C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
So you're the guy!! Lol Funny thing is, 24 out of 25 real scouts picked Yakupov to go first, and Galchenyuk wasn't even the second. And also, what makes Seguin the better player than Hall exactly. Say want you want, but our head (real) scouts made the right decision.

BTW, for your information. Yakupov's PPG pace went up without Galchenyuk this year not down. What a hack!

Im no scout by any means, but i really think Galchenyuk will establish himself as the best player in this draft, and would have sooner if it was not for his season long injury. Also even before the draft i would have chosen Seguin 9/10 times and still haven't changed my mind.

Oct 15, 2008
I'm not sure if you've ever seen both Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk in person, but I've seen Nail consistently for the last 2 seasons, I would say i'm at 75 LIVE viewings of Nail, and have defended him in Grigorenko arguments, who I have also seen LIVE on multiple occasions.

With Alex's injury I'm at about 50 LIVE viewings of him. Live in person viewings are different from video, but in all honesty I have no idea if you have seen these guys in person, how many times, or anything like that.

I just think it's unfair to attack someone ("obviously dilusional") for believing that Alex Galchenyuk might be the #1 prospect in an Alex Galchenyuk thread. Doesn't mean he'll go #1, just that he'll project to be the best NHLer out of the bunch. It doesn't mean it's a knock on Yakupov, Griogrenko or anyone else you might prefer, but it's simply an opinion, and it bothers me when guys are attacked.

Hell, we were "dilusional" according to a few when we ranked Tyler Seguin over Taylor Hall, but 2 years later looks like it wasn't the case.
In October we were ripped hard for ranking Jared McCann over Joshua Ho-Sang and Robert Fabbri for the OHL Draft. But in April Jared was taken over both players. Trying to get an explanation makes a lot more sense than just ripping someone apart.

Based on what exactly?

Its hard for people to fathom how a player, who wasnt ranked first before his injury, can now be ranked first overall after basically missing the whole year. That is baffling. I suppose you had Galchenyuk ranked over Yakupov all along?

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Wouldn't Galchenyuk not be able to play for the US at the WJC (if he's ineligible for the U18's like Matteau)? He did not play two consecutive years in the US before joining Sarnia.

I would think that if he was (actually) ineligible for the IIHF U18 WHC that he would also be ineligible for the U20 WJC as well.

But, we have yet to hear an actual statement confirming that Galchenyuk was or was not eligible for this tournament so I guess the questions will continue.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
Based on what exactly?

Its hard for people to fathom how a player, who wasnt ranked first before his injury, can now be ranked first overall after basically missing the whole year. That is baffling. I suppose you had Galchenyuk ranked over Yakupov all along?

Before Galchenyuk's injury, it was extremely close. During the week before the injury, I had a long discussion with Mark about this and we laid out what we were hoping to see in terms of improvements out of these guys, and talked about how very close they all were going into the season. So it's not like he came out of nowhere then we all of a sudden saw him a handful of times and said "Well, lets throw him #1" With the decline in play by Nail and Mikhail, as well as the 3 injuries Nail suffered this year it opened the door for Alex, IF he came back strong to potentially take that spot away. Which as you can see he did.

We explain the decision in the article. Both Grigorenko and Yakupov declined as we neared the end of the season. Galchenyuk came out and showed a great deal of talent, showed improvement, including the improvement in his upper body strength was very noticeable. We have seen more than enough of Galchenyuk to be confident in this decision.

Just as players can move up with good play, they can drop down with bad play, thats the way the rankings work. Players above Alex dropped off enough that he was able to jump over them. The gap was very small to begin with honestly. As mentioned I live in Sarnia, so I was in attendance at all home games minus about 5 in Alex/Nail's rookie season, plus saw them in a decent number of road games that year as well. I probably missed about 10 home games this year for Sarnia because I was traveling a little more for the draft, but again I saw them in quite a few road games as well. We have more than enough viewings on all of these guys to make an educated decision on who will be the most successful player in the NHL. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with us, and I understand that.

It's possible we're going to be wrong. I don't believe so, or I wouldn't have supported this decision. But we'd rather be wrong and trusting what we've seen, than listening to the social perception of who should be #1, then be pissed off at ourselves if it ended up we were right in the first place, but didn't put the guy we really wanted at #1.

The worst thing you can do as a scout is not go with your gut instinct, becasue if it turns out you woulda been right, it really gets you. It's happened to me a few times when I first started, and it was an important lesson learned.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
What about the worry that his knee injury has somehow slowed him down?

I listened to the interview posted earlier in this thread and I think he's a very smart kid. I wouldn't be upset if the Jackets drafted him at #2. I actually am more worried about Grigorenko and Forsberg than I am of Galchenyuk. Right now I'd be ok if the Jackets drafted Galy or Murray based upon what I've heard and seen. Mostly I have character concerns about the players we're looking at and Galchenyuk seems like an earnest, hard working player.

Oct 15, 2008
Before Galchenyuk's injury, it was extremely close. During the week before the injury, I had a long discussion with Mark about this and we laid out what we were hoping to see in terms of improvements out of these guys, and talked about how very close they all were going into the season. So it's not like he came out of nowhere then we all of a sudden saw him a handful of times and said "Well, lets throw him #1" With the decline in play by Nail and Mikhail, as well as the 3 injuries Nail suffered this year it opened the door for Alex, IF he came back strong to potentially take that spot away. Which as you can see he did.

We explain the decision in the article. Both Grigorenko and Yakupov declined as we neared the end of the season. Galchenyuk came out and showed a great deal of talent, showed improvement, including the improvement in his upper body strength was very noticeable. We have seen more than enough of Galchenyuk to be confident in this decision.

Just as players can move up with good play, they can drop down with bad play, thats the way the rankings work. Players above Alex dropped off enough that he was able to jump over them. The gap was very small to begin with honestly. As mentioned I live in Sarnia, so I was in attendance at all home games minus about 5 in Alex/Nail's rookie season, plus saw them in a decent number of road games that year as well. I probably missed about 10 home games this year for Sarnia because I was traveling a little more for the draft, but again I saw them in quite a few road games as well. We have more than enough viewings on all of these guys to make an educated decision on who will be the most successful player in the NHL. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with us, and I understand that.

It's possible we're going to be wrong. I don't believe so, or I wouldn't have supported this decision. But we'd rather be wrong and trusting what we've seen, than listening to the social perception of who should be #1, then be pissed off at ourselves if it ended up we were right in the first place, but didn't put the guy we really wanted at #1.

The worst thing you can do as a scout is not go with your gut instinct, becasue if it turns out you woulda been right, it really gets you. It's happened to me a few times when I first started, and it was an important lesson learned.

Thanks for the response/explanation.

It is appreciated.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011

I listened to the interview posted earlier in this thread and I think he's a very smart kid. I wouldn't be upset if the Jackets drafted him at #2. I actually am more worried about Grigorenko and Forsberg than I am of Galchenyuk. Right now I'd be ok if the Jackets drafted Galy or Murray based upon what I've heard and seen. Mostly I have character concerns about the players we're looking at and Galchenyuk seems like an earnest, hard working player.

The biggest thing for him will be to improve his first few steps, but it really didn't slow him down. He waited long enough for his knee to handle everything it could before, and Saginaw tested his knee out a couple times, and it looked great.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I would think that if he was (actually) ineligible for the IIHF U18 WHC that he would also be ineligible for the U20 WJC as well.

But, we have yet to hear an actual statement confirming that Galchenyuk was or was not eligible for this tournament so I guess the questions will continue.

This is what I was thinking. It'll be interesting situation nonetheless, I actually like this 2 year rule. It's really not a lot to ask (if it is the reason Matteau and maybe Galchenyuk are ineligible).

I don't understand how people see him dropping to 5 for the Leafs to pick. He is definitely going top 3...

It wouldn't even surprise me if the Leafs passed on him at #5. It's really all about what a team's scouts think about the potential problems he may face with such an injury. The guys at Hockey Prospect may have him at #1 (not a shot at them, just an ex.), but it's hardly a consensus if you talk to other scouts/look around. McKenzie has Galchenyuk at #6 for example. I don't think you can say anyone outside of Yakupov is definitely going top 3.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
lol

Making a website brb

I would make a wager he is gone by the 5th pick. Forsberg will be good as well just need a few more years to develop. BTW that is the first link when searching google and is updated daily based on new information/data received from those players playing.

Oct 15, 2008

I think you would probably be happy either way. A one-two punch of Galchenyuk/Johansen would go a long way to making the Jackets respectable.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
18633424.jpg

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I don't have a problem with Gally at #1, as I think it may have been a realistic possibility had he played the entire season. But it's hard to justify since he did not play almost the entire season. It's not like he lit it up once he came back for the last few games of the season and the playoffs.

That said, I would not be surprised if he goes as high as #2. He was that good before the injury.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
This is what I was thinking. It'll be interesting situation nonetheless, I actually like this 2 year rule. It's really not a lot to ask (if it is the reason Matteau and maybe Galchenyuk are ineligible).

It wouldn't even surprise me if the Leafs passed on him at #5. It's really all about what a team's scouts think about the potential problems he may face with such an injury. The guys at Hockey Prospect may have him at #1 (not a shot at them, just an ex.), but it's hardly a consensus if you talk to other scouts/look around. McKenzie has Galchenyuk at #6 for example. I don't think you can say anyone outside of Yakupov is definitely going top 3.

Matteau has spent the majority of his life in the US. How silly is it that which team Galchenyuk was drafted to in the OHL draft determines which national team he is eligible for? It's a silly rule that is only being enforced suddenly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad