C Alexander Khovanov - Metallurg Zhlobin, Belarus (2018, 86th, MIN released)

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Interesting take, doesn't sound like a prospect whose game will translate to the pro game.
I’m afraid it won’t. His skill is high-end, playmaking ability is elite. That being said, doesn’t have great pace, average skating, and doesn’t seem to be a team player(from what others are saying)

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
I’m afraid it won’t. His skill is high-end, playmaking ability is elite. That being said, doesn’t have great pace, average skating, and doesn’t seem to be a team player(from what others are saying)

Skill is something you can't teach. Improving his pace and being more disciplined on the ice can improve as the players become more mature.

Also, due to health issues, he missed some development time compared to his draft class. He's not a slam-dunk but having his skillset is a good start. I think the Wild has time for him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Skill is something you can't teach. Improving his pace and being more disciplined on the ice can improve as the players become more mature.

Also, due to health issues, he missed some development time compared to his draft class. He's not a slam-dunk but having his skillset is a good start. I think the Wild has time for him.

Yes we do.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I agree with others here that I can’t see much of an NHL future for him.
He’s VERY easily thrown off of his game and other than being a great playmaker on the pp, I don’t see any elite abilities in him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
he's a 3rd rounder...any NHL time MN gets from him is gravy.

Last edited:

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
He's a legit NHL prospect, don't let the naysayers convince you otherwise. Despite being somewhat undisciplined, he has elite playmaking skill, something Minnesota has virtually none of, resulting in Khovanov being awarded his ELC this year. Don't be surprised to see him in the NHL sooner rather than later. It's true that his skating is only average but it doesn't hold him back in the least and he has improved over the past two seasons. Khovanov's game is more important to Pelletier than the reverse, not to take anything away from Pelletier who is as determined a player as you will see.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The thing is Minnesota had a player with elite playmaking and average skating in Mikael Granlund, and he did okay. Alot will depend on Khovanov's discipline and work ethic . Issue is Minnesota has been very poor in prospect development recently. They are even scratching their young prospects for AHL vets with no NHL future. Shows they value winning over player development.

wein

Jul 2, 2013

He had 3 points in the game and was first star. The most surprising thing to me is that he was on the penalty kill.

Moncton was playing Sherbrooke (who are ranked as the number one team in the CHL currently) so it was good competition. Moncton is a really strong team too, I personally think in the top 3 in the Q with Cape Breton and Sherbrooke.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
Oh well, his skating is geting worse and worse with each new game, but he still leads his team in scoring. That Pelletier guy is so selfless, he looks like values Khovanov's scoring above his own.
Khovanov's skating looks like it has improved some this year. I think that combined with the fact he is skating much harder as well. He always plays with passion/emotion but it now seems to be channeled towards things that help the team win and not taking dumb penalties. I think some people labeled him a bad skater (including myself) when he was coming back from his illness 2 years ago and took much of the season and maybe some of the next to get back to peek playing shape.

Credit the new coach a lot, because he seems to have had a real positive effect on Khovanov's play. He looks like a leader and someone having a lot of fun out there.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Feels good to see him do this good after a slow start. Hopefully it keeps up and he becomes a great Wild because I put a lot of stock into him in 2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad