Speculation: Buyout of Nielsen?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
So we are just one defenceman-trade (DeKeyser?) away of not letting anything significant exposed.
That sounds about right. Nielsen is basically assured of staying because of the minimum amount of salary we have to expose for the Expansion Draft. Which is fine, because we have so many UFAs and expiring contracts in the coming years, that we don't have to worry too much about finding playing time for deserving prospects.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Don't see it happening.

Yzerman has openly stated Abdelkader's buyout was a cash move. They saved $3.2M doing it. Holland was nice enough to bless Frans with signing bonuses, so Detroit would only save $1.3M buying him out.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Don't see it happening.

Yzerman has openly stated Abdelkader's buyout was a cash move. They saved $3.2M doing it. Holland was nice enough to bless Frans with signing bonuses, so Detroit would only save $1.3M buying him out.

This, plus we shouldn't be adding more dead money to the cap 2+ years out. Let this contract be 100% off the books for the start of the 2022-23 season, which is the earliest we'd have a shot at being amy good anyways.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
LTIR requires a medical condition, and even if you are going to stretch the rules, it requires the player to be willing to call it quits on his career.

Why would Nielsen choose to end his career at random to save Ilitch money?

He makes the last year by insurance instead of Illitch holdings paying him. And if Hossa got by with LTIR, Nielsen if given a actual not just pass him because we need him to play that is usually done by team physicals.

Last edited:

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Don't see it happening.

cant help but want him gone. Veleno on ELC would be a better option ac a 3c or filpula.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I also wouldn't buy anyone out before expansion I mean maybe just maybe they take him.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Ehhh..... What a heck do you mean?

If they want to get rid of a big contract, they're going to have to pay for the privilege of doing so.

SFY isn't going to give them a "get out of jail free" card to help them out of a potential cap crunch.

Take Nielsen, and we've got something to talk about. We'll take your "bad" contract back, but we're not going to give it to you for free; you're going to have to work for it.

We might have to take a higher cap hit for a couple of years (Stamkos or Johnson, for example), but those will be players that help the team in the long(er) run, as opposed to a player/contract that hampers the team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If they want to get rid of a big contract, they're going to have to pay for the privilege of doing so.

SFY isn't going to give them a "get out of jail free" card to help them out of a potential cap crunch.

Take Nielsen, and we've got something to talk about. We'll take your "bad" contract back, but we're not going to give it to you for free; you're going to have to work for it.

We might have to take a higher cap hit for a couple of years (Stamkos or Johnson, for example), but those will be players that help the team in the long(er) run, as opposed to a player/contract that hampers the team.

I don't believe on this, because the pressure is to cut 8-9M out from the roster. They can't take anything bigger in, so quite sure they just pay enough with losing picks.

Tampa has cheap prospects to jump in and they are not gonna add any negative value on their team. That's just nonsense.

They sell Johnson + Killorn or whatever out for just giving draft picks. But are not gonna take dead weigtht like Nielsen in.

They are gonna pay yeah, for getting bad contract out, but if some replacement players go on their direction, those should be usable guys like Filppula (50% retention) or Erne. They are still a contender and need help. Not success weights or anchors.

IF Yzerman tries to add Nielsen on the deal, those draft picks will go to LAK, NJD, or OTT. They have better to offer.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
IF Yzerman tries to add Nielsen on the deal, those draft picks will go to LAK, NJD, or OTT. They have better to offer.
I don't see Nielsen getting traded either, but OTT has had an internal cap for years, so even without looking it up, I can tell you they aren't going to be involved in any big trade where they have to eat money.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is there a thought here that Tampa Bay a cap strapped team taking on Nielsen? They need cap space out with none coming back, so even a retained Nielsen is 2.6+ million. Makes no sense! That doesn't even touch the whole he wastes a roster space for them, which they certainly don't have for an AHL player.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I have not heard much thought about Nielsen going to Tampa but my reaction is

dLfPsSw.png

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Why is there a thought here that Tampa Bay a cap strapped team taking on Nielsen? They need cap space out with none coming back, so even a retained Nielsen is 2.6+ million. Makes no sense! That doesn't even touch the whole he wastes a roster space for them, which they certainly don't have for an AHL player.

That's just a thought coming pretty much from me. I'm just spitballing, there's no substance to anything I say, really.

Reactions: Oddbob

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Nielson has too much, "insurance" as a player to move with is cap hit/salary. 5 mill hit, 2.5 mill/1.5 mill salary the last years. He'll have a role as a healthy scratch C for this team this year, and possibly the same the following but could slide into the 4th line in 21-22 with Flippula/Glendening free agents. Plus his cap hit for the expansion... Idk, he isn't a complete albatross like Abdelkader. Abdelkader had like three more years on his deal with a high salary too.

You can grit out another season after this one, when hopefully this team is turning the corner and getting good/competitive and Red Wings will get 5 million in cap relief to spend on good players or their own players that need resigning. He's just got to be a quality veteran these next two years, or retire if he wants to. He might next year, with a 1.5 million dollar salary.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
My only concern is the roster spot. That said, it should be easy enough to bury him without having to worry about the dollars too much as the season is likely to be significantly shortened. Maybe seeing how that is going to look and possibly similar effects for the following year, he just calls it quits.

I think it makes the most sense not to buy him out and just let him decide if he wants to play out his career in the AHL or retire and walk away. Detroit doesn't need the cap space unless there is something in the works to acquire a cap dump with solid assets attached.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
My only concern is the roster spot. That said, it should be easy enough to bury him without having to worry about the dollars too much as the season is likely to be significantly shortened. Maybe seeing how that is going to look and possibly similar effects for the following year, he just calls it quits.

I think it makes the most sense not to buy him out and just let him decide if he wants to play out his career in the AHL or retire and walk away. Detroit doesn't need the cap space unless there is something in the works to acquire a cap dump with solid assets attached.

With only two years remaining on his deal it doesn't really matter. We still need at least two more years of top 5 picks bare minimum. He at worst can just be a 13/14 forward. Call up kids for looks when injuries hit.

Reactions: Retire91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad