C Aatu Räty - Jukurit, Liiga (2021, 52nd, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Finnish is always pronounced the same way. There are no exceptions outside of "ng". So it's pronounced as Aatu Räty. You can't make those English-izations for Aatu, and y doesn't exist in English in any form. It's pronounced as ü. The relationship of ü to u is the same as that of ö to o and ä to a(tongue front vs tongue back). ä is in "rat" and a in "hard", for example.

And btw, Finnish names are never pronounced correctly with that sort of an English-style spelling so you might as well wing it. They're going to have official pronunciations for all the boardcasters, though, so that they can all pronounce it equally as incorrectly. But I guess that wasn't the point.
Sorry I'm a little slow today so you're saying it's just pronounced

Ahh-tu Rat-ee

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Sorry I'm a little slow today so you're saying it's just pronounced

Ahh-tu Rat-ee
Nah, I'm saying that no matter what sort of a thingy you make in that manner, you'll never get the right pronunciation, not least because the y sound doesn't exist in the English language in any form. So whatever you choose will be wrong - hence, doesn't matter. You can't construct the correct pronunciation like that.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Nah, I'm saying that no matter what sort of a thingy you make in that manner, you'll never get the right pronunciation, not least because the y sound doesn't exist in the English language in any form. So whatever you choose will be wrong - hence, doesn't matter. You can't construct the correct pronunciation like that.
So what's the closest you can make that sound so English folks understand

Rat-uh ? If I'm understanding how they're saying it, it sounds like a rolling your tongue saying uhh

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Rat-uh ? If I'm understanding how they're saying it, it sounds like a rolling your tongue saying uhh
I mean, you're supposed to understand when I say tongue front when u is tongue back, in the same way a in "rat" it's tongue front and in "hard" it's tongue back.

If you don't understand, shrug. I've studied German, Swedish, English, Russian, Japanese, Korean so it's strange to me if people can't comprehend that different languages have different sounds. Like the hard H in Korean, you just do it, you don't transcribe it to your language first, there's no equivalent. Same with y in Finnish.

Reactions: Huck Cheever

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009

To my(not Finnish-speaking ears), when pronounced by native Finnish speakers, the last name sounds like Rateu. In this case, the "eu" at the end sounds a lot like the sound eu makes in French(this may or may not be helpful). If possible, think of the French word for perhaps, which is peut-être. The sound in peut just doesn't exist in English. It's not "oo", like in loot. It's also not "ew", as in "Ew, that's disgusting". It's something related but different. Also, in both cases, the "eu" sound ends very abruptly. If you listen to recordings of both, the speaker stops saying the sound almost as soon as it leaves his mouth.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
To my(not Finnish-speaking ears), when pronounced by native Finnish speakers, the last name sounds like Rateu. In this case, the "eu" at the end sounds a lot like the sound eu makes in French(this may or may not be helpful). If possible, think of the French word for perhaps, which is peut-être. The sound in peut just doesn't exist in English. It's not "oo", like in loot. It's also not "ew", as in "Ew, that's disgusting". It's something related but different. Also, in both cases, the "eu" sound ends very abruptly. If you listen to recordings of both, the speaker stops saying the sound almost as soon as it leaves his mouth.
Eu in French is equivalent to ö in Finnish. In terms of French, the u in tu is almost the same as y in Finnish.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Is it really so complicated? ;S Like when you say "who" you make the long "u" sound, for which you have the tongue at the back of the mouth. If you bring the tongue forward, so that it's comfortably touching the lower front teeth and try to say "who" while keeping it like that, you get the long "y" sound. Shrug, I don't get how it could be put any simpler.

And his last name is just "rat" pronounced as "rat" followed by the short "y" sound.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
English has a lot of ''hidden'' phonemes. For example, native english speakers are able, whether they are aware or not, to say the Hochdeutsche ''ch'' syllable as in ''ich.'' It happens naturally when we say the word ''cute,'' between the c and u syllables. A close approximation of the Finnish ''y'' would be the u sound in the word ''few'' or ''new'' or ''pew.'' I am not saying that you pronounce Räty's name as Ratew. I'm saying you remove the ''e'' part of the compound vowel in those words, and say that sound. The ä is as in ''apple.''

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In the Czech game briefly it felt like watching young Eichel - the composure and how'd he be able to slow down and control the game. Almost like he was intimidating the opponent. Not really a comparison, but it felt more like a dejavu. Though mostly he's always moving, able to find and create open space while being really difficult to knock away from the puck. Räty has been the best player in the team in all games (though I missed the first period vs Canada) and he looks like a can't miss first line center.

I do think he'll have a heck of a season even though he's not even draft eligible yet. Would be surprised if he didn't start in the FEL straight away. Lambert gets the buzz because he's younger (and cause he's awesome) but Räty deserves the praise as well.

Agree with this as when he has the puck he just seems to flow and create opportunities out of thin air.

Excellent body control and flow of the game when the puck is on his stick.

Extremely high hockey IQ soft hands and a real understanding of the game from the blue line in.

Had a real shot at being #1( or an Eichel level calibre player consolation prize if someone outshines him).

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Yeah. Watching him, he's extremely, extremely good. Very high hockey IQ. The way he sees the ice and passes the puck is very impressive. The kid has eyes in the back of his head.

Reactions: LAINEC

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
English has a lot of ''hidden'' phonemes. For example, native english speakers are able, whether they are aware or not, to say the Hochdeutsche ''ch'' syllable as in ''ich.'' It happens naturally when we say the word ''cute,'' between the c and u syllables. A close approximation of the Finnish ''y'' would be the u sound in the word ''few'' or ''new'' or ''pew.'' I am not saying that you pronounce Räty's name as Ratew. I'm saying you remove the ''e'' part of the compound vowel in those words, and say that sound. The ä is as in ''apple.''
"Ratwww" ?

Is Ratu almost correct?

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hm, when I hype Finns up I'm a homer, when I try to be negative I'm wrong. Oh well.

It looks like Räty's going to have a real good season. Probably better than Lundell's.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
It looks like Räty's going to have a real good season. Probably better than Lundell's.
Don't get too excited. It's only Räty's draft -2 season.

Lundell already scored 19 points on his draft -2 season and that's more than any Finnish prospect has scored before. Yeah, I know Barkov was almost a year younger on his d-2 season. But still, Lundell holds the record.

I'm waiting for a good season for Räty but don't see any reason why Lundell wouldn't score 30 - 40 points.

Reactions: Ippenator

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Don't get too excited. It's only Räty's draft -2 season.

Lundell already scored 19 points on his draft -2 season and that's more than any Finnish prospect has scored before. Yeah, I know Barkov was almost a year younger on his d-2 season. But still, Lundell holds the record.
Yeah, I think he'll score more than 19 points.

Not sure what Lundell's current season has to do with anything, they're in different drafts and a year apart.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Is Raty running away from the rest of the pack so much now that he is the consensus number 1 for 2021 now ?
Beniers, Stankoven, Guenther, and Hughes will have their stage to show everyone they're legit this year. I wouldn't call it consensus #1 but at this point he is leading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad