C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
That would be amazing. What a heist. He can play C or LW equally well, too. Yes, please.

I want him, Harley, or York. All should go 10-15. I bet one falls, only for us to take someone else.

Pretty much feel the same way. Whoever of Newhook/Harley/Caufield/York if one falls (which should happen) and then if they all somehow aren’t there Pelletier or Brink.

Not saying I exactly trust the FO to not go way off the board, but to their credit they did well with those 2 second round picks last year, and it was the first draft under a new head of scouting.

Reactions: Dominance

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
This year should be interesting because it seemed like the top ten was basically set in stone. However, so many players are making a late round push such as Caufield and Newhook. I never put a ton of stock into tournaments, but seeing these guys on the same ice and seeing Newhook and Caufield must make some scouts question their rankings.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
He's putting up a really good performance and his skill set is making me somewhat wish for Detroit to take him at #6. But looking back from a few drafts ago Jost may be a good comparison in terms of league and production, so in a way the kid does seem like a risky pick imo. As much as I would be temped, I'm sure there are other better options to go with. With that said, if your team is drafting anywhere from 10-15 and he's still on board, he's definitely worth the risk there. I don't think you can teach that kind of talent.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Not sure if it’s just me, but does he resemble a young Alex Tanguay to anyone else?

Watching him a couple times I swear he plays exactly like Tanguay. A smooth skating, elite playmaking winger who can play center from time to time.

If he hits his potential I could see a top line winger who is good for around a point per game, while playing a similiar style to Tanguay.

I have the kid in my top 10 and definetly rising.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Which bchl players taken in first 3 rounds WERE busts? Almost all become NHL players at some point. Top players in BCHL usually go pro and put up good numbers or dominate college hockey. The talent level is pretty darn good for Junior A.
Mario Lucia. 2nd rounder. Now playing in Norway.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not sure if it’s just me, but does he resemble a young Alex Tanguay to anyone else?

Watching him a couple times I swear he plays exactly like Tanguay. A smooth skating, elite playmaking winger who can play center from time to time.

If he hits his potential I could see a top line winger who is good for around a point per game, while playing a similiar style to Tanguay.

I have the kid in my top 10 and definetly rising.
He's a much better Center, this is the only time he's ever played wing

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I agree that that is the likely spot he ends up if he maximizes his potential. But I wouldn’t discount him as a centre based on his size. He has really good all-around awareness.
For some reason, I just can't see him as a center because of the way he plays and his faceoffs. I see Taylor Hall in him somehow, can't really put a finger on it.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
For some reason, I just can't see him as a center because of the way he plays and his faceoffs. I see Taylor Hall in him somehow, can't really put a finger on it.
What about his face offs? You must have caught a bad game or something, he’s pretty tricky and he’s got good lower body strength. Don’t know the stats but I’m pretty sure it’s more of a strength than a weakness, at least at the junior level, but everyone starts somewhere.

He’ll almost definitely play centre at BC and we’ll see where he goes from there.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I agree he's a top 15 pick.

Why are Krebs & Zegras seen as better universally? I assume quality of comp but with his u18 showing what the reason now?

Faster than Krebs, takes the puck to the middle of the ice more than Zegras, and a better scorer than both of them.

Krebs is more industrious, but is Zegras really any better than him?

Reactions: Lemonlimey

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Which bchl players taken in first 3 rounds WERE busts? Almost all become NHL players at some point. Top players in BCHL usually go pro and put up good numbers or dominate college hockey. The talent level is pretty darn good for Junior A.

Keith Seabrook, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Corbin McPherson, Adam Tambellini, and I would consider Beau Bennett a bust for being drafted 20th overall.

BCHL has a good track record, but heres a list of guys drafted in the top 3 rounds that never made it

Reactions: Berserk

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Keith Seabrook, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Corbin McPherson, Adam Tambellini, and I would consider Beau Bennett a bust for being drafted 20th overall.

BCHL has a good track record, but heres a list of guys drafted in the top 3 rounds that never made it
Is it weird that Keith Seabrook looks like a combination of Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook (not just the names)?

Reactions: CanuckCity

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If you go back and read some of the descriptions of Yak, his hockey IQ is praised. I don't recall it being an issue at all pre draft.
They always praise everyone's IQ. They praised Puljujärvi's as well, calling it elite. I personally would completely ignore the IQ assessments of these scouting agencies. Everyone who ranks well has high hockey IQ, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad