Bylsma eyes other guy for Malkin-Neal line

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't deny it's a bit of a crazy idea, but I have always viewed things this way in the salary cap world. Sure, if a guy like Sutter was a home-run next to Sid/Geno, then you do it, to heck with the financial consequences. But if the improvement from a guy like Jeffrey/Tangradi to Sutter is only sublte, then I think it's a factor.

I'm not just looking at having to re-sign all the guys we have, and there's a lot of them (Geno, Letang, Sutter, Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis - although I think the latter two can get done at a reasonable cap hit), but we're also going to want to make a run at Jarome Iginla, or perhaps even look to trade for a guy making some good coin. It may or may not be an issue, but we have to see how things shake out with these contract extensions, buy-outs, and possible incoming trade or UFA options.

Yeah I definitely understand what you mean. The long term benefit of "saving" Sutter's offensive potential until he's re-signed is a great thought. If you could conceivably lock him up at 3mil for 3-4 years take a run at Iginla and then have him explode on the wing with Sid/Geno, we'd be freakin stacked.

That said, in your comment I interpreted it (and maybe a bit too harshly) as sacrificing the present for future gains which we should never do. I personally don't think Sutter will provide some huge offensive gains over Jeffrey/Tangradi in the near term anyway, so I suppose it's a moot point anyway.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think they'll move Sutter up to the top six like they did with Staal. Except Sutter can play wing far more effectively and still take draws for Geno.

If this worked out, and Jeffrey could fill into the 3rd line center role, we would be really hard to beat:

Kunitz-Sid-Duper
Sutter-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Jeffrey-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Tangradi (my preference but we know it's Adams spot)

Each line has some grit, skill, and defensive responsibility. I really like the look of that 4th line.

My preference would still be to try Tangradi or Jeffrey in that top 6 left wing spot first to see what we have there.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
So apparently you guys are reading into the faceoffs thing different than me and think Sutter would be on the wing. Interesting. We'll see if they try it at camp / how Jeffrey slots in at 3C. Since that would be Jeffrey's natural position I guess we could do worse. Worse = Cooke on Line 2; Much Worse = Kennedy; ****can-worthy = Glass; Tangradi = unknown...

should be interesting.

And before anyone asks why, the reason is Cooke knows exactly what his role is, exactly what kind of goals he can score and would play within himself on Line 2 and do whatever he needs to do make Geno and Neal more successful. Kennedy OTOH would not play within himself, would take countless stupid shots / low percentage shots, and would generally disrupt the flow of the line by trying to do too much / prove "he belongs". Not saying Cooke has more offensive skill, saying Cooke would play smarter.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So apparently you guys are reading into the faceoffs thing different than me and think Sutter would be on the wing. Interesting. We'll see if they try it at camp / how Jeffrey slots in at 3C. Since that would be Jeffrey's natural position I guess we could do worse. Worse = Cooke on Line 2; Much Worse = Kennedy; ****can-worthy = Glass; Tangradi = unknown...

should be interesting.

I think there are limits to Disco's hard-headedness. I hope.

And revisiting the "Malkin to wing for the sake of a lesser player" experiment is probably something that even he wouldn't tinker with again. At least for any significant length of time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

should be interesting.

I personally don't think Sutter would be on the wing. I was just saying IF he was tried there and excelled, we would be in a very good situation. I think the safe bet is give him the 3rd line center position and exhaust all other options at 2nd line left wing first (of course experimenting switching him and Jeffrey). If this was a full camp, I think there'd be a better chance of seeing him at wing.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I personally don't think Sutter would be on the wing. I was just saying IF he was tried there and excelled, we would be in a very good situation. I think the safe bet is give him the 3rd line center position and exhaust all other options at 2nd line left wing first (of course experimenting switching him and Jeffrey). If this was a full camp, I think there'd be a better chance of seeing him at wing.

What I meant was you guys think if he goes to line 2 it will be at wing, leaving Geno at C. Hopefully Willy is right and even Disco realizes the stupidity of moving Geno off C, given the career year he had last year and chemistry with Neal while centering him. If he ever decides to "fix that not broken setup", I would lose a lot of respect for him as a coach.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
How does HCDB even mention Tanner, FN, Glass in the same sentence as Malkin & Neal?

So he wants to try a guy who averaged .148 points/game with our best offensive players? Craig Adams has even averaged a higher ppg than Glass and he shouldn't even be in the NHL. Is he trying to sack Geno's production to give Shero more leverage in negotiating his next contract? At least that motive has some sort of reasoning.

Bylsma has officially lost his last marble. Can the NHL fine him for this comment?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What I meant was you guys think if he goes to line 2 it will be at wing, leaving Geno at C. Hopefully Willy is right and even Disco realizes the stupidity of moving Geno off C, given the career year he had last year and chemistry with Neal while centering him. If he ever decides to "fix that not broken setup", I would lose a lot of respect for him as a coach.

Oh sorry I gotcha. Yeah I don't think Geno will be on the wing (or at least I hope not). I think you'd see Sutter take defensive zone draws, but Sutter would be the winger and Geno the center.

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
How does HCDB even mention Tanner, FN, Glass in the same sentence as Malkin & Neal?

So he wants to try a guy who averaged .148 points/game with our best offensive players? Craig Adams has even averaged a higher ppg than Glass and he shouldn't even be in the NHL. Is he trying to sack Geno's production to give Shero more leverage in negotiating his next contract? At least that motive has some sort of reasoning.

Bylsma has officially lost his last marble. Can the NHL fine him for this comment?

I disagree with you there. Tanner Glass brings a great physical game. He's not expected to score many points. But, I agree he doesn't deserve a spot in the top-6. He's an above-average 4th liner, but also a below-average 3rd liner.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I disagree with you there. Tanner Glass brings a great physical game. He's not expected to score many points. But, I agree he doesn't deserve a spot in the top-6. He's an above-average 4th liner, but also a below-average 3rd liner.

He was talking about Adams.

And he's right, IMO.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think there are limits to Disco's hard-headedness. I hope.

And revisiting the "Malkin to wing for the sake of a lesser player" experiment is probably something that even he wouldn't tinker with again. At least for any significant length of time.
I don't think he'll do that either. I think its more about finding that line another Kunitz. The RHed face offs is just a bonus.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Just saw that Andrei Kostitsyn and Marek Svatos are trying out with the Panthers. Damn, that's the exact kind of flier Shero should be taking, particularly AK.

They obviously aren't as concerned as us fans about the hole in our top 6. Showed no urgency to fill it back in July either. I'll say this, if lines/chemistry becomes a lingering issue, people will have plenty of ammo to criticize Shero.

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Just saw that Andrei Kostitsyn and Marek Svatos are trying out with the Panthers. Damn, that's the exact kind of flier Shero should be taking, particularly AK.

They obviously aren't as concerned as us fans about the hole in our top 6. Showed no urgency to fill it back in July either. I'll say this, if lines/chemistry becomes a lingering issue, people will have plenty of ammo to criticize Shero.

I've heard Alex Kovalev is trying out also. But he's washed up.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I've heard Alex Kovalev is trying out also. But he's washed up.

He is, but yet, there's nothing to lose by bringing somebody in to camp. A Comrie type move would make a ton of sense right now. I mean, we're talking about Tanner Glass in here. Matt Cooke the leader in the clubhouse. It could hardly be any worse.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I honestly think Bylsma has forgotten Jeffery is on this team. I thought the same thing last year towards the end of the season when he recovered from his injury... and then never went back in, never got mentioned that he was back, just sat in no-man's land practicing and nothing else. I haven't seen a quote from him even mentioning the guy's existence since the beginning of last season.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
I honestly think Bylsma has forgotten Jeffery is on this team. I thought the same thing last year towards the end of the season when he recovered from his injury... and then never went back in, never got mentioned that he was back, just sat in no-man's land practicing and nothing else. I haven't seen a quote from him even mentioning the guy's existence since the beginning of last season.

He's a useless hockey player IMO. What does he do? He doesn't have extreme speed, he doesn't hit, he doesn't score a lot, and he doesn't fight. He's basically Tangradi when he's in the NHL.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
He's a useless hockey player IMO. What does he do? He doesn't have extreme speed, he doesn't hit, he doesn't score a lot, and he doesn't fight. He's basically Tangradi when he's in the NHL.

Well two years ago he was our first line center for a month. He's got good hands and a good shot. He's a better fit for the spot than ****ing Kennedy and Glass.

Last edited:

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
According to Capgeek.com, these players are still available (I'm not sure if they're retired, playing in Europe or any other reason)

- Marco Sturm (he was terrible last season but we should at least give him an invite)
- Eric Fehr
- Jochen Hecht (if he's healthy)
- Brian Rolston
- Mike Knuble
- Petr Sykora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad