Speculation: Buyout of Nielsen?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It doesn't save much money, but it does open up a roster spot, and the team has already picked up a much more capable player in Namestnikov.

I think they should do it for Frans' sake. He looked tentative on the ice, got nailed a bunch of times, and I think he's one hit away from getting LTIRetired. I'd rather not see him take that hit, because I don't want to see a player's career end that way.

Reactions: RedMenace

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It doesn't save much money, but it does open up a roster spot, and the team has already picked up a much more capable player in Namestnikov.

I think they should do it for Frans' sake. He looked tentative on the ice, got nailed a bunch of times, and I think he's one hit away from getting LTIRetired. I'd rather not see him take that hit, because I don't want to see a player's career end that way.
The story of Frans Nielsen's DRW career. Can't think of any other Wing that got smacked more often the past few than Nielsen.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The story of Frans Nielsen's DRW career. Can't think of any other Wing that got smacked more often the past few than Nielsen.
Hirose right before he got demoted, but I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person who noticed. Green gets whacked a lot too, he was always terrible at avoiding hits.

I think the Backes headshot did him in though. Not even sure what that was all about, clear cheap shot to the head, and Nielsen has never been a dirty player.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hirose right before he got demoted, but I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person who noticed. Green gets whacked a lot too, he was always terrible at avoiding hits.

I think the Backes headshot did him in though. Not even sure what that was all about, clear cheap shot to the head, and Nielsen has never been a dirty player.
Yea, but Backes has :laugh:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd rather buyout Nielsen next year.

It's meaningless to buyout Nielsen this year. We don't need that extra space anywhere.

Roster spot can be opened for other player by burying the contract on waivers.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'd rather buyout Nielsen next year.

It's meaningless to buyout Nielsen this year. We don't need that extra space anywhere.

Roster spot can be opened for other player by burying the contract on waivers.

Normally I would agree, but penalty is pretty much nothing. $666,667 in 2022/23 and same in 2023/24. We'll be just fine.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
But the gained space is just air. We don't need it.
$1.33M of actual cost savings, and we know that Chris is pinching pennies. Buyout hit of $667k in 22/23 and 23/24 is rather meaningless.

Only 2 reasons to keep Frans:
- Warm body to play after TDL
- Expansion draft (need to meet 40/70 rule)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Only 2 reasons to keep Frans:
- Expansion draft (need to meet 40/70 rule)

There you go.

We need to use him for only 10 games (60 games at last season) to meet the criteria.

I'd rather use him for 10 games, than be forced to use another crap for 40 games (at 2020-21), to meet the criteria because we had bought him out.

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitRed

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Something that might be more entertaining would be undercutting the teams looking to get cap floor compliant, target Fleury from Vegas, get the free assets, and promptly buy out Fleury and send him to free agency to sign with a contender.

I’d rather watch Nielsen play a 4th line role for the next few years and get the assets from Vegas as they sign Pietrangelo and end up salary cap pinched.

Just a thought.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Unless it really is about ownership saving money in the short term, I don't understand the need for it. As lousy as Nielsen has been, I don't see a single prospect that has knocked down the door to be on the roster instead.

If there's a move that needs every last cent of cap space now, then ok. But otherwise just ride it out and make him a healthy scratch.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would we have enough legit centers on the roster at that point?

X - Larkin - X
X - Namestnikov - X
X - Filppula - X
X - Glendening - X

Our centers are fine. They would even try Fabbri in the middle. There's also Ramussen, if he is not at Europe.

I think that expansion game-thing would be enough reason to keep Nielsen on the books (will need to play only 10 extra). Gagner fills the same hole (need to play 28 extra games). There has to be two guys with certain amount of games. Timashov (need to play 26), Hirose also could fill these criterias, but they have to play more (Hirose 40). Also would like to keep Timashov. Hirose can walk.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Would we have enough legit centers on the roster at that point?
Larkin
Namestnikov
Fabbri?

TDL Bait:
LGD
Helm (has played 3c and 4C)
Flip
Gagner (has played 3C)

Prospects:
- Raz
- Veleno
- Pearson

The team isn't going to make the playoffs, so it really doesn't matter, but buying out Nielsen increases the chance of one of the prospects playing after TDL if ALL of the trade bait get traded (which is highly unlikely anyways).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You have to think Yzerman should be able to score more players like Fabbri.

We'll have ~7M in cap space after Bertuzzi, Mantha and Timashov are signed to complete the roster.

Where do we need that Nielsen buyout, which will give ~3.5M of more space, but replacement player will cut 1M of it?

What difference does that extra 2.5M do?

7M or 10M? There's the space for moves anyways, and that will grow to be x4 at the deadline.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If it’s about the money, might as well do it. We can burn that cap space this year and next, and the 2 years after that are negligible.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
We'll have ~7M in cap space after Bertuzzi, Mantha and Timashov are signed to complete the roster.

Where do we need that Nielsen buyout, which will give ~3.5M of more space, but replacement player will cut 1M of it?

7M or 10M? There's the space for moves anyways, and that will grow to be x4 at the deadline.

Is it more about roster space than $$$?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

It's a move he'll do if he signs another UFA. There are still players available, and buying out Nielsen saves the team actual money.

Much like the Abby buyout, it's got nothing to do with the cap. I'd rather have Ryan than Abby, and if Stevie can pull of another similar move then Nielsen is gone.

I think he's gonna regret signing Erne and Biega if Chris put an internal cap on him. Small mistakes, but there are better players out there for the same money this offseason.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
But the gained space is just air. We don't need it.

It’s a roster spot, we have others I’d prefer on the roster. What is the issue of us doing this? I see no down side. I’d rather guys like smith, svech, Pearson etc. Rotate in then Nielsen occupying the spot.

we’ll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad