Bylsma eyes other guy for Malkin-Neal line

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Maybe I am too imaginative, but can we see some sense here: @Ledger_NJDevils Expect Petr Sykora to sign with an NHL team other than the Devils.

God, I hope not!

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Maybe I am too imaginative, but can we see some sense here: @Ledger_NJDevils Expect Petr Sykora to sign with an NHL team other than the Devils.

God, I hope not!

I was a big fan of his when he was here. Only 36, still had 20 goals last year... I wouldn't hate it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't read much into what Bylsma says before camp starts. He also was gushing over the possibility of Jagr a few summers ago. Fast forward and that seems like the ultimate Odd Couple.

A leopard doesn't change his spots. Bylsma wants straightline, predictable grinders. Matt Cooke will start the season in the top six. Take that to Vegas and win some cash, at least. The fact we no longer have Cooke-Staal-Kennedy as a possibility is the perfect opportunity for Bylsma to move Cooke up.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Kennedy
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams
Jeffrey

That is my prediction for Opening Night.

The odds favor your prediction, but I'm going to hope otherwise if that's o'k. ;)

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I wouldn't read much into what Bylsma says before camp starts. He also was gushing over the possibility of Jagr a few summers ago. Fast forward and that seems like the ultimate Odd Couple.

A leopard doesn't change his spots. Bylsma wants straightline, predictable grinders. Matt Cooke will start the season in the top six. Take that to Vegas and win some cash, at least. The fact we no longer have Cooke-Staal-Kennedy as a possibility is the perfect opportunity for Bylsma to move Cooke up.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Kennedy
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams
Jeffrey

That is my prediction for Opening Night.

I would imagine that you are right regarding the opening night lineup. Honestly, it's not terrible. I would hope that one of Tangradi or Jeffrey can play their way into the top six either in training camp or at some point in the season. But until Shero makes a move to acquire another option or two for the top six, it's not like Bylsma has a ton of other options.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think Lovejoy is completely on the outs. He's probably, what, 11th on the depth chart now?

Letang
Martin
Orpik
Niskanen
Engelland
Despres
Bortuzzo
Strait
Dumoulin
Morrow

They're all better options at this point. I don't see how Lovejoy stays here. He's not a bad NHLer, but we have way better options.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Lovejoy is completely on the outs. He's probably, what, 11th on the depth chart now?

Letang
Martin
Orpik
Niskanen
Engelland
Despres
Bortuzzo
Strait
Dumoulin
Morrow

They're all better options at this point. I don't see how Lovejoy stays here. He's not a bad NHLer, but we have way better options.

Morrow, Duloulin, Depres stay in WBS, and Lovejoy sticks at the #8 defenseman on the roster. Watch it happen . . . ;)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would like to see a speedy set-up man w/ Malkin/Neal. Beau's stats represent the set-up guy, but I can't say anything about him as I haven't seen more then 20 minutes of random footage.

I think Kunitz was good on that line for doing the small things while Neal/Geno dominated everywhere else. Tangradi doesn't fit that bill because he's a bit too slow. Cooke is a little better, but rushes when he has the puck.

Guys.. I'm thinking TK might fit that line. They'll get 100 shots per game and can do damage. I'd love to see BB get about 20 games so I can see his strengths/weaknesses at a pro level, but DB just doesn't do that.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Morrow, Duloulin, Depres stay in WBS, and Lovejoy sticks at the #8 defenseman on the roster. Watch it happen . . . ;)

I can see Despres making the jump on Lovejoy. Well, at least that's what i could imagine, but I know damn well that Loveyjoy will be there instead of one of the young'uns.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

That's exactly what's going to happen haha. I get nervous when I hear Crosby saying that Adams and Lovejoy "led" a lot of the practices the players had during the lockout.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I would like to see a speedy set-up man w/ Malkin/Neal. Beau's stats represent the set-up guy, but I can't say anything about him as I haven't seen more then 20 minutes of random footage.

I think Kunitz was good on that line for doing the small things while Neal/Geno dominated everywhere else. Tangradi doesn't fit that bill because he's a bit too slow. Cooke is a little better, but rushes when he has the puck.

Guys.. I'm thinking TK might fit that line. They'll get 100 shots per game and can do damage. I'd love to see BB get about 20 games so I can see his strengths/weaknesses at a pro level, but DB just doesn't do that.

If TK can stop chest sniping from the wing and pick his head up and pass, then yes he could succeed there. He needs to retrieve pucks, forecheck hard and give the damn puck to Geno. Then he will be fine.

That said, I'd still prefer a big bodied guy with hands. I don't really see the need for a speedy guy on that line, but it couldn't hurt.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

The problem with a speedy set up man is this: Who's the guy on the line who does the dirty work? Who's the guy (like Talbot or Malone) Geno trusts in the offensive zone that, when he dances himself into trouble, he can dump the puck into open ice and know the guy will get it?

I guess it's a catch 22 and really the reason I'm so high on Kulemin. He can read Geno. He's 6'1, 230. He has good speed for a guy that size. BUT, absent that wet dream, I've got no problem trying BB. You lose in terms of sustaining offensive zone pressure but maybe gain elsewhere (I just wonder if a BB-Geno-Neal line encounters some of the issues with line dynamics that Geno and Neal did with Sullivan).

With respect, TK with Geno and Neal would be a nightmare for the same reasons TK with Sid is a nightmare. He's a puck hog with tunnel vision who wouldn't understand his role on a line with the elite center. Push comes to shove, I'd rather have Cooke with Malkin and Neal for that reason alone.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
I don`t outright hate Lovejoy as a #7. Of course I want better, there are maybe 5 positions I don`t want better on, but the hate is getting way out there at times. Don`t think the role Lovejoy played here recently is the right one for Morrow to step into and am fine with not rushing him this season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's exactly what's going to happen haha. I get nervous when I hear Crosby saying that Adams and Lovejoy "led" a lot of the practices the players had during the lockout.

Are you trying to make me cry? :shakehead

Between what you wrote above and Cole thinking TK with Sid wouldn't be so bad, this page is killing me . . . :rant:

ObsessedCreative*

My take is this. I think Shero has made some great moves in his tenure, but since the Cup win, I question his philosophy. Seems to me that he used to put more of a premium on grit, size, and being tough to play against.

But since DB has fully implemented his own system (uptempo, North South, emphasis on skating and "PMD") I think we've seen the team lose that "tough to play against" aspect. It seems like Shero is all in with DB based on comments and a lot of the moves and picks he's made.

After all the playoff disappointments since the Cup (and especially after last year's debacle), I'm starting to wonder if Shero and DB aren't wedded to an approach that's not a good formula.

Back to the days of the "Good ole' boys country club! haha

I dunno, I just see it more as Shero is the guy 98% of the time "building" the team... if Disco can't utilize a system that works with what he is dealt and maximize full potential out of his players, then the responsibility is on him and he just isn't a good coach in this situation and a change is needed.

I think Shero has personally done a top notch job and given all the tools for this team to be successful and Disco is the one who keeps F-ing it up, time & time again.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't like Kennedy on left wing, and I would rather keep Neal on right wing. That's why I'd keep Kennedy at third line right wing.

Neal was pretty good as a LW in Dallas, but I think his sniping mentality came in part from playing on the off-wing. I don't want to lose that.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Are you trying to make me cry? :shakehead

Between what you wrote above and Cole thinking TK with Sid wouldn't be so bad, this page is killing me . . . :rant:

I'm on board with TK. Again though, he's the best of a not so great batch.

And **** no with Sykora. Benched once again during a Stanley Cup run, and let go after scoring a few goals in the regular season. Must be for a reason...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don`t outright hate Lovejoy as a #7. Of course I want better, there are maybe 5 positions I don`t want better on, but the hate is getting way out there at times. Don`t think the role Lovejoy played here recently is the right one for Morrow to step into and am fine with not rushing him this season.

I'm not sure anyone is saying that. Morrow should stay in the A. Even still, we have like 8000 other dmen. Strait or Bort should be the number 7 and Lovejoy should go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->