C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 5th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I just saw how low he's ranked in MacKenzie's rankings (I think it's MacKenzie). Someone's probably going to get a steal if he falls that far.
He's 11, but he's risen from 14 at the start of the year despite an injury costing him a couple months. I'd expect him to continue rising if he keeps a high level of play. It's not like the CHL centers are putting up astonishing production that they can't be passed, and there aren't any other centers outside of them or USNTDP guys at the top (and Zegras spends time on the wing). I'd have a hard time taking Turcotte over Hughes or Kakko, but he would get serious discussion for me at 3.

Button is the one with the absurd ranking of him. He's never been a fan dating back to last years under 17 challenge, not even including him in his top 19 for 19. He currently has him at 28, which is essentially a 2nd round grade (considering that players above Hughes will likely still be available at 31, meaning the earliest Button would likely draft him is the 2nd).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's 11, but he's risen from 14 at the start of the year despite an injury costing him a couple months. I'd expect him to continue rising if he keeps a high level of play. It's not like the CHL centers are putting up astonishing production that they can't be passed, and there aren't any other centers outside of them or USNTDP guys at the top (and Zegras spends time on the wing). I'd have a hard time taking Turcotte over Hughes or Kakko, but he would get serious discussion for me at 3.

Button is the one with the absurd ranking of him. He's never been a fan dating back to last years under 17 challenge, not even including him in his top 19 for 19. He currently has him at 28, which is essentially a 2nd round grade (considering that players above Hughes will likely still be available at 31, meaning the earliest Button would likely draft him is the 2nd).

Maybe it was Button's ranking that I remember seeing of his that looked really low.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
if he stays healthy he's a slam dunk top 5 pick, IMO. fantastic player.

His health is probably my biggest concern, considering his injury history. In the 3rd period of last night's game, Turcotte was down on the ice in obvious distress and then skated off severely favoring his right leg. I thought "oh, no, not again". Fortunately, he returned a few shifts later, and even contributed another assist.

Reactions: cgf

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He is a top 5 talent, top 3 for me personally, he just needs to take more care about himself. Plays with reckless abandon kind of like Foppa did.

Reactions: cgf

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
His health is probably my biggest concern, considering his injury history. In the 3rd period of last night's game, Turcotte was down on the ice in obvious distress and then skated off severely favoring his right leg. I thought "oh, no, not again". Fortunately, he returned a few shifts later, and even contributed another assist.
ever watch Tim Connolly back in the day?? all the skill in the world but could not stay healthy at all...hope Turcotte doesn't meet that same fate as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He also had two assists. Turcotte now is averaging 1.57 PPG this season. The only players to average more in a season for the NTDP are Matthews, Eichel, Kane, Hughes, Kessel and Keller. Two 1OA's, another who will be 1OA, a 2OA, a 5OA, and 7OA. Thats not even to mention that Turcotte adds the most of those players outside of scoring. Turcotte belongs in the elite tier of the NTDP forwards in the program's history.

Craig Button thinks he's the 31st best prospect in this weak draft. He has Boldy 7th, Zegras 9th and Caufield 13th. Button says that Turcotte doesn't have enough skill to be higher than 31. How does Button explain that Turcotte averages more PPG than all these higher skill players but also plays a much better game in other zones? Is he once again getting lucky this season? TSN should do their readers a favor and hire a real expert. Someone who watches a couple of games per season at big international tournaments doesn't know enough to give an "expert" opinion.

Here was a very nice assist he had yesterday.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Whats his health and injury history?

Could drop like Gabr Vilardi he has chronic issues

Wish-casting. I can't understand why anyone would do this. I still remember the medical crew on this website being sure that Adam Boqvist had more concussions than they could find evidence of him having. It was one of the more insane things I've seen said on this website, and thats saying something. They wanted him to rank him lower in the draft, so they claimed injuries for him that they couldn't find evidence for.

I personally hope all players have no injuries. I don't know why any fan would wish-cast a worse injury history onto players than they can find evidence for. It would probably be best that people like myself or @Whalers Fan who have watched Turcotte play didn't even mention the style of play because now those who don't watch these prospects and form opinions based on what they read will claim he has chronic injuries, like you are doing. He had an injury early this season that was minor, by all accounts. But why introduce common-sense when you can irresponsibly claim similarities to a player who has had multiple surgeries for injuries in recent seasons?

And because I know this needs to be spelled out for those that are daft, there is a difference between being prone to injuries that cause players to miss games and playing a hard-working style that will result in playing through pain. I see no reason why the latter would be any substantial negative towards drafting a player.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Wish-casting. I can't understand why anyone would do this. I still remember the medical crew on this website being sure that Adam Boqvist had more concussions than they could find evidence of him having. It was one of the more insane things I've seen said on this website, and thats saying something. They wanted him to rank him lower in the draft, so they claimed injuries for him that they couldn't find evidence for.

I personally hope all players have no injuries. I don't know why any fan would wish-cast a worse injury history onto players than they can find evidence for. It would probably be best that people like myself or @Whalers Fan who have watched Turcotte play didn't even mention the style of play because now those who don't watch these prospects and form opinions based on what they read will claim he has chronic injuries, like you are doing. He had an injury early this season that was minor, by all accounts. But why introduce common-sense when you can irresponsibly claim similarities to a player who has had multiple surgeries for injuries in recent seasons?

And because I know this needs to be spelled out for those that are daft, there is a difference between being prone to injuries that cause players to miss games and playing a hard-working style that will result in playing through pain. I see no reason why the latter would be any substantial negative towards drafting a player.

Dont think u understood what i wrote / i didnt type it our properly.

I was just merely suggesting that if his injuries are considered chronic then he can drop on draft night ala gabe vilardi.

Nobody is wishing injury on hin

Reactions: Franson

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dont think u understood what i wrote / i didnt type it our properly.

I was just merely suggesting that if his injuries are considered chronic then he can drop on draft night ala gabe vilardi.

Nobody is wishing injury on hin

I understood it. It was a dumb comment. If you had a chronic problem with robbing banks, you could be in jail ala Bonnie and Clyde.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Craig Button thinks he's the 31st best prospect in this weak draft. He has Boldy 7th, Zegras 9th and Caufield 13th. Button says that Turcotte doesn't have enough skill to be higher than 31.

If Turcotte is only the 31st ranked player, then this will go down as the greatest draft in history. :sarcasm: I cannot imagine him dropping outside the top 10. If he does, some team is going to get a steal.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Turcotte is only the 31st ranked player, then this will go down as the greatest draft in history. :sarcasm: I cannot imagine him dropping outside the top 10. If he does, some team is going to get a steal.
Button has him at 28. It is still ridiculous. But, he's also top 5 a couple places and is 11th on Bob's list despite missing a good portion of the year (and moved up from 14th in September).

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I like Turcotte for the Ducks at #9, i'd take him over Dach, we need a speedy top line center & Turcotte is that guy.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Button has him at 28. It is still ridiculous. But, he's also top 5 a couple places and is 11th on Bob's list despite missing a good portion of the year (and moved up from 14th in September).

Button is all over the place lol. I remember the time he said Cam Fowler would be Francois Beauchemin, their the complete opposite type of players if you remember Beauch on the Leafs back then.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Button is all over the place lol. I remember the time he said Cam Fowler would be Francois Beauchemin, their the complete opposite type of players if you remember Beauch on the Leafs back then.
Sometimes he's right with his insanity, other times he's terribly off. It somewhat interesting in that he goes against consensus and isn't as safe as some other sources. He does have his good like where he had Boeser and Connor and having Virtanen as a 2nd rounder (although, in a re-draft he's probably a late first), but he'll also have his bad like Matt Finn at 10.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sometimes he's right with his insanity, other times he's terribly off. It somewhat interesting in that he goes against consensus and isn't as safe as some other sources. He does have his good like where he had Boeser and Connor and having Virtanen as a 2nd rounder (although, in a re-draft he's probably a late first), but he'll also have his bad like Matt Finn at 10.
Yeah he swings big or misses big, high risk/high reward. Kinda like how Tampa drafts, they get elite guys outside the 1st round that they swung big(Kucherov & Point) on but then some of their late 1st rounders haven't been that great, it feels like a high reward/high risk type thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad