C Aliaksei (Alexei) Protas - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2019, 91st, WSH)

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
With the Caps missing Backstrom, Oshie, and now Dowd, Protas has been recalled and is set to make his NHL debut tonight against Tampa. He'd be the 4th Cap to make their NHL debut this season (Connor McMichael, Hendrix Lapierre, Brett Leason).
(McMichael actually made his debut, playing 1 game, last season.)

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
With the Caps missing Backstrom, Oshie, and now Dowd, Protas has been recalled and is set to make his NHL debut tonight against Tampa. He'd be the 4th Cap to make their NHL debut this season (Connor McMichael, Hendrix Lapierre, Brett Leason).
How did he look?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
How did he look?
Pretty good, though he didn’t play much. Had a terrific pass for Carlson for what should have been a slam dunk but Carlson took forever to shoot and it got blocked.

His skating stride is a bit odd but I guess that’s what happens when you’re 6’6”. He’s really smart and crafty. Excited to see him develop.

Reactions: Rufus T Firefly

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
He has not been converting great chances every game for a while, so only fitting his first goal is a total crap like this. :D

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Aside from his point production how did he look? Does he look like he belong in the NHL? Will he stick with the big team?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Aside from his point production how did he look? Does he look like he belong in the NHL? Will he stick with the big team?
He looks the part of an NHL player. He's smart and uses his frame really well, especially along the boards. He's comfortable with the puck on his stick and he also knows how to move into space to get open. He was on the top line with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov yesterday and looked better than I thought he would with them. His speed concerns seem to be a bit overrated.

I don't know that he sticks this year when the Caps get fully healthy due to cap issues and the fact that the Caps returned all 12 of their top 12 forwards from last year but he'll be a full-timer in DC in short order, if he does indeed go down. Looking like a steal of a 3rd round pick at the moment.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah I'm a little late on this but he looked good vs. the Kings, never would have thought he was a rookie. Reminded me a lot (in a good way) of Dwight King, a little lumbering but smart enough to be ahead of the play so it doesn't look bad, and average-to-good other tools to go with what seems to be pretty sharp IQ. With how big he is he just takes up a lot of space too, was an absolute nuisance in the neutral zone.

Just one game sure but good for a rookie, not only 'no glaring mistakes' but also a lot of good play advances and breakups.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
He looks like a guy had a sharp IQ to keep the game. Dude is even bigger than Tom Wilson and his skating is not so amful for his size, 6'6. By default without high start speed or some finess.

Caps could to continue his path of development in first line. They used with to did it with Wilson.

He played just 3 games with Ovi and Kuznetsov but seems they find out some chemistry, this russian speaking line...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3