C Aatu Räty - Jukurit, Liiga (2021, 52nd, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
How is this thread not bumbed yet? Anyway, dominating showing at Hlinka tourney so far with.

Really surprised if he doesn't spend most of the year in Liiga. Kärpät really doesn't have too much skill on the lineup aside from the old guys in Jokinen, Pesonen and Pyörälä.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
Will he be playing with the best junior mentor Kärpät has had recently (Mika Pyörälä), I wonder? :DD

Last edited:

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Not many have a 16, to be 17-year old starting on a FEL roster. Currently, our #1 center is Kristof or Lammikko (shudder). There's no real advantages to playing a young guy with real offensive potential in the 4th line for a year, and there isn't an instant spot for him outside injuries.

He'll get his break and spot to shine but don't expect anything big for the coming season. It's way more likely that in his actual draft season he'll get the chances he deserves.
And about the talent, Puljujärvi was recently 'confirmed' to come to Kärpät if he doesn't get a NHL contract.
He would be a perfect addition to a decent, not great, top 6.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
In the Czech game briefly it felt like watching young Eichel - the composure and how'd he be able to slow down and control the game. Almost like he was intimidating the opponent. Not really a comparison, but it felt more like a dejavu. Though mostly he's always moving, able to find and create open space while being really difficult to knock away from the puck. Räty has been the best player in the team in all games (though I missed the first period vs Canada) and he looks like a can't miss first line center.

I do think he'll have a heck of a season even though he's not even draft eligible yet. Would be surprised if he didn't start in the FEL straight away. Lambert gets the buzz because he's younger (and cause he's awesome) but Räty deserves the praise as well.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
In the Czech game briefly it felt like watching young Eichel - the composure and how'd he be able to slow down and control the game. Almost like he was intimidating the opponent. Not really a comparison, but it felt more like a dejavu. Though mostly he's always moving, able to find and create open space while being really difficult to knock away from the puck. Räty has been the best player in the team in all games (though I missed the first period vs Canada) and he looks like a can't miss first line center.

I do think he'll have a heck of a season even though he's not even draft eligible yet. Would be surprised if he didn't start in the FEL straight away. Lambert gets the buzz because he's younger (and cause he's awesome) but Räty deserves the praise as well.
He should make the U20 team. Finland made a mistake not taking Kotkaniemi two years ago.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He should make the U20 team. Finland made a mistake not taking Kotkaniemi two years ago.

Oh absolutely. Lundell made it last year and he wasn't as good as Räty is now, pretty sure of it. Of course it's maybe a bit too early to tell for Räty hasn't faced grown up men yet, but I'm going with my gut feeling.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Not many have a 16, to be 17-year old starting on a FEL roster. Currently, our #1 center is Kristof or Lammikko (shudder). There's no real advantages to playing a young guy with real offensive potential in the 4th line for a year, and there isn't an instant spot for him outside injuries.

He'll get his break and spot to shine but don't expect anything big for the coming season. It's way more likely that in his actual draft season he'll get the chances he deserves.
And about the talent, Puljujärvi was recently 'confirmed' to come to Kärpät if he doesn't get a NHL contract.
He would be a perfect addition to a decent, not great, top 6.

Other than Kristof and Lammikko, there is only Humaloja, Koskenkorva and Metsävainio at center. Räty should make the team quite easily, since he is everything the roster is currently lacking with his speed, skill and ability to run the powerplay. With the CHL games, Kärpät is not going to play with only 5 centers the whole year.

Manner runs all four lines very evenly on 5vs5 so even if he ends up playing in the 4th line and on the 2nd PP unit, he will still get plenty of icetime(Kupari spent most of his draft year playing bottom 6 minutes with Karvinen for example).

Well we'll see what Manner is planning in a few weeks, Kärpät plays their first practice game tomorrow but is missing a tons of players.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Who the hell is Aatu Räty?! Suddenly you are hallucinating once again about the 1st OA. It is not meant to be for the Finnish prospects; in the recent memory Barkov, Laine and Kakko have all tried their best one after another and all failed. And last time I checked it was some Fenno-Canadian who was deemed to go first overall, and he just might since he is not an ethnic Fin but actually a Can lol, so the curse won't apply. But this Aatu Räty I have never ever even heard of, not much but hearsay to say the least, let alone seen him playing the game - you maintain he should be the spell breaker. Sounds insane but fair enough. We can always dream and hope.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Who the hell is Aatu Räty?! Suddenly you are hallucinating once again about the 1st OA. It is not meant to be for the Finnish prospects; in the recent memory Barkov, Laine and Kakko have all tried their best one after another and all failed. And last time I checked it was some Fenno-Canadian who was deemed to go first overall, and he just might since he is not an ethnic Finn but actually a Can. so the curse won't apply. But this Aatu Räty I have never ever even heard of, not much but hearsay to say the least, let alone seen him playing the game - you maintain he should be the spell breaker. Sounds insane but fair enough. We can always dream and hope.

Such a weird post. Kinda unneccecary:)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, for a few years already, Räty's puzzled me a little. Of all these Finnish top prospects, I wouldn't be very surprised if Räty ends up being a bit of a faller. I'm somewhat expecting more.... He needs to have a good season.

Of course, hoping for great success for him.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Well, for a few years already, Räty's puzzled me a little. Of all these Finnish top prospects, I wouldn't be very surprised if Räty ends up being a bit of a faller. I'm somewhat expecting more.... He needs to have a good season.

Of course, hoping for great success for him.

He's not going to fall, at least not far if we're talking about the draft order. Right now they aren't really any bigger names for 2021. That doesn't mean things cannot change. I wasn't as sold about him last season as some others probably were, but he's been a man amongst the boys in the Hlinka tournament. Looks very much ready to play FEL off the gates. It's not really always about just production either, just look at how few of them Kakko scored in the WJC for instance (due to low TOI thanks to Hepo double-shifting himself while the bench was looking the other way) and still being the team's best player in most games. This applies especially when we're dealing with short tournaments. It's much more important to see prospect to be on top of the game and more importantly, on top of his peers. He's been just that and delivered some as well.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's a weak class, but usually I'm expecting at least someone to rise during the last season. It's relatively easy to enter conversations since the draft class's looking so weak. On Räty, that's a part of the problem. His peers. He wasn't very convincing at u-18s or even u-17s, when he really should be. His performance at Jr. As was rather good but not spectacular, though the playoffs went a bit better - we have to remember Kärpät is a dominant, dominant team, so he should look excellent in any comparison. Take Sebastian Aho for example, his production pace during the u-20 regular season nearly doubled Räty's for the equivalent ages. How amazing is being "dominant" at Hlinka as a u-18 when many Finnish prospects don't even play at Hlinka anymore at that age?

This is one of those players who could hit a wall when attempting to enter Liiga.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It's a weak class, but usually I'm expecting at least someone to rise during the last season. It's relatively easy to enter conversations since the draft class's looking so weak. On Räty, that's a part of the problem. His peers. He wasn't very convincing at u-18s or even u-17s, when he really should be. His performance at Jr. As was rather good but not spectacular, though the playoffs went a bit better - we have to remember Kärpät is a dominant, dominant team, so he should look excellent in any comparison. Take Sebastian Aho for example, his production pace during the u-20 regular season nearly doubled Räty's for the equivalent ages. How amazing is being "dominant" at Hlinka as a u-18 when many Finnish prospects don't even play at Hlinka anymore at that age?

This is one of those players who could hit a wall when attempting to enter Liiga.

Räty's points from last year weren't that spectacular which is partly why I wasn't sure what to think of him either. And sure, you can probably find a dozen players that were more productive in the JrA at his age, but never really made much of their careers. I didn't even follow if Räty had decent enough line mates or if he got to play premium minutes last year. Aho certainly did though at 2013-14, with Kalapudas and Puljujärvi (who didn't play all that many games in JrA though).

Well I'm sure anyone and everyone can hit the wall. Yet I see no indicators nor reasons for that happening with Räty. Guess we'll find out soon enough since it's only a month or so until the games begin.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Manner talked about Räty today on local newspaper Kaleva

Quotes from the paper article:

One line will likely be Jokinen-Pesonen-Koblizek, rest of them are still up to air.

Päävalmentajan mukaan muut hyökkäysketjut ovat vielä auki. Selvää on, että maailmanmestari Juho Lammikko saa suuren roolin. Senttereiden paljoudesta johtuen Miska Humaloja on Kärpissä jatkossa laitahyökkääjä.

– Ei meidän tarvitse ikää katsoa, jos harjoituksissa mahtuu 12 hyökkääjän joukkoon. Rasmus Kupari ja Kaapo Kakko käyvät hyvästä esimerkistä. Aatun oletusarvo on varmasti siellä Rasmuksen ja Kaapon välimaastossa, Manner pohtii.

Compares him to Kupari and Kakko, and think he is somewhere between these two, says he has been a top 12 forward at practice(or something??) and will move pure center Humaloja to the wing because there is too many options on center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pardus and fr9dd9

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Such a weird post. Kinda unneccecary:)

You are right. It was one of my most unnecessary posts during all my HFBoards writing career. And that is a lot - hundreds of nonsense posts among some gems and some of substance! :D I might have had some idle time doing nothing at my summer cottage - so the hell broke lose online, writing shit. Thus my apologies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
How do you pronounce his name?

Ah-two Rattie ?

Ah-two Rheet-ee ?
Finnish is always pronounced the same way. There are no exceptions outside of "ng". So it's pronounced as Aatu Räty. You can't make those English-izations for Aatu, and y doesn't exist in English in any form. It's pronounced as ü. The relationship of ü to u is the same as that of ö to o and ä to a(tongue front vs tongue back). ä is in "rat" and a in "hard", for example.

And btw, Finnish names are never pronounced correctly with that sort of an English-style spelling so you might as well wing it. They're going to have official pronunciations for all the boardcasters, though, so that they can all pronounce it equally as incorrectly. But I guess that wasn't the point.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Who the hell is Aatu Räty?! Suddenly you are hallucinating once again about the 1st OA. It is not meant to be for the Finnish prospects; in the recent memory Barkov, Laine and Kakko have all tried their best one after another and all failed. And last time I checked it was some Fenno-Canadian who was deemed to go first overall, and he just might since he is not an ethnic Fin but actually a Can lol, so the curse won't apply. But this Aatu Räty I have never ever even heard of, not much but hearsay to say the least, let alone seen him playing the game - you maintain he should be the spell breaker. Sounds insane but fair enough. We can always dream and hope.
I think the Finns always have to work against NA media bias, I don't get what more Kakko could have done to make his claim for 1OA (while Jack did not have the most impressive spring in my opinion), we will see if he should have been when they play their first few years in the NHL. It is incredible to me how the Finns continue to produce such stand-out talented players in this sport, hopefully Räty can be a next man up... it is great for the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad