Byram joining Avs in Playoffs

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
After the Makar playoffs last year I wouldn’t be surprised to see Byram play if the Avs want a boost. Man was he good that series.

As much as I love Byram, I don't think anyone expects him to be as good as Makar was last year.

I'd be shocked if he plays tbh. We'll see how he shows in camp, but the Avs have 7-8 D already penciled in.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
As much as I love Byram, I don't think anyone expects him to be as good as Makar was last year.

I'd be shocked if he plays tbh. We'll see how he shows in camp, but the Avs have 7-8 D already penciled in.
Yeah Avs fans are completely infatuated with Byram but most of us still don’t expect him to ever be as good as Makar is now even.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Yeah Avs fans are completely infatuated with Byram but most of us still don’t expect him to ever be as good as Makar is now even.
Could turn into a Keith- Seabrook type pairing for us, helping lead us to several cups in their prime.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I don’t care about either team, but I’d rather have the Avs team over the Wild. But I also think neither team should waste a “year” of Kaprizov or Byram. Although if these guys are Black Aces and do nothing more than practice with the big club and it doesn’t waste a year of their ELC, meh.

Byram can play his nine games before burning, I'd be surprised if he gets even one official playoff game. They might play him for an exhibition game or maybe a round robin game but when it comes to the playoffs the Avs already have their top 6 D set, though Zadorov can't help himself from making it a conversation.

I actually wouldn’t be shocked to see Colorado play him and try to get 10 games out of him. Most people think they wouldn’t want to burn a year but Sakic tends to look at the long term picture more. With the flat cap expected for 3 seasons, it means Byram’s 2nd contract can begin with zero cap inflation arguments all while having less of a sample size to demand too much money. Essentially Sakic is almost certain to get Byram’s 2nd contract at a much smaller AAV than Makar (who will also have zero cap inflation arguments).

Avs have some cap space to take advantage of burning an ELC early for long term gain. It’s why Avs fans were so happy for Makar to burn a year last year. Makar can sign a long term deal this offseason despite only really having one year under his belt.

I don't think Byram is going to come near Makar's offensive production to justify the monster contract. Burning a year on Makar might end up a good thing for the Avs, I'm leaning towards the opposite for Byram.

If they play him, cool, but if he gets nine games I hope they're in the conference finals at least to justify it. I just don't think Bednar is going to have the trust for a green rookie in the playoffs when he's got good ol' Mark Barberio. The important thing for Byram is to have him around the team and practicing getting used to the Avs systems, essentially a jump start for camp next season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kind of a nothing story. He's not going to play but gets to be with the team.
Pretty much, however there's a news story I think by Ryan Clark which says that he's coming to Denver so Avs can control his offseason workouts, but he won't be considered for the playoffs along with Martin Kaut.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Honestly I think it would be more noteworthy if any signed junior player wasn't going to be available.

This. I mean Nick Robertson will be on the Leafs and was picked in the same draft 30+ picks deeper in. That is more of a story than this, and it's happening all around the league.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The NHL’s stance all along was that rosters have been set for awhile and it would be unfair to allow players of Kaprizov’s ilk to just parachute in and debut in a qualifying round against the Vancouver Canucks and then a potential postseason.

From Russo's article. Tell me again why Byram can play? The issue wasn't about contracts but rosters and having ringers.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
From Russo's article. Tell me again why Byram can play? The issue wasn't about contracts but rosters and having ringers.

Byram is signed and has been since about this time last year. I don’t see any reason Byram wouldn’t be allowed to play.

I’d imagine the players that aren’t allowed to play haven’t signed yet.

Last edited:

darthwispy

Jun 8, 2017
The difference between Byram and Kaprizov is that Byram would have been eligible to play for the Avs in the playoffs normally, whereas Kaprizov would have been ineligible because at the time the KHL season would have still been going. I do not believe a KHL player has ever been able to come over for the playoffs after their team stopped playing in the same season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Given Timmins had a nice season going with the AHL team, I figure he’d get an at-bat before Byram. Byram is probably #9 I’m the pecking order.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Based off his showing at the WJC, he wouldn’t be able to hold his own in the NHL playoffs

You mean when Dale Hunter elevated Byram to his number 1 defender, top ice time player, top Pk player and Byram also won the WJC. Blowing you up is too easy. Fish in a barrel.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I’m glad they are having him practice with the team. It gives him a jump on training camp, and hopefully he settles in nicely for next season. Maybe he even plays. Who knows

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Byram is signed and has been since about this time last year. I don’t see any reason Byram wouldn’t be allowed to play.

They haven't signed because the league would not allow them because of COVID. If it's not the players or the team's fault it should not be allowed to be held against them. They would have signed on 1st May.

To me personally that is the reason to NOT watch that NHL's show, whatever they call it.// playout, playoffs. If those players were allowed in, I would have watched it. Just adds to the negative resume of the NHL with me.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
They haven't signed because the league would not allow them because of COVID. If it's not the players or the team's fault it should not be allowed to be held against them. They would have signed on 1st May.

To me personally that is the reason to NOT watch that NHL's show, whatever they call it.// playout, playoffs. If those players were allowed in, I would have watched it. Just adds to the negative resume of the NHL with me.

Okay, but that seems like an entirely different situation than Byram. It’s not like an exception is being made here. Byram is just another guy under contract, eligible to play as anyone else would be.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Okay, but that seems like an entirely different situation than Byram. It’s not like an exception is being made here. Byram is just another guy under contract, eligible to play as anyone else would be.
It's not about Byram It's perfectly okay for players under contract to be eligible to play now. It's the question why the other players can't. They are not FAs, they can't pick a team. They are drafted. They were allowed to play so before. Now the NHL randomly rules they can't play.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Romanov signed. He can't play. Byram WAS NOT on their roster this season. Again, if you follow the stance of the NHL, it has always been they did not want players that were not on the roster this year to come in and play. Byram fits this to a T. He was not on the roster, except as below, in the pre-season.

The difference between Byram and Kaprizov is that Byram would have been eligible to play for the Avs in the playoffs normally, whereas Kaprizov would have been ineligible because at the time the KHL season would have still been going. I do not believe a KHL player has ever been able to come over for the playoffs after their team stopped playing in the same season.

Kaprizov could have been as he was on the NHL reserve list. Is it rare? Yes, but it hasn't stopped them before this season. Many players on reserve lists play. A lot of times it's guys from the CHL.

Byram played in pre-season games this season.

But he wasn't on the roster.

Okay, but that seems like an entirely different situation thn Byram. It’s not like an exception is being made here. Byram is just another guy under contract, eligible to play as anyone else would be.

Romanov signed his contract, but is ineligible to play. Again, contracts were never the issue. Did Byram secretly suit up and play the entire season for the Avs and no one heard about it?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Romanov signed. He can't play. Byram WAS NOT on their roster this season. Again, if you follow the stance of the NHL, it has always been they did not want players that were not on the roster this year to come in and play. Byram fits this to a T. He was not on the roster, except as below, in the pre-season.

Kaprizov could have been as he was on the NHL reserve list. Is it rare? Yes, but it hasn't stopped them before this season. Many players on reserve lists play. A lot of times it's guys from the CHL.

But he wasn't on the roster.

Romanov signed his contract, but is ineligible to play. Again, contracts were never the issue. Did Byram secretly suit up and play the entire season for the Avs and no one heard about it?

Again, Romanov just signed. Byram has been under contract for almost a year. Different situation.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Avs have some cap space to take advantage of burning an ELC early for long term gain. It’s why Avs fans were so happy for Makar to burn a year last year. Makar can sign a long term deal this offseason despite only really having one year under his belt.

Makar would have to be fool to lock into a long term commitment in a flat cap world. He will almost certainly sign a bridge deal as a result to set up his payday in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad