reminds me of a faster Galchenyuk which is very scary

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Why does every Leafs related thread have to become a pissing match with other fanbases? Can we just stick with the Matthews discussion as a prospect? I don't give a rat's ass about who would go where in a hypothetical draft situation.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thought this video gave us good insight into Matthews work ethic and approach to getting better interesting Belfry is a consultant to the Leafs. If Matthews work ethic is close to Tavares then Leafs likely have a very dedicated player.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Agreed, think if JVR stays he'd be a good compliment on that line too.
JVR-Matthews-Marner under Babcock is making me smile.

I say give JVR to Nylander. Matthews and Marner could probably make a great second liner look like a great 1st liner.

-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Brown
Sosh-Kadri-Komorav

We haven't even started talking about Leipsic, Leivo, Kapanen and Johnson yet. :amazed:. The GOAT can now settle in as a great 4th liner as well. Thank you Matthews :bow:

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
I agree on the less Flashy version of Malkin. This draft is basically Malkin-lite versus Ovechkin-lite.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
More like Malkin-heavy... Matthews will be at least as good as Malkin.

giphy.gif

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ive always thought a more dynamic Toews. Which is super elite. He seems like he is bred for New NHL. Can dominate in small space, phyiscal, speedy and agile.

Predictions for rookie season: 23 g - 40 a - 63 points in 82 games

Interesting how Babock handles him, never had a top 5 pick before to break into NHL

XO

Nov 4, 2009
:laugh: The usual suspects have already started saying it. No worries, it'll be the same as the Marner/Strome polls.

People were saying it before Leafs won the lottery though. It's close between Laine and Matthews at this point.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I really hope this isn't the expectation that will be placed on the poor kid.. "has to be at least a top 3 player in the league or its a disappointment".

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
:laugh: You wish.

Malkin is the third best player of his generation, behind only all-time greats like Crosby and OV. If Matthews ever reached those heights, he'd be exceeding all expectations.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
McDavid, Eichel, Matthews for the next generation? LOL let's just hope.
Love all three of them but I think only McDavid is likely to reach Crosby/OV or even Malkin-level. Not that that's really a bad thing... big shoes to fill. I think Matthews (and Eichel) will be a Tavares/Stamkos level player but not generational like Sid/OV.

Even as a Canucks fan, I'm quite happy for the Leafs. They've been through hell and back and deserve a player of Matthews caliber.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Ive always thought a more dynamic Toews. Which is super elite. He seems like he is bred for New NHL. Can dominate in small space, phyiscal, speedy and agile.

Predictions for rookie season: 23 g - 40 a - 63 points in 82 games

Interesting how Babock handles him, never had a top 5 pick before to break into NHL

Now Babs will have two for next year to break in:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad