C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
What's going on with Heponiemi?

33gp 0g 8a 8p -5 in the AHL

Is he struggling that much with his transition to the North American game? What's his usage like?

I was expecting him to have a very strong rookie season in the AHL, I wonder if he's getting pushed around?

From limited viewings, he is. He’s been totally outmuscled and he honestly hasn’t looked all that fast either.

I wondered if he’s still around 150 pounds but after watching him play, I’d have to say he is. He needs to put on a lot of muscle just to play against men in North America. Good skills, hands, ect but he’s so far behind physically and just gets bullied.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Absolute refusal to properly bulk up is showing. I'm not losing hope until he builds his body a bit and still can't make it.
There are rumour that he is quite full of himself. Thinks his skills are so op he will manage.

But Yeah.
This off season will show what he is. After this he starts to work, or he can carve nice career in Europe if he likes to take it easy.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What's going on with Heponiemi?

33gp 0g 8a 8p -5 in the AHL

Is he struggling that much with his transition to the North American game? What's his usage like?

I was expecting him to have a very strong rookie season in the AHL, I wonder if he's getting pushed around?

As someone who watches a lot of WHL, the kid was never that good. I always said he was overrated. Third best prospect on that swift current team after Gawdin and Steenbergen

I remember getting absolutely lambasted for saying this guy reminded me of Jiri Hudler and saying HF was clueless for putting this guy top 20 while excluding Adam Fox, Dillon Dube and Rasmus Andersson for the top 50.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yeah it was so unfortunate he only helped us get a gold medal. **** that guy.
I remember what @kelsier told about him, maybe he was right about many things. Still not agree with rooting against the kid, but I mean maybe he has to look at the mirror and be more of a team player.

Yeah, but if we had lost the quarterfinal, he would have got a lot more crap because 0f how he played in the cost of the team.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I remember what @kelsier told about him, maybe he was right about many things. Still not agree with rooting against the kid, but I mean maybe he has to look at the mirror and be more of a team player.

Yeah, but if we had lost the quarterfinal, he would have got a lot more crap because 0f how he played in the cost of the team.
I don’t think team play is the problem for him. He’s built like a teen right now and he either beefs up and improves his skating or he will never get anywhere. Panthers can be super patient with him. I think the coach would’ve benched him if he didn’t like the way he played. I’m 100% sure Heponiemi didn’t sacrifice the team for himself.

UnimatrixZero

Dec 7, 2019
Good on him, sometimes the goals start coming in bunches once you get that Gorilla of your back, hope he picks it up!

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I anticipated this. There's no way you go from 150 lbs. to 170 in one summer of training. But it looks like he didn't even step foot in the gym this summer. He just needs to get a lot bigger.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Why did Panthers want him to go to AHL? Seems like staying with Kärpät for one more year would've been much a better option. Playoffs last year clearly showed he isn't even close to ready physically for pro game.

Magnificent66

Sep 9, 2013
Why did Panthers want him to go to AHL? Seems like staying with Kärpät for one more year would've been much a better option. Playoffs last year clearly showed he isn't even close to ready physically for pro game.

No kidding. He'd have won the MVP in Finland this season. Lots of work to do this summer, put him on the program.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
So the AHL coach has him in the doghouse for no reason.. hmm
Well it's FLA Panthers AHL affiliate. Same as the big club, they've had no success in years and their results in developing players are mediocre. I have very little trust in those coaches.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
2 game goal streak, 5 points in his last 4 games....good? :dunno: <meh>.
Seems like he's starting to figure it out. Not uncommon for high IQ players to take some time to adjust. Didn't he do the same thing in the FEL last year, where he just torched the league in the second half?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad