C Aliaksei (Alexei) Protas - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2019, 91st, WSH)

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
But actually it's a good question. I believe it origins from slavic name Protas which has accent on "a" though, unlike Alexei's surname which has accent on "o". But I've just google translated it, in Lithuanian "protas" means "mind" or "brain" and in fact it really might sound like a Lithuanian surname and considering that it's a neighbor country... who knows.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
This got me really curious, because it kinda does feel Lithuanian, but quick google around suggest that it is more popular in Poland than anywhere else, but it fits well with the regional history so no point of splitting hair any further.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Protas is indeed a Lithuanian word meaning intellectual capacity but there is no one with that kind of surname in Lithuania and the word itself is a very specific noun, not something surnames are usually made of (that mostly being adjectives defining specific trait). Adjective made from "protas" would be "protingas" (intelligent) so even if we made a surname out of that it would be "Protys" or "Pročius" rather than "Protas".

Hopefully you enjoyed this lecture :sarcasm: We obviously can't know for sure what's its origin from ages ago but it having direct ties to modern Lithuania that we know as such nowadays is extremely unlikely.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Good to see a young player like him getting some PP time in the KHL.

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
I watched his series with SKA, and he played pretty well and was counted on by Minsk to produce. He looked kind of slow out there, but I think that just might be a big man's stride, as he seemed to get where he needed to go without any issues and quickly enough. He also has really good hands for a big man and didn't seem to have any issues stickhandling. He did get knocked down a couple times by smaller players, so I think he'll probably have to work on his lower body strength. He had 4 points in 5 games, but was kind of a passenger on both his assists last game. They all count though and I think it's a fair representation of his play. His offensive instincts are quite good too, both playmaking and goalscoring. You could really put him anywhere on a powerplay and he'd help out. I feel like if he could skate a little bit faster he'd be unstoppable with his frame, hands, and instincts. Maybe that will come with more muscle, but his stride just looks weird, so maybe it's something more technical... I think if he was more physical that would also make him worse to play against. But maybe it's good for the league if Washington doesn't get another giant, physical forward, as the one they have already seems to be enough for people :laugh::sarcasm:

Also, every time I see him he reminds me of that big German guy in Gladiator. So there's that.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wonder if he goes back to the WHL now that his KHL season is finished

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Is he allowed to play in the AHL?

He's 20, but I don't have the best understanding of the CHL/NHL age rules, even less so this season.

(Since he's already played 58 games, I'm not sure playing another half season would be a great idea, so I'm a bit curious what decisions are made about him.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad