Speculation: Buy-low candidates

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The league is going younger across the board, pass on all and bring in some youth to learn from Championship vets
I thought this was going to be a thread about young prospects that could use a change of scenery, rather than old washed up vets. The Hawks already have too many of those. They need more utes.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'd stay far away from Virtanen.

It's one thing if a guy is struggling on a bad team and is in need of a change of scenery. It's another thing if the guy is putting up mediocre to bad numbers in the minor leagues too.

Virtanen was just a guy who got drafted way too high based on size. He won't be the last. I'd stay far away.

If you could buy low on Rick Nash and get him to agree to a Richards type deal, I'd be all over that. Otherwise I'd go hunting for BIG fish in the D trade market.

Campoli wasn't awful at all. He was pretty good, he just got torched on one turnover, got injured, and then was super vocal during the 2013 lockout which may or may not have got him blackballed (depending on who you ask). I'd have had him back in 2012 if he wasn't persona non grata. But they we traded for Oduya, so it worked out fine.

Speaking of, Oduya was an Olympian well before he suited up for the Blackhawks. He may have played his best hockey here, I'll admit I wasn't watching New Jersey very closely when he played there through his prime. He certainly played better with Hammer than he did with any of his partners on ATL/WPG but I don't think we can give Q credit for a reclamation project when the guy was already considered one of the best in the world by his own country's national program.

Rick Nash makes some sense. He and Toews have played together quite a bit for team Canada. I’m not sure he gets Richard’s type bargain aav, that was a unique situation where Richard’s was still getting paid big money by NYR, but even a short term deal at 4-5m could make some sense, 2-3 years max. I’d prefer one year for more AAV if cap space is not an issue but someone will give him term.

Saad-Toews-Nash
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Hinostroza-Anisimov-Sikura
Duclair-Edjsell-Hayden
Kampf/Kahun

Reactions: BobbyJet

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'd stay far away from Virtanen.

It's one thing if a guy is struggling on a bad team and is in need of a change of scenery. It's another thing if the guy is putting up mediocre to bad numbers in the minor leagues too.

Virtanen was just a guy who got drafted way too high based on size. He won't be the last. I'd stay far away.

If you could buy low on Rick Nash and get him to agree to a Richards type deal, I'd be all over that. Otherwise I'd go hunting for BIG fish in the D trade market.

Campoli wasn't awful at all. He was pretty good, he just got torched on one turnover, got injured, and then was super vocal during the 2013 lockout which may or may not have got him blackballed (depending on who you ask). I'd have had him back in 2012 if he wasn't persona non grata. But they we traded for Oduya, so it worked out fine.

Speaking of, Oduya was an Olympian well before he suited up for the Blackhawks. He may have played his best hockey here, I'll admit I wasn't watching New Jersey very closely when he played there through his prime. He certainly played better with Hammer than he did with any of his partners on ATL/WPG but I don't think we can give Q credit for a reclamation project when the guy was already considered one of the best in the world by his own country's national program.

I will die on the Campoli hill with you. One final play determined his Blackhawks career in many's eyes. He was a solid d-man that I would've been fine with returning.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Campoli was up and down awful and only reason people convinced themselves he was anything else is because he was upgrade over Jassen Cullimore , Nick Boynton and Jordan Hendry

Campoli was a trainwreck in every stop and its a reason his short career saw him moving from organization to organization

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Campoli was up and down awful and only reason people convinced themselves he was anything else is because he was upgrade over Jassen Cullimore , Nick Boynton and Jordan Hendry

Campoli was a trainwreck in every stop and its a reason his short career saw him moving from organization to organization

This on the other hand is very inaccurate. Campoli was a fine bottom pairing guy in his prime. No one is claiming he was a top 4 guy.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
This on the other hand is very inaccurate. Campoli was a fine bottom pairing guy in his prime. No one is claiming he was a top 4 guy.

Campoli was good but not great. Hawks wanted to re-sign him but he held out for more money. Better to let him go than have another Seabrook contract out there.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Campoli was okay, but I always felt he should have been better than he was.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Campoli was okay, but I always felt he should have been better than he was.

Same thing Isles thought
Same thing Sens thought
Same thing Bowman thought
Same thing Habs thought

Campoli is a lot like Anton Babchuk

You saw flashes of player that got drafted in 1st round but then you saw flashes of guy who wouldn't be good enough for a rec league

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'd be interested in Max Domi if the price was low enough. He has a lot of physical tools, but his hockey IQ seems to be really lacking. He had a hot rookie season, the league adjusted, and he's had no answers since.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Same thing Isles thought
Same thing Sens thought
Same thing Bowman thought
Same thing Habs thought

Campoli is a lot like Anton Babchuk

You saw flashes of player that got drafted in 1st round but then you saw flashes of guy who wouldn't be good enough for a rec league
Hyperbole much??!! Maybe you should lace them up and play before you write complete bs like that. Just about every poster on HF would love to have played as well as Campoli did. Do you even have a clue?

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
3 trade lowish candidates would be Klefbloom who had some injuries (Nurse needs to be signed on the same side), McDonagh did not meet expectations (and Hedman/Sergachev will demand the top 4 icetime on the left side there), and Shattenkirk had a disappointing season along with the Rangers seemingly in full rebuild mode (Shattenkirk with only 3 years and 6.65 per will be much better term and rate then Carlson gets).

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
3 trade lowish candidates would be Klefbloom who had some injuries (Nurse needs to be signed on the same side), McDonagh did not meet expectations (and Hedman/Sergachev will demand the top 4 icetime on the left side there), and Shattenkirk had a disappointing season along with the Rangers seemingly in full rebuild mode (Shattenkirk with only 3 years and 6.65 per will be much better term and rate then Carlson gets).

I’d be all over Klefbom. That contract is amazing for a guy who has top pairing potential

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Max Domi is a more talented Versteeg. He's a great piece on the right team. AA out of Detroit is another one I'd be interested in if he's cheap.

If the Oilers are intent on being the Oilers Klefbom is a guy I'd absolutely be in on. Chia is absolutely dumb enough to value a guy like Seabrook to boot. Seabrook+Hino+Nashville's first for Klef? I'd do it all day. Gives them a first and a cheap winger who can keep up with McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad