Speculation: Buyout of Nielsen?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Something else to consider with Nielsen, considering where the Wings are going with off-season spending, his cap hit might be needed to make reaching the cap floor doable. This year his salary is still $5m, but next year it's only $3m, but with a $5.2m cap hit - something very similar to Staal's contract and which I think played a big role in that trade being approved.

So, keep Nielsen around, use the cap hit to get to the floor while being able to spend less in real money.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Something else to consider with Nielsen, considering where the Wings are going with off-season spending, his cap hit might be needed to make reaching the cap floor doable. This year his salary is still $5m, but next year it's only $3m, but with a $5.2m cap hit - something very similar to Staal's contract and which I think played a big role in that trade being approved.

So, keep Nielsen around, use the cap hit to get to the floor while being able to spend less in real money.

I get all this with Nielsen. His buyout is dirt cheap because of the back-dive though as well, but we might need him like you said.

Given where our salary is and then the lack of activity and yes I grant we don't know how close we got on certain things. But it must be said, why the hell buyout Abdelkader a year or two early? I get those saying it sends a message, but he wasn't going to be on the Wings. I just find his buyout more perplexing by the day, like who cares if he was here this year?

Reactions: RedMenace

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I get all this with Nielsen. His buyout is dirt cheap because of the back-dive though as well, but we might need him like you said.

Given where our salary is and then the lack of activity and yes I grant we don't know how close we got on certain things. But it must be said, why the hell buyout Abdelkader a year or two early? I get those saying it sends a message, but he wasn't going to be on the Wings. I just find his buyout more perplexing by the day, like who cares if he was here this year?

It saves Ilitch money. I know this rubs some folks the wrong way, but I think the moves this offseason should make it pretty clear that Ilitch cares a lot about his bottom line. Maybe that changes, maybe it doesn't.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It saves Ilitch money. I know this rubs some folks the wrong way, but I think the moves this offseason should make it pretty clear that Ilitch cares a lot about his bottom line. Maybe that changes, maybe it doesn't.

Totally agree, I am worried about Chris now. We needed painful rebuilds unfortunately with both clubs so I am curious to see the future, but you see more businessman and less sports fan as we progress in my opinion. The Tigers should get there soon, so they are probably the earlier case study of in terms if their young talent pans out what kind of investments does Chris make?

I just think carrying the extra salary this year would allow for only the two dead money years, that would have been preferable in my opinion. To blow that over 3.5 million dollars and to hide initially behind we might go do some things in terms of that did rumble for a second around Detroit was a little silly for me.

All that said, I think Yzerman has had a very good off-season, he accomplished some things he wanted to and he continues to overhaul the team and organization to meet what he is looking for. I think there are parts of that are still classic Red Wings, but some new philosophies and I like a lot of these moves to make us a more watchable team next year but with a long-term flexibility to continue trying to be in a position to get star talent. They have put better vets around, but it is still on our young guys to win games, if they cannot do it we get more talent at the top of the draft. It's that core group that still has to push us to wins and get a lot better, I think that is the right way to rebuild and I appreciate some of the guys he brought in this off-season, they were solid hockey players on good short term deals. When we do have a season, I think it will be a little less depressing than last year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Totally agree, I am worried about Chris now. We needed painful rebuilds unfortunately with both clubs so I am curious to see the future, but you see more businessman and less sports fan as we progress in my opinion. The Tigers should get there soon, so they are probably the earlier case study of in terms if their young talent pans out what kind of investments does Chris make?

I just think carrying the extra salary this year would allow for only the two dead money years, that would have been preferable in my opinion. To blow that over 3.5 million dollars and to hide initially behind we might go do some things in terms of that did rumble for a second around Detroit was a little silly for me.

All that said, I think Yzerman has had a very good off-season, he accomplished some things he wanted to and he continues to overhaul the team and organization to meet what he is looking for. I think there are parts of that are still classic Red Wings, but some new philosophies and I like a lot of these moves to make us a more watchable team next year but with a long-term flexibility to continue trying to be in a position to get star talent. They have put better vets around, but it is still on our young guys to win games, if they cannot do it we get more talent at the top of the draft. It's that core group that still has to push us to wins and get a lot better, I think that is the right way to rebuild and I appreciate some of the guys he brought in this off-season, they were solid hockey players on good short term deals. When we do have a season, I think it will be a little less depressing than last year.
I've said this to Winger already, but I'll say it again. When arena attendance is allowed again, then Chris will start spending money. Simply because winning NHL teams make more money. He will want to fill LCA.

I follow the Caps, and it was even worse with their rebuild, they had a complete fire sale. Fans questioned if Leonsis would ever spend any money after getting completely burned on Jagr. As soon as Ovy brought fans to the game, he started spending. The Pens went bankrupt before Crosby, but they've been spending the max since.

Once this team has a true core, Chris will spend because it's good business. Same reason why I said there was a high possibility of Abby getting bought out. It's all business, but it will work on in the end. Book it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I really don't have high hopes for Ilitch to really spend on the Tigers. I think we'll see him keep the kids around as long as they are somewhat affordable, but if any start demanding the sort of salaries Miggy and Verlander carried...I wouldn't be surprised to see them moved. And I'm sort of thinking the same thing with the Wings. I don't think he'll be Dollar Bill Wirtz, but I'm at a point where I think we are going to see the financials play a bigger role in how his teams are constructed and the moves they are allowed to make.

Especially with how this off-season went. I give Yzerman an A for effort because I think his hands ended up being tied, but this was also an offseason where the Wings could have probably pushed a bigger move or two if they were willing to spend at pre-covid levels and eat a year or two of red ink. and if they are serious about being a respectable team in two years, I think that sort of investment in an offseason is a necessity, that such a timeline just isn't there if the plan is to keep signing $1m guys and moving kids up. They might still get there, but I think the timeline is closer to 4-5 years.

And this isn't to say the Wings don't turn around and spend a bit harder next off-season. They might and I'll be happy about it, but I don't expect it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad