C Aatu Räty - Jukurit, Liiga (2021, 52nd, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
how long is it? I vaguely remember Ville Pokka doing this as well.
In case you didn't get this answered yet, conscription is 165, 255, or 347 days, that's 5½, 8½, or 11½ months.

Depending on the mission and training and final rank. This is followed by periodic reservist training, until age 50 or 60, again depending on the task.

My understanding is that young pro athletes by default get the shortest 165 day term and they can serve it in a sports oriented unit, and they don't get the reservist call-ups. It's like the potential sports career is considered as a PR service rendered. I haven't looked at it that closely though.

Wikipedia has a tolerable piece on it in general, if you ignore some weird translations and the funny somewhat "look at me" criticisms at the tail end:
Conscription in Finland - Wikipedia

Reactions: slumpy43 and SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So the Kärpät didn't know how to get the best out of him?

It’s like the Tampa Bay lightning vs the current redwings. Karpat is about winning and relies on their vets. They’re not concerned with developing young players as their main focus. JOK can give Raty more ice time and opportunity to play.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
In case you didn't get this answered yet, conscription is 165, 255, or 347 days, that's 5½, 8½, or 11½ months.

Depending on the mission and training and final rank. This is followed by periodic reservist training, until age 50 or 60, again depending on the task.

My understanding is that young pro athletes by default get the shortest 165 day term and they can serve it in a sports oriented unit, and they don't get the reservist call-ups. It's like the potential sports career is considered as a PR service rendered. I haven't looked at it that closely though.

Wikipedia has a tolerable piece on it in general, if you ignore some weird translations and the funny somewhat "look at me" criticisms at the tail end:
Conscription in Finland - Wikipedia
Actually only about 1/3 of them serve for 165 days, most common is the 347, but their service is totally different as they are free to take part in team practices and games etc, and their military training is build around their sports-career so they have more freedoms and more sports training

Reactions: Stubu

ijuka

May 14, 2016
10 points in 8 games, then.

You can't help but wonder why his play was so poor with Kärpät. Perhaps he's the type of a player who needs a ton of ice time, perhaps he had a mental block and needed a fresh start, perhaps a combination of both. Nice to see that things seem to be working out for him.

Reactions: hn777 and illone84

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
10 points in 8 games, then.

You can't help but wonder why his play was so poor with Kärpät. Perhaps he's the type of a player who needs a ton of ice time, perhaps he had a mental block and needed a fresh start, perhaps a combination of both. Nice to see that things seem to be working out for him.

Karpat did his development a huge favor by moving him. Karpat is a veteran team
That is concerned with winning and competing. Raty was playing on the 3rd line and not seeing many minutes. Jokreit is younger and can give a young player like Raty the ice time and PP time he needs to help him develop and reach his potential hopefully.

I couldn’t believe the way Trotz went out of his way to praise Raty at isles camp. Usually he doesn’t go that in depth on a younger player. Especially not wanting them to get too complacent.

I’m so excited for Raty. I think he’s definitely a future top6 center if all goes well. Possibly even more.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
another assist today in a 1-0 win. Great situation for him to produce, I would still like to know how he looks from regular finnish watchers ! thanks

Reactions: SI90

Pataatti

Jul 5, 2014
Räty might end up being one of the biggest steals in his draft. After all he was once considered the frontrunner for 1st overall so there is a lot of untapped talent imo. Also now there is pretty decent proof that he was not in a position to succeed with Kärpät and maybe even that it hindered his developement. It's interesting to see how he can get better and what he can do in the future

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
another assist today in a 1-0 win. Great situation for him to produce, I would still like to know how he looks from regular finnish watchers ! thanks

Since the trade to Jokriet and him getting more playing time he’s been over a PPG

9gp 6g 5a 11pts

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Since the trade to Jokriet and him getting more playing time he’s been over a PPG

9gp 6g 5a 11pts
yes I know I follow as much as I can with boxscores/clips but I was more interested in the whole game, how is his skating? does he drive his line (Iknow he plays with palmu) ? Does he look like a top10 pick afterall or is he more taking advantage of opportunities? That's why if a jukurit fan or liiga fan can chim in thatd be great

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
This player was lifted too high for no good reason and was lowered too low for no good reason.

He was 15th in my ranking. Things were wrong with his game but he was too talented never to perform.

Islanders must have a good laugh. They selected a top 20 draft player without having a Round 1

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
This player was lifted too high for no good reason and was lowered too low for no good reason.
How so? When he was ranked high in the early rankings he was quite clearly ahead of most players in development, and when his rank fell he had a very dissapointing season and even failed to make the World Juniors.

I’d say there was a very good reason for both.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
How so? When he was ranked high in the early rankings he was quite clearly ahead of most players in development, and when his rank fell he had a very dissapointing season and even failed to make the World Juniors.

I’d say there was a very good reason for both.

I obviously wouldn't have written the previous post if I didn't think his # 1 hype looked wrong to me as well as the smear campaign.

His 2019/20 season was not that brilliant and his 2020/21 season was not that bad.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I obviously wouldn't have written the previous post if I didn't think his # 1 hype looked wrong to me as well as the smear campaign.

His 2019/20 season was not that brilliant and his 2020/21 season was not that bad.
He was a 6’1 as a 17 year old kid playing with adults in a pro-league, when most of his peers haven’t had a chance to prove themselves anywhere, having him as a early favorite for 1st OA early on was logical.

And if he hadn’t been elite prospect for a while already before the 20/21 season, he wouldn’t have been even a 2nd round draft pick, that’s absolutely how bad his 20/21 was. He got sent down, was not selected to U20 and once playing in U20 Sm-Liiga he was barely a PPG player.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
He was a 6’1 as a 17 year old kid playing with adults in a pro-league, when most of his peers haven’t had a chance to prove themselves anywhere, having him as a early favorite for 1st OA early on was logical.

And if he hadn’t been elite prospect for a while already before the 20/21 season, he wouldn’t have been even a 2nd round draft pick, that’s absolutely how bad his 20/21 was. He got sent down, was not selected to U20 and once playing in U20 Sm-Liiga he was barely a PPG player.

I know all this. But that doesn't prevent his performance from being overestimated and then undervalued from my point of view.

I have never followed either trend and been quite moderate.

5th when he was announced n ° 1; 15th when he was announced bad.

The current facts show very well that the talent never left. He encountered a wall. I remember a player who was both too passive and individualistic last year.

Looking forward to seeing him at the next world junior tournament.

Reactions: hn777

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
He isn't Sebastian Aho, but many people giggled when he was drafted in the 2nd round. Same thing will happen with Räty eventually.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I know all this. But that doesn't prevent his performance from being overestimated and then undervalued from my point of view.

I have never followed either trend and been quite moderate.

5th when he was announced n ° 1; 15th when he was announced bad.

The current facts show very well that the talent never left. He encountered a wall. I remember a player who was both too passive and individualistic last year.

Looking forward to seeing him at the next world junior tournament.
You stated ”This player was lifted too high for no good reason and was lowered too low for no good reason.” when in fact there were multiple good reasons why it happened.

Injury was the reason Raty didn't make the wjc team. He had spot otherwise.
That’s not true tho

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You stated ”This player was lifted too high for no good reason and was lowered too low for no good reason.” when in fact there were multiple good reasons why it happened.

Current sports performances clearly show that these were not good reasons. To detect is to foresee.

Even after a disappointing season, Raty had nothing to do behind a number of players selected before him.

Either way, I take it from my point of view. I'm happy to have fairly well estimated the value and potential of the player during his different phases (good or bad). It's one of my pride in my 2021 ranking.

Reactions: hn777 and Nate070

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Karpat deserves some credit. They didn’t have to trade him. They did the right thing for his development and it’s laying off. Raty is getting the ice time and opportunities he needs.

Yep, and the trade worked for them too. They got Axel Rindell (TOR 6th round 2020 draft) who has done great for them (10 games 1+8, which is not bad for a defender).

Raty was chosen the 1st star yesterday, and if I read stats correctly he once again had most TOI for any Jukurit forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad