C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Not sure if I need a reality check - because I am used to seeing our prospects get pumped further than they actually are; but this kid looks like the real deal, already. His play is silky smooth and vet like. It's nice to see him keep up with McDavid. (Connor is a player I have always viewed as a full step above every single prospect, still is, but it's nice to see that Auston has a high end hockey mind, to go along with his top notch physical ability)

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Its a good thing the Leafs were one of the few teams desperate enough to go off the board for the #1 C.

Can't wait to get my Mehtthews jersey.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Not sure if I need a reality check - because I am used to seeing our prospects get pumped further than they actually are; but this kid looks like the real deal, already. His play is silky smooth and vet like. It's nice to see him keep up with McDavid. (Connor is a player I have always viewed as a full step above every single prospect, still is, but it's nice to see that Auston has a high end hockey mind, to go along with his top notch physical ability)

Its funny that you say that. Us leaf fans are used to projecting our prospects and hoping and praying they turn out as per expectations. Constantly being proven wrong and underachieving. Now we have a guy that hasnt played a game in the NHL and has already met expectations and is NHL game ready. Uncharted territory for us leaf fans thats for sure.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Matthews is so heavy on the puck. Did such a good job yesterday forcing turn overs and keeping the puck in late in the game.

The tool box on this kid is gigantic.

member 157595

Matthews is not McDavid but we have every right to be extremely excited about him.

LOL. Why do Leaf fans always have to be so over the top and say such stupid things?

Every fanbase says stupid things about players they are high on. Toronto simply has more English-speaking fans than any other hockey team in the world.

Let's see if he makes it to the NHL FIRST, okay? Then let's start proclaiming how great he will be?

:laugh:

Matthews made the Leafs roster on April 30th.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Will be great to see him and Marner on same line in pre season games . Other teams will have a hard time seeing the puck. They will become a dynamic duo imo.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Will be great to see him and Marner on same line in pre season games . Other teams will have a hard time seeing the puck. They will become a dynamic duo imo.

Matthews is slated to play on a line with Nylander this season so I'd expect that they get alot of time together in the preseason to potentially work out the kinks. Marner could still see time with him but I'd expect the two rookies to be flanked by a vet (Komarov, JVR, Greening, Michalek)

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Auston "Meh" Matthews.
Has a nice ring to it.:laugh:

beFWmL5w.jpg

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Matthews is slated to play on a line with Nylander this season so I'd expect that they get alot of time together in the preseason to potentially work out the kinks. Marner could still see time with him but I'd expect the two rookies to be flanked by a vet (Komarov, JVR, Greening, Mihalek)
I think they will end up as a duo the way Marner can handle the puck and play make and the way Matthews can get open and shoot . The m&m line :laugh:

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I think they will end up as a duo the way Marner can handle the puck and play make and the way Matthews can get open and shoot . The m&m line :laugh:

Entirely possible but Babs has already come out and said that Matthews and Nylander combo will be tried to open the season so that takes up the C and RW positions. Eventually you could end up being right when Nylander transitions back to C full time, and Marner has enough experience to hang defensively on the top unit. Stylistically I agree the pair could be potent (Matthews/Marner).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews has a mature game that is NHL ready. I think he could step into a top 6 role right now with most NHL teams at the start of the season. He's very unique as he is already 19, that the Leafs are almost getting a player that can be considered in their draft + 1 year. The NLA will have prepared him well for the NHL. It can almost be considered as a year in the AHL. I am comfortable in saying Auston could handle starting in the top 6 as a Center for the Leafs this year. To me there are no holes in his game that will prevent him from having a good rookie year.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Matthews has a mature game that is NHL ready. I think he could step into a top 6 role right now with most NHL teams at the start of the season. He's very unique as he is already 19, that the Leafs are almost getting a player that can be considered in their draft + 1 year. The NLA will have prepared him well for the NHL. It can almost be considered as a year in the AHL. I am comfortable in saying Auston could handle starting in the top 6 as a Center for the Leafs this year. To me there are no holes in his game that will prevent him from having a good rookie year.

Matthews likely could have played in the top 6 for most teams LAST year. Being 19 in your rookie NHL season is hardly unique tho, it happens quite often. His talent is the unique aspect. Forsberg meets Kopitar, he's going to be a terror.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews likely could have played in the top 6 for most teams LAST year. Being 19 in your rookie NHL season is hardly unique tho, it happens quite often. His talent is the unique aspect. Forsberg meets Kopitar, he's going to be a terror.

No it isn't. But being 19 before the season starts and ends is. I am just saying he is very well prepared to start the year. He doesn't need much filling out, he has a year of pro hockey under him and he has the talent. As I said, he is a NHL ready player that was just drafted.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Matthews is really impressive and I think most Canadians are sad that the era of trashing on the Leafs and the Oilers is coming to and end...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No it isn't. But being 19 before the season starts and ends is. I am just saying he is very well prepared to start the year. He doesn't need much filling out, he has a year of pro hockey under him and he has talent. As I said, he is a NHL ready player that was just drafted.
See Tavares, Bouwmeester, Seth Jones, Kessel, and Ovi (actually 20 due to the lockout). Yakupov and Ryan Murray would of been close (affected by the lockout). It is not that rare to 19 your entire draft +1 season. And I don't remember anyone referring to those guys as basically being in their draft +1 season.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
See Tavares, Bouwmeester, Seth Jones, Kessel, and Ovi (actually 20 due to the lockout). Yakupov and Ryan Murray would of been close (affected by the lockout). It is not that rare to 19 your entire draft +1 season. And I don't remember anyone referring to those guys as basically being in their draft +1 season.

Eichel basically as well, (turned 19 oct, 28)

Calling it now, it's gonna be his and others go to excuse when Matthews outscores you know who next year.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

:laugh::laugh:

Are people actually saying this about Matthews? Haven't seen anyone say it, pretty funny if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad