C Aatu Räty - Abbotsford, AHL (2021, 52nd, NYI, traded to VAN) - PART 2

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Maybe a prime Mikko Koivu? 60-70pt 2-way center with good size and average skating.

It's not a 1 to 1 comparison but I think Pavel Zacha is a nice upside comparable in how people always felt he had too little engine and skating but was smart and good positionally.

I recognize Raty has some skating flaws but I'm repeatedly enamored by his ability to be smarter than his teammates in the course of the play - he is constantly recognizing and making small adjustments such as short 5 foot passes that just give a better angle to the play.

I think he's a guy who could really bloom playing off a more talented player as he's so good at adjusting for his teamates.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
How is he only 21.
Feel's like he's been around for ever. I thought he was 23 turning 24 this year lol

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
How is he only 21.
Feel's like he's been around for ever. I thought he was 23 turning 24 this year lol

Probably because he was so hyped as a 15 yr old. Hes been in the spotlight for a long time. But ya he has a late birthday and i believe was only days away from being eligible for the draft year after.

Very intriguing prospect for the Canucks.

I dont know if there's been an update on his mesurements lately as well but he looks massive to me when i watch Abby games in person.

He is listed at 6'2 190 but i wouldnt be surprised if he is somewhere like 6'3- 205lbs now. His man strength is coming in which is probably in relation to his development on the ice and his 14 pts in his last 7 games.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Probably because he was so hyped as a 15 yr old. Hes been in the spotlight for a long time. But ya he has a late birthday and i believe was only days away from being eligible for the draft year after.

Very intriguing prospect for the Canucks.

I dont know if there's been an update on his mesurements lately as well but he looks massive to me when i watch Abby games in person.

He is listed at 6'2 190 but i wouldnt be surprised if he is somewhere like 6'3- 205lbs now. His man strength is coming in which is probably in relation to his development on the ice and his 14 pts in his last 7 games.

Not true at all. He is late born 02 so he was one of the oldest players in his draft year. If he was 3 months younger, he would've been drafted the year before.

Reactions: UrbanImpact

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I don't hate Podz, i have never said i hated him, never going to, simply because i don't hate him,
i just doesn't see what ever some are seeing (including Canucks head coach) in his game.
TBF he's always been polarizing on this site but for me ever since his D-1 I've been fascinated by him so I probably tend to view him with a bit of bias. I'm not gonna lie I wish he was producing more but I think that it's merely been delayed because of how little offensive roles he got since he was drafted up until this season in Abby. The rest of his game is already there like just look at how lost Arshdeep looked.
I think next year he will get a chance in the top six where becomes a core piece, (hopefully)

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Just took a look at the Abbotsford lineup and it looks like there is a nice group of players in their early 20's knocking at the door should an opportunity with the Canucks arise.
It's quite a change from the previous regime who put very little emphasis on the farm system and preferred to bring players straight from Europe or college.
Alvin and JR have done an incredible job of building up the farm and maybe just as important has Abby playing a similar system making call-ups more seamless.

Good timing as well since we likely lose a bunch of our bottom six and backup goalie as well.
It's such an odd feeling having a GM that is able to plan more than a week at a time.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Imagine if his stagnation before the draft was because of covid AND that he still had a lot of growing left? I hope the best for him.

But I don't think Koivu is the best comparison. I believe Räty, if he can keep on developing, will have a lot better shot. Somewhat same stickhandling compared to Koivu. Let's not forget Mikko was pretty good on penalties.
Rätys biggest weaknesses will always be skating and intensity. But if he can keep on working hard? top9 forward and in a second PP-unit shouldn't be a stretch.
Actually, he reminds me a bit more of another Finnish player. Almost similar age and everything and that is? Anton Lundell. Good two-way game- IQ and a good shot. But weak skaters.

Strange thing is his less talented older brother actually is a lot better skater if I remember it correctly. Brothers but so different...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad