C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOUNCE

Jul 22, 2007
Edmonton
Matthews is a unbelievable talent. I'm happy for Toronto fans, I think Matthews will be one of the best centers in the NHL with McDavid soon.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He's pretty good too.
Yeah, but not close to the player anybody expected him to be. He was supposed to neck and neck with McDavid. I tried to hold back expectations, but people forced the notion that Eichel is on McDavid's level. You're doing it with Matthews too, I think Matthews has a better shot, but still won't get it.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm a Leafs fan who loves Matthews to an unhealthy degree but just stop with the McDavid talk. Respect the god.

I feel blessed we have a kid with the potential to be the 2nd best player in the world someday. I really feel like that's possible if he hits his ceiling.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Yeah, but not close to the player anybody expected him to be. He was supposed to neck and neck with McDavid. I tried to hold back expectations, but people forced the notion that Eichel is on McDavid's level. You're doing it with Matthews too, I think Matthews has a better shot, but still won't get it.

He's played one season and scored more points than Tavares and Stamkos did their rookie years, but your trying to make him out to be a bust or something. I wonder why that would be?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
McDavid is the best prospect I have ever seen and followed in the OHL, he was a tier above the Stamkos's and Tavares's of the world. Matthews is consistently amazing me, but I don't think he's in that McDavid tier. He is making a strong argument to be the 2nd best prospect since Crosby, but I don't think there is a tier distinction between him, Tavares, Eichel, and Stamkos (an argument could also be made for Mackinnon). Either way, I am ecstatic to watch his career develop, his hockey IQ, agility, puck control and shot have created a very unique player. The fact the Leafs have 2 other high-end prospects about to break through and of a similar age to accompany him is a massive bonus.

Leafs major issue is on D, but Zaitsev is starting to make me a believer, which means we only really have one glaring hole in our top 4. The major thing is that Rielly takes that next step into becoming a top 20 to 15 defender in the league.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
First post, this guy is freaking amazing, I think he is actually already better than Eichel is currently. He seriously has no flaws it's crazy how complete a player he is already. His movements remind me of Malkin but he plays a very good 2 way game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I guess it depends on how many arbitrary tiers you want to make up. As far as I'm concerned McDavid hasn't proven he's deserves his own special tier. He may but he's not done it yet.
I'd say the fact he scored at a rate in his 17-year-old season in the OHL that hasn't been seen since Lindros and put up a ppg as an NHL rookie should put him a tier above everyone else. He was second in the league in P60 (if you ignore Connor Brown and his massive 7 game sample) behind Patrick Kane, while Eichel wasn't even in the top 100 (Neither was Tavares in 2009, Mackinnon was 39th in 2013, I can't find the numbers for 2008).

I really don't get what McDavid would have to do to show you, he is in a tier above every prospect since Crosby. For a player to come into the league as an 18 year old (get injured mid-year) and be able to play 45 games and produce at a rate better than established superstars is incredible.

Edit: If Matthews manages to be in the top 30 in P60, as a Leafs fan I would be ecstatic and he would have exceeded mine and 99% of the Leafs boards expectations for him.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I'd say the fact he scored at a rate in his 17-year-old season in the OHL that hasn't been seen since Lindros and put up a ppg as an NHL rookie should put him a tier above everyone else. He was second in the league in P60 (if you ignore Connor Brown and his massive 7 game sample) behind Patrick Kane, while Eichel wasn't even in the top 100 (Neither was Tavares in 2009, Mackinnon was 39th in 2013, I can't find the numbers for 2008).

I really don't get what McDavid would have to do to show you, he is in a tier above every prospect since Crosby. For a player to come into the league as an 18 year old (get injured mid-year) and be able to play 45 games and produce at a rate better than established superstars is incredible.

Edit: If Matthews manages to be in the top 30 in P60, as a Leafs fan I would be ecstatic and he would have exceeded mine and 99% of the Leafs boards expectations for him.

He needs to perform at a Crosby level over a full season, is it really that hard to expect? He hasn't done that but he may do it this upcoming season until then he's not on that level. The same standard applies to Mathews but as far as prospects they are on the same level.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
He needs to perform at a Crosby level over a full season, is it really that hard to expect? He hasn't done that but he may do it this upcoming season until then he's not on that level. The same standard applies to Mathews but as far as prospects they are on the same level.

He will be better than Crosby by November.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He needs to perform at a Crosby level over a full season, is it really that hard to expect? He hasn't done that but he may do it this upcoming season until then he's not on that level.
Except you said he's not a tier above the prospects drafted after Crosby. No rookie has had even close to McDavid's production in the last 10 years. McDavid's per-minute production comparative to league leaders at the time it is insane. In 5 on 5 P/60(using a minimum of 400 minutes) he was only behind Jagr. No other player has cracked the top 5 in their first post-draft season. Mackinnon was 56th, Eichel was 173, Nugent-Hopkins was 85th, Taylor Hall was 204th, Tavares was 263rd, Stamkos was 142nd, and P. Kane was 37th. That covers pretty much every first overall forward between Crosby and McDavid, and the gap is sizable. Considering this is a stat Crosby is almost always top 5 in, I'd say it is a good measure.

Back to Matthews, looking at the list of high picks and where they finished in this metric, finishing in the top-50 would be a great accomplishment, as only Skinner, Galchenyuk, McDavid and Kane have done it in recent years. Really can't wait to see what he does as his skill set is so well balanced.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Except you said he's not a tier above the prospects drafted after Crosby. No rookie has had even close to McDavid's production in the last 10 years. McDavid's per-minute production comparative to league leaders at the time it is insane. In 5 on 5 P/60(using a minimum of 400 minutes) he was only behind Jagr. No other player has cracked the top 5 in their first post-draft season. Mackinnon was 56th, Eichel was 173, Nugent-Hopkins was 85th, Taylor Hall was 204th, Tavares was 263rd, Stamkos was 142nd, and P. Kane was 37th. That covers pretty much every first overall forward between Crosby and McDavid, and the gap is sizable. Considering this is a stat Crosby is almost always top 5 in, I'd say it is a good measure.

Back to Matthews, looking at the list of high picks and where they finished in this metric, finishing in the top-50 would be a great accomplishment, as only Skinner, Galchenyuk, McDavid and Kane have done it in recent years. Really can't wait to see what he does as his skill set is so well balanced.

Awesome post!

All this Matthews and McDavid talk is WAY too early.
McDavid looks like he could be the most skilled player ever.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He will be better than Mats Sundin.

The only determining factor is whether he plays as long as Mats did.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He will be better than Mats Sundin.

The only determining factor is whether he plays as long as Mats did.

LOL. Why do Leaf fans always have to be so over the top and say such stupid things?

Let's see if he makes it to the NHL FIRST, okay? Then let's start proclaiming how great he will be?

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
LOL. Why do Leaf fans always have to be so over the top and say such stupid things?

Let's see if he makes it to the NHL FIRST, okay? Then let's start proclaiming how great he will be?

Let's see? Have you seen the leafs roster? He would have made it last year, nevermind this year.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Have you been living under a rock for the past 4 months? The kid is playing in the NHL..

Not sure if he'll be as good as mats though. Lets hope he's as good..

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
First post, this guy is freaking amazing, I think he is actually already better than Eichel is currently. He seriously has no flaws it's crazy how complete a player he is already. His movements remind me of Malkin but he plays a very good 2 way game.

Yeah he seems to be on another level than Eichel is right now.

Matthews' possession game is unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad