C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I just came across this guy's stats,

over 2.0 PPG in his D+1 in the WHL, and almost a PPG in the SM-Liiga at age 19

very light, listed at 5'10 148 lbs.... Im just curious if thats his only knock, as his point totals are out of this world.

Reactions: Dominance

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He's a slim guy for sure, a bit child-like in terms of physical aspects and struggled badly in the playoffs when the going got tougher. But his head seems fairly mature in comparison so if he can eventually gain more mass there shouldn't be any real concerns.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
From watching Heponiemi all last season in my team, I'd easily say he's starting in the AHL. He was easily outworked in the playoffs and feasted vs worse teams all season. He didn't really shine in the playoffs but had his moments especially against HIFK.

He's a superstar based on his hands and game reading, but on a way too fragile frame for the moment, or that's how I would describe him without seeing if he has improved or not in off ice training. Either way I want him the best career possible and would love for him to become a regular on the FLA roster as soon as possible.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
For the upcoming season, in NHL, I think under 10 points. In the AHL, 70+ points.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I just came across this guy's stats,

over 2.0 PPG in his D+1 in the WHL, and almost a PPG in the SM-Liiga at age 19

very light, listed at 5'10 148 lbs.... Im just curious if thats his only knock, as his point totals are out of this world.
Per Liiga website he's at 70 kg (about 154 lbs). Still not much but an improvement. Also not sure how up-to-date their website is...

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I don't know that I agree with this. We just saw them both in the World Juniors and by my eye, Hepo was not only Finland's MVP for the tournament but also it's most skilled player and consistently dangerous. I'm not trying to take anything away from Kakko who is obviously two years younger but I don't think he's more skilled. Will he be a better NHL player, I would guess he would by virtue of his NHL ready body and natural strength but by skill alone, I still take Hepo.

Lol no way a sane person would actually think this.

Reactions: Nate070

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Not sure if the survey was for Liiga or NHL production, but it's a bit funny there was no option that included 46 pts and that's what he ended up with :laugh:

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The only correct way to play him in my opinion would be at the spot where he could use his magnificent strengths (VERY high hockey IQ and great hands and passing skills ) optimally and his weaknesses (mostly lack of size and strength) could be covered by other players. I think Heponiemi could work really well playing on the same line with Barkov and Huberdeau, and that line would have some exceptional hockey IQ altogether.

I don’t think Hepo will develop well from playing with some 3rd line grinders or playing in the AHL that much either. At worst his great skill elements and self confidence can get gradually diminished by playing with players not having even close to the same level hockey IQ. Makes players often dumb their game down at least a bit, when they have to play too long with clearly lower hockey IQ players.

Last edited:

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I’m not sure where there is room for him in the lineup. Florida is deep at forward. It looks like Tippett and Hepo will be in competition for a roster spot. That will be interesting to watch. I think Hepo will get a spot and is a dark horse for rookie of the year.

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Hoffman-Trocheck-Heponiemi?
Connolly-Borgstrom-Vatrano
Sceviour-Malgin-Accari
Tippett-Hawryluk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad