C Alex Forsberg - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2013 undrafted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
IMO he should play Jr A hockey in BC rather than Midget hockey but he will probably be back in midget...he is an amazing player he is going to be a special player in the WHL...amazing vision, 6th sense, controls the game, amazing hands with the puck this kid is going to be something to watch, he is a step down from Sidney Crosby at that age so don't expect that but this guy is a special talent for sure.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
IMO he should play Jr A hockey in BC rather than Midget hockey but he will probably be back in midget...he is an amazing player he is going to be a special player in the WHL...amazing vision, 6th sense, controls the game, amazing hands with the puck this kid is going to be something to watch, he is a step down from Sidney Crosby at that age so don't expect that but this guy is a special talent for sure.

Or maybe we should let the kid have somewhat of a normal life for a 15 year old and stay home, throw him to the wolves next season when he is 16.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Or maybe we should let the kid have somewhat of a normal life for a 15 year old and stay home, throw him to the wolves next season when he is 16.

ya considering John Tavares and Jason Spezza were given special exception to play in the OHL at 15 years old, and it did nothing to hurt their developement at all...of course Rico Fata was given the same exception but all that guy had was speed anyway. If a player is that good that there is no need of him dominating the league AGAIN, sometimes developement is best developed at being challenged...hockey is a business after a certain point in life and with that talent you do what is best for the player not the fun factor, if he plays midget again AFTER dominating already last year as a 14 year old he can develop bad habbits or he might not be challenged enough and by next year if he played Jr A he could have been further ahead in developement than he is....you know it is not like the kid is 10 and we are trying to play him with the 16 year olds...the kid is the first overall pick in the WHL draft and is now 15 years old, he needs to be challenged in a league that is going to take his talents to the next level.

GenerationalTalent

Aug 18, 2010
I think he would benefit from playing Junior B or Midget for one more year. Let him life a normalish life for more year of his life because the next 25 will be all about hockey.,

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
This will be very confusing in a few years as Sweden as well have a young Forsberg that might end up in the NHL, people will think he's a brother to the other two.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I think he would benefit from playing Junior B or Midget for one more year. Let him life a normalish life for more year of his life because the next 25 will be all about hockey.,

at this point in his career it is all about hockey now...at this point is where you start to focus on hockey and he is doing that...this kid is at hockey camps in summers and tournaments, agents talking to him now...it is hockey hockey hockey...at this point he has to do what is best for his career...sorry peewee and atom hockey is over with now.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
ya considering John Tavares and Jason Spezza were given special exception to play in the OHL at 15 years old, and it did nothing to hurt their developement at all...of course Rico Fata was given the same exception but all that guy had was speed anyway. If a player is that good that there is no need of him dominating the league AGAIN, sometimes developement is best developed at being challenged...hockey is a business after a certain point in life and with that talent you do what is best for the player not the fun factor, if he plays midget again AFTER dominating already last year as a 14 year old he can develop bad habbits or he might not be challenged enough and by next year if he played Jr A he could have been further ahead in developement than he is....you know it is not like the kid is 10 and we are trying to play him with the 16 year olds...the kid is the first overall pick in the WHL draft and is now 15 years old, he needs to be challenged in a league that is going to take his talents to the next level.

One simple black and white fact that you ingore.

At 15 years old it is better to worry about his development as a human rather than his development as a hockey player.

Let me ask you this, Spezza and Tavares played in the OHL at 15, how many miles from home were they? How many hours were they going to spend on the bus? Prince George is nearly 1000 miles from his home. Let the kid grow up a bit.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site

Seeings as I dont know my Ontario travel distances very well I took the time to look it up.

Spezza, hometown Toronto, played as a 15 year old in Brampton. Travel distance from home 34 km according to Travel Ontario website

Tavares, hometown Mississauga, played as a 15 year old in Oshawa. Travel distance 85 km

Did either player have to billet or did they stay at home during their 15 year old season?

Oh by the way, Waldheim Saskatchewan to Prince George BC 1258 km's.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Seeings as I dont know my Ontario travel distances very well I took the time to look it up.

Spezza, hometown Toronto, played as a 15 year old in Brampton. Travel distance from home 34 km according to Travel Ontario website

Tavares, hometown Mississauga, played as a 15 year old in Oshawa. Travel distance 85 km

Did either player have to billet or did they stay at home during their 15 year old season?

Oh by the way, Waldheim Saskatchewan to Prince George BC 1258 km's.

I wouldn't really say much of that equates to anything. Either way, he's the #1 overall pick and whether he likes it or not, he's going to have a mountain of pressure on his shoulders. As scoutman said, this is the WHL now and his time for living a "normal life" is over. Whether you like it or not, that's the nature of sports now. The spotlight is bigger at a younger age, and if you want to make it, you have to be able to adapt.

From what I know, he's already a mature kid. If we're hypothetically playing these cards, I'm sure playing on a team with your older brother certainly isn't going to detract from your playing experience. Either way, the WHL doesn't look like it will make an exception so it will be a moot point.

I will agree, however, that he certainly should be playing Jr. A. Tons of players have played Tier Two as a 15 year old, and it's clear he's outgrown Midget hockey and has nothing to gain by going back to it.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't really say much of that equates to anything. Either way, he's the #1 overall pick and whether he likes it or not, he's going to have a mountain of pressure on his shoulders. As scoutman said, this is the WHL now and his time for living a "normal life" is over. Whether you like it or not, that's the nature of sports now. The spotlight is bigger at a younger age, and if you want to make it, you have to be able to adapt.

From what I know, he's already a mature kid. If we're hypothetically playing these cards, I'm sure playing on a team with your older brother certainly isn't going to detract from your playing experience. Either way, the WHL doesn't look like it will make an exception so it will be a moot point.

I will agree, however, that he certainly should be playing Jr. A. Tons of players have played Tier Two as a 15 year old, and it's clear he's outgrown Midget hockey and has nothing to gain by going back to it.

It appears the WHL does indeed agree with my point of view, it is better for the kid to develop closer to home.

The attitude you take towards underage players is frankly appalling. 16 years old is by far early enough to take them out of their home surroundings and take them to the hockey meat market, promoting they take them out at 15 should embarrass you.

Take some time and read up on Terry Ryan and all the problems he faced moving to Quesnel BC as a 15 year old to try and futher his career.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
It appears the WHL does indeed agree with my point of view, it is better for the kid to develop closer to home.

The attitude you take towards underage players is frankly appalling. 16 years old is by far early enough to take them out of their home surroundings and take them to the hockey meat market, promoting they take them out at 15 should embarrass you.

Take some time and read up on Terry Ryan and all the problems he faced moving to Quesnel BC as a 15 year old to try and futher his career.

I don't really understand how it becomes appalling from 15 to 16, but okay. So I guess Nick Ebert, Brady Vail and Seth Ambroz are all flops, right?

Oh wait.

Kids now are under the spotlight from an earlier age, and are more equipped to handle it. Obviously not everyone can, that's human nature. Hence why league's like the OHL have an actual process in place to determine if a kid is ready to make the jump at 15, which is what Tavares went through. Mod: deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I don't really understand how it becomes appalling from 15 to 16, but okay. So I guess Nick Ebert, Brady Vail and Seth Ambroz are all flops, right?

Oh wait.

Kids now are under the spotlight from an earlier age, and are more equipped to handle it. Obviously not everyone can, that's human nature. Hence why league's like the OHL have an actual process in place to determine if a kid is ready to make the jump at 15, which is what Tavares went through.

You have to reexamine your line of thinking, you have a one track mind. Its not about being a flop or being a star, its about drawing a line in the sand. At some point you have to look at the well being of the kid and use that to over ride the needs of the "hockey scouts"

The WHL has a well defined line in the sand. 15 year olds DO NOT PLAY in the WHL fulltime, they can have a 5 game cup of coffee, thats it. They actually think just a little bit about whats best for the kid.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
You have to reexamine your line of thinking, you have a one track mind. Its not about being a flop or being a star, its about drawing a line in the sand. At some point you have to look at the well being of the kid and use that to over ride the needs of the "hockey scouts"

The WHL has a well defined line in the sand. 15 year olds DO NOT PLAY in the WHL fulltime, they can have a 5 game cup of coffee, thats it. They actually think just a little bit about whats best for the kid.

So to play Devil's Advocate.. the OHL and QMJHL don't even draft 16 year olds. I think you have an extremely skewed perception of what these kids are like. They're not as immature and ill prepared for Jr Hockey as you think.

By no means am I saying the WHL should have 15 year olds play full-time. I'm saying if you're a guy like Alex Forsberg where you have the credentials to play in the WHL and the league feels you can handle it, then why not?

It's really not this moral dilemma you're making it out to be. I was one of these kids not so long ago, and the brush you're painting Midget Hockey players with couldn't be further from the truth.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
So to play Devil's Advocate.. the OHL and QMJHL don't even draft 16 year olds. I think you have an extremely skewed perception of what these kids are like. They're not as immature and ill prepared for Jr Hockey as you think.

By no means am I saying the WHL should have 15 year olds play full-time. I'm saying if you're a guy like Alex Forsberg where you have the credentials to play in the WHL and the league feels you can handle it, then why not?

It's really not this moral dilemma you're making it out to be. I was one of these kids not so long ago, and the brush you're painting Midget Hockey players with couldn't be further from the truth.

The brush I am painting? Really? Maybe you should spend less time thinking about the meat market and more time thinking about the player, his family and his personal growth.

Just one question, where has the WHL said they feel he can handle it?

Next question, do you have a clue about the geographical differences between the WHL and OHL? The players you used for examples earlier didnt need to billet out, a player like Forsberg has to travel over 1200 km's to his new team. He would be expected to spend countless hours riding busses on one of the most traveled teams in the entire country.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Hes not ready for the WHL. Too small. Tavares and Spezza were both tall physically mature players at 15. Forsberg is 5'9 and 150 pounds. He wasn't the leading scorer in Midget and he didn't break any records either. Beardys was knocked out in the 2nd round so its not like he walked away with a title either. Plenty of work for this kid to do.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
There is a flaw in your logic. The soccer teams don't throw these kids to the wolves they develop them. Putting Alex Forsberg at 15 in the WHL is not doing him any good. He is far to small yet. He is not yet a man. He needs that year to build that physique so he can take the rigors of playing with 18,19 and 20 year olds.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
Hes not ready for the WHL. Too small. Tavares and Spezza were both tall physically mature players at 15. Forsberg is 5'9 and 150 pounds. He wasn't the leading scorer in Midget and he didn't break any records either. Beardys was knocked out in the 2nd round so its not like he walked away with a title either. Plenty of work for this kid to do.

Definitely a valid point. I'm not arguing whether or not he's good enough to make the jump, more so the fact that if a 15 year old kid does come around and shows the tools to do so, it wouldn't be a gross injustice to society to bring him up as a 15 year old.

We'll see how he does in Midget this year. Obviously since the WHL drafts out of Bantam, situations like this will always arise because once a player has WHL rights, their playing situation will always be a focus of attention.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
There is a flaw in your logic. The soccer teams don't throw these kids to the wolves they develop them. Putting Alex Forsberg at 15 in the WHL is not doing him any good. He is far to small yet. He is not yet a man. He needs that year to build that physique so he can take the rigors of playing with 18,19 and 20 year olds.

Freddy Adu playing in the MLS at age 14? The MLS has had plenty of 17 year olds play in the league over the years, even 16 year olds. And this is a league against players as old as their mid 30s.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Freddy Adu playing in the MLS at age 14? The MLS has had plenty of 17 year olds play in the league over the years, even 16 year olds. And this is a league against players as old as their mid 30s.

Were was Freddy Adu last world cup? Oh ya not on the team. Again were talking about being ready and there is a world of difference between 15 year olds and 17 year olds.

Please I have been watching kids come and go from the WHL for years and I can tell you this one is not ready. Next year he will tear the league up as a 16 year old.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
Were was Freddy Adu last world cup? Oh ya not on the team. Again were talking about being ready and there is a world of difference between 15 year olds and 17 year olds.

Please I have been watching kids come and go from the WHL for years and I can tell you this one is not ready. Next year he will tear the league up as a 16 year old.

As I said before, I'm not disputing that notion. I'm saying that if a player is ready, it won't kill them. Spezza and Tavares turned out fine. Ebert is en route to being a top pick in 2012 while Ambroz looks like a Top 10 guy this year.

I haven't seen Forsberg enough. I would say, as you said, his lack of size and strength is a concern. I'm just saying that it's not outrageous to have a player come around every once in a while that can make it. As you said, Forsberg probably isn't able to make the jump effectively, but my point is more geared towards the fact that I'm sure he would be mentally ready for it, which is what Luongold seems to be so up in arms about.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
If what I am saying is extremely naive please explain to me why it is a hard line rule in the WHL?

It seem to me your the exception here, you feel he should play yet the ENTIRE league does not want 15 years old's playing regularly. Why is it I am the naive one, yet I am the one with the actual league and process in my favor?

Time for you to look in that mirror?

Uh, I never said he should be playing in the league. I'm saying that if he was deemed to have the skill to play as a 15 year old, he'd be mentally able to handle that responsibility.

You seem to think that players who are 15 can't make the jump. However, there are plenty of cases of players who have done this in recent years and have not had any issues doing so.

As i said with Joe, Forsberg likely doesn't have the size and strength yet, which is fine. But I'm sure he would be mentally able to play in the league, which is where your issue seems to be.

And before you bring up your travel issue, New Jersey to Waterloo is a pretty big hike.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
you know what case closed here...Sidney Crosby played Shattuck at 15 years old, pretty far from Cole Harbour trust me i know i like in halifax right by cole harbour...Patrice Cormier played Jr A at 15 years old for a team that was only 1 hour away but he still played Jr A at 15...players who go to notre dame saskatchewan to play are not close to home and all their life is is hockey hockey hockey same as at any prep school...15 year olds who play USHL...15 year olds who get special exception to play CHL have to play for the team closest to their home town that is the rule until the next year when they are up for the draft...halifax mooseheads tried to get sidney crosby as a 15 year old but gthe league rejected it...carey price played jr a as a 15 year old...there have been ALOT of guys who played away from home at 15 who have turned out well in hockey...and your right you have to draw a line in the sand and that line is to say ....ok is hockey going to be my life or not...and a guy like forsberg his life is all hockey hockey hockey trust me i know...i scout these guys for the Q and get to know the players...at 15 their life is ALL hockey the parents have adivsiors...sorry to most people but hockey became a BIG business and training and agents are making the ages younger and younger...so no BS about the kid has to play in levels he is too good for because he needs fun...guess what he has fun being competitve at the sport and that is why he is where he is...and if you think not...well you will have to live with not knowing the business i guess...i agree if a player is not ready for that step don't rush him...but scoring over 70 points in 40 games as a 14 year old what more does he have to do...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Uh, I never said he should be playing in the league. I'm saying that if he was deemed to have the skill to play as a 15 year old, he'd be mentally able to handle that responsibility.

You seem to think that players who are 15 can't make the jump. However, there are plenty of cases of players who have done this in recent years and have not had any issues doing so.

As i said with Joe, Forsberg likely doesn't have the size and strength yet, which is fine. But I'm sure he would be mentally able to play in the league, which is where your issue seems to be.

And before you bring up your travel issue, New Jersey to Waterloo is a pretty big hike.

The USHL is not the WHL dont compare the leagues

The WHL does not want to open the gates for 15 year olds in the league and many teams even want to limit the number of 16 year olds.

Anyways its a moot point. The kid is not playing until his season with Beardys is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad