Speculation: Buy-low candidates

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
One of my favorite parts of sports is teams finding guys with low value, who end up booming when given a change of scenery and a new role.

The moneyball A’s and the Golden Knights are amazing/extreme examples of this leading to championship contenders. In other extreme cases hitting big on a low value guy gets you a Wild version of Eric Staal.

Who are some low value guys you’d like to see the Hawks target this offseason?

Two for me, Jake Virtanen and Michael Dal Colle. Two bigger guys with speed who seem to have disappointed their current clubs. If they can be had for Jurco type deals, it’s worth taking the shot and see if they can turn their respective careers around.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
After being traded to Rangers, Namestnikov only had 4 points in 19 games. I'd be fine with trading a 2nd for him. We need a guy that can bounce around the lineup and also play center. He could be our replacement for Anisimov if we end up trading him. Plus he is 4 years younger.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
After being traded to Rangers, Namestnikov only had 4 points in 19 games. I'd be fine with trading a 2nd for him. We need a guy that can bounce around the lineup and also play center. He could be our replacement for Anisimov if we end up trading him. Plus he is 4 years younger.

Hawks don't have a 2nd this season.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Yeah, but you have to get the team to take a 2nd they have to wait over a year to use.

New York has 7 picks in the first three rounds this year. I'm sure a rebuilding team will be fine with spreading their picks into 2019.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Q is not equipped to accomplish a turnaround of a player.

Name a player who came here, improved and had their best seasons here.

Ladd?
Campbell?
Oduya?
Frolik?
Kopecky-Yes
Carcillo?
Eager-Maybe
Campoli?
Lepisto?
Olesz?
Emery-Yes
Regin?
Cumiskey?
Anisimov-Maybe
Panik-Yes
Sekac?
Panarin?
Tikhonov?
Weise?

Not a great track record of developing/reviving guys here. 3/19

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Ladd?
Campbell?
Oduya?
Frolik?
Kopecky-Yes
Carcillo?
Eager-Maybe
Campoli?
Lepisto?
Olesz?
Emery-Yes
Regin?
Cumiskey?
Anisimov-Maybe
Panik-Yes
Sekac?
Panarin?
Tikhonov?
Weise?

Q is awesome with his "type" of players. Even if the player is young, Q can develop a certain type of players who "fits" his system. That said, even if the player is talented, if he doesn't fit his system, he is quickly ignored.

Q is a great coach and deserves his due. That said, he can't / won't develop a system that best fits his roster. Instead the players have to fit his system. In that sense, I wonder if Q is the best fit for a young / rebuilding team.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Ladd?
Campbell?
Oduya?
Frolik?
Kopecky-Yes
Carcillo?
Eager-Maybe
Campoli?
Lepisto?
Olesz?
Emery-Yes
Regin?
Cumiskey?
Anisimov-Maybe
Panik-Yes
Sekac?
Panarin?
Tikhonov?
Weise?

What in any sense are you possibly judging this on to not glowingly says yes to guys like Oduya? He was playing well shutting out top lines as the main matchup at his best in 13-14.

If its offensive production he surely isnt hitting a players best result a lot but plenty in that list went from being low fruits to better full ice skaters that went on to play on playoffless teams where they got more points like Frolik and Ladd.

And hasn't Anisimov actually hit career highs? He's better at what should be expected, turning a guy into a good 2way player given the talent

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
What in any sense are you possibly judging this on to not glowingly says yes to guys like Oduya? He was playing well shutting out top lines as the main matchup at his best in 13-14.

If its offensive production he surely isnt hitting a players best result a lot but plenty in that list went from being low fruits to better full ice skaters that went on to play on playoffless teams where they got more points like Frolik and Ladd.

And hasn't Anisimov actually hit career highs? He's better at what should be expected, turning a guy into a good 2way player given the talent

Oduya was a fine player in NJ on some very good teams. Same as here.

Anisimov beat his previous high in points by 1. Playing with P. Kane.

Frolik came in as a 20 goal scorer, couldn't score 10 here and then left to become a borderline 18-20 goal scorer again.

Ladd had 11 goals the season before he came, as a 21 year old. Progressed to 15 and 17 here. Left and became a steady 25 goal scorer.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
That retention is worth it right now, unless you believe Seabrook will stop declining, and remain what he is now for the next 5 years.

True, but then we could find ourselves in another Bickell situation where we made a trade we didn’t have to if the compliance buyout comes.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
True, but then we could find ourselves in another Bickell situation where we made a trade we didn’t have to if the compliance buyout comes.

Then you’re stuck with $2 million-ish. What happens if there’s not a compliance buy-out in the new CBA, and you wait a few years to find that out? Then you’re stuck with nearly $7 million, with zero chance of moving him at that point, even with 50% retention.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Then you’re stuck with $2 million-ish. What happens if there’s not a compliance buy-out in the new CBA, and you wait a few years to find that out? Then you’re stuck with nearly $7 million, with zero chance of moving him at that point, even with 50% retention.

Yeah, you’re right about that. It’d be now or never for something like that. My main thing is I don’t want or think we can afford to give up assets to move him. I still like Sekera as a potential Seabrook trade option. 3 years left at 5.5M. If Chiarelli was willing to make that deal so long as we evened out the salaries, that’d be fine.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah, you’re right about that. It’d be now or never for something like that. My main thing is I don’t want or think we can afford to give up assets to move him. I still like Sekera as a potential Seabrook trade option. 3 years left at 5.5M. If Chiarelli was willing to make that deal so long as we evened out the salaries, that’d be fine.

That’d be interesting. Why would Edmonton want to make that move, are they trying to get rid of Sekera?

Also, I agree with you on not wanting to give up assets to move Seabrook. That’s why it think this offseason is your last chance to move him with just salary retention.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
That’d be interesting. Why would Edmonton want to make that move, are they trying to get rid of Sekera?

Just speculation on my part. He played poorly last season coming back from the injury and apparently he didn’t look good in the worlds either. He is the antithesis of Seabrook as a defenseman and Seabrook is a Chiarelli type player. Seems plausible.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

Ladd?
Campbell?
Oduya?
Frolik?
Kopecky-Yes
Carcillo?
Eager-Maybe
Campoli?
Lepisto?
Olesz?
Emery-Yes
Regin?
Cumiskey?
Anisimov-Maybe
Panik-Yes
Sekac?
Panarin?
Tikhonov?
Weise?

Woof, get Emery out of there. Any credit to goalies goes to the Waite brothers the last decade. You could argue Q has never taken a player and made him into an NHL gem. We all know and beat the horse to death Q is far removed from being a good developmental coach and is battlefield general in the sense that he manages whats in front of him, not catering his war strategy based on the strengths and weaknesses of his and his opponents armies. Q is an enigma because I would argue its truly hard to value his effectiveness as a coach because he rode coattails of the primes of guys like keith, seabrook, crawford, kane, hossa, etc with tremendous supporting casts in each of their three cup wins and its hard to argue that a bunch of other coaches couldnt have also won a cup with those teams as well.

But Q is directly liable for losing a cup in 2014 the way he butchered his lineups and refused to make adjustments until it was too late in that Kings series

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Ladd?
Campbell?
Oduya?
Frolik?
Kopecky-Yes
Carcillo?
Eager-Maybe
Campoli?
Lepisto?
Olesz?
Emery-Yes
Regin?
Cumiskey?
Anisimov-Maybe
Panik-Yes
Sekac?
Panarin?
Tikhonov?
Weise?

Most of those players are/were barely NHLers. And most of the other guys went from being on other teams top 6, to our bottom 6 because of our depth, and then to another teams top 6. Campbell became better defensively, Oduya played his best hockey here, Frolik improved big time defensively, and Panarin won ROTY. Carcillo, Eager, Campoli, Lepisto, Olesz, Regin, Cumiskey, Sekac and Tikhonov were all terrible hockey players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad