Speculation: Buyout of Nielsen?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
What benefits and cons are there to buying out Nielsen? We don't need the space?

Pros...it saves actual dollars, and clears a body on the roster to conceivably give someone a spot that could be more of a factor going forward.

Cons...carrying $667k in cap hit in 22-23 and 23-24. That's really it.

Outside of that I don't know if there's a whole lot to consider.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Pros...it saves actual dollars, and clears a body on the roster to conceivably give someone a spot that could be more of a factor going forward.

And let's be reality: That $667k cap is negligible, even in the current market.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
What benefits and cons are there to buying out Nielsen? We don't need the space?
Pros:
- Saves the team ~$1.33M in cash
- Saves the team ~$1.8M in cap space this year, ~$800K next year
- Opens up a roster spot

Cons:
- $667K cap hit in '22-23 and '23-24 that otherwise wouldn't be there

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Seems like this is a bit of a polarizing topic. Lots for it, lots against it. Personally, I'd be good with a buyout. I think the cap penalties are completely manageable.

Given what a lot of guys have signed for, I think you could use the roster spot and money to sign another player that could be a bigger contributor who conceivably could be traded at the TDL.

I know a lot of people are complaining about the $667k cap penalties in '22-24 and '23-24 (and I get it, to an extent). But given the flat cap over this and next year, if you used the roster spot and money to sign 1 year deals for guys you move at the TDL, you'd not only be buying the roster spot and better player in each of these two years, you'd also be buying the assets we get in return for those guys in trades.

A lot of wings fans were interested in signing a guy like Galchenyuk. Even though that wouldn't have been my preference, a guy like on a one year deal that you could possibly move at the TDL seems like a better play for that roster spot/cap space than Nielsen at this point (to me, anyhow).

Sure, you might take a flyer on a guy like that and they just flat out tank and are unmoveable at the TDL. Worst case, you took a shot and you likely ended up no worse than if you had Nielsen's unmoveable contract on the books at this year's TDL

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Buying out Nielsen is not going to result in the Wings signing anyone. It will be purely about the money saved over the length of the deal.
I see it as the other way around, Nielsen gets bought out if they sign someone. Both as a cost save and for roster space. THere are players better than Nielsen available in UFA. The other issue is the expansion draft, they need another forward signed for 21-22 that meets the 40/70 rule if they buy out Nielsen. (Namestnikov meets the requirements.)

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I say keep Nielsen so we have someone to offer up for the expansion draft. At this point we're starting to become hard pressed to find people we will protect, so having bodies with salary for expansion purposes is probably in our best interest. With all of the 1 year/expiring contracts we have, for next year, plus with all of the free and clear players (Seider/Zadina, etc) we will actually be in a good position to offer up Nielsen or DDK and Stevie won't be put over a barrel like a lot of other GM's were for Vegas.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Buying out Nielsen is not going to result in the Wings signing anyone. It will be purely about the money saved over the length of the deal.
If the Wings are going to take on a cap dump like they are rumored to with Tampa, they will need to buyout Nielsen. They are currently out of roster spots assuming Mantha and Timashov sign. I agree though, I don't think they are going to sign someone with the roster spot, its going to be a cap dump trade if anything.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
The other issue is the expansion draft, they need another forward signed for 21-22 that meets the 40/70 rule if they buy out Nielsen. (Namestnikov meets the requirements.)

Thats a good point. I would be pretty confident we end up with a Tampa cap dump if we buy out Frans considering this. Most likely Tyler Johnson since he is most likely to actually waive his NTC to go to Seatle.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I see it as the other way around, Nielsen gets bought out if they sign someone. Both as a cost save and for roster space. THere are players better than Nielsen available in UFA. The other issue is the expansion draft, they need another forward signed for 21-22 that meets the 40/70 rule if they buy out Nielsen. (Namestnikov meets the requirements.)

Erne is 14 games shy of the expansion 70 games. Timashov 26 games shy. I think these guys could play and meet the requirements. Extend them at next summer for small salaries, and you don't need Nielsen contract.

Nielsen has to play 10 games to meet that 40/70 rule.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

There are better players than the ones we signed. Henkka already mentions there are other guys who will likely hit that 40/70 requirement, and we can send a bunch of guys to GR or just onto waivers to clear a roster space. Nielsen, Flip, Timoshov, Erne. With how far the Wings are from the cap ceiling, and how cheaply guys are likely to start signing for at this point, if $1.4m is that big of an issue the owner isn't going to send it back out the door after putting it into his wallet.

If the Wings are going to take on a cap dump like they are rumored to with Tampa, they will need to buyout Nielsen. They are currently out of roster spots assuming Mantha and Timashov sign. I agree though, I don't think they are going to sign someone with the roster spot, its going to be a cap dump trade if anything.

Players can be sent to GR or waived. Is sam Gagner really going to be a guy we look at and say, "damn, we can't risk losing this guy?" We could just waive Nielsen.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

LTIR saves more in 2021 and you don't have to pay him for 4 years. Only this coming season.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
LTIR saves more in 2021 and you don't have to pay him for 4 years. Only this coming season.

LTIR requires a medical condition, and even if you are going to stretch the rules, it requires the player to be willing to call it quits on his career.

Why would Nielsen choose to end his career at random to save Ilitch money?

Reactions: r0bert8841

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
4+5 = 9 in 60 games. Abdelkader-like stats. I'd give him the choice of LTIR (blame concussions or allergy or something) or buyout. Maybe he chooses the buyout, so he can keep on playing hockey in Europe. Club hockey against weak competetition in Denmark, while being a permanent fixture on the Danish national squad, earning buyout cash. A nice way to ride into the sunset.

Reactions: odin1981 and Henkka

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I say keep Nielsen so we have someone to offer up for the expansion draft. At this point we're starting to become hard pressed to find people we will protect, so having bodies with salary for expansion purposes is probably in our best interest. With all of the 1 year/expiring contracts we have, for next year, plus with all of the free and clear players (Seider/Zadina, etc) we will actually be in a good position to offer up Nielsen or DDK and Stevie won't be put over a barrel like a lot of other GM's were for Vegas.
Losing Dekeyser would actually suck. I disagree with putting him and Nielsen on the same level.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Losing Dekeyser would actually suck. I disagree with putting him and Nielsen on the same level.

DeKeyser is fine as trade bait. We just have to rehab him, and put him on the ice, have 40 games under the belt as healthy and good old useful version of DeKeyser.

I think he could fetch easily 2x 2nd rounders if traded to contender.

Reactions: golffuul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So far, on expansion purposes I would build it like this:

Red guys Protected:
1. Larkin
2. Mantha

Helm - UFA - traded before expansion.
3. Bertuzzi
4. Fabbri

Filppula - UFA - traded before expansion.
5. Namestnikov
Glendening - UFA - traded before expansion.
Bobby Ryan - UFA - traded before expansion or let walk.
6. Rasmussen
7. Svechnikov

-----------------Left exposed:
8. Frans Nielsen (needs 10 games for the 40/70 rule)
9. Adam Erne (needs 14 games for the 40/70 rule)
10. Dmytro Timashov (needs 26 games for the 40/70 rule)
11. Sam Gagner (needs 28 games for the 40/70 rule)

Red guys Protected:
1. Hronek
Nemeth - UFA - traded before expansion.
2. Cholowski
MStaal - UFA - traded before expansion or let walk.
3. Gustav Lindström
Merrill - UFA - possible non-factor.... maybe extended after expansion.
Biega - UFA. non-factors...
-----------------Left exposed:
4. Dan DeKeyser (needs 40 games for the 40/70 rule) - traded before ?
5. Troy Stecher (already meets the 40/70 rule) think he was possibly acquired as the Vancouver-based guy loving to go to Seattle.
6. Joe Hicketts
7. Dylan McIlrath

Red guys Protected:
1. G Thomas Greiss
G Bernier - UFA - traded before expansion?
--------------------- Left exposed:
G - Kevin Boyle
G - Calvin Pickard
G - Patrik Rybar
G - Kaden Fulcher (will meet the signed goalie -rule)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad