TSN: Button

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
As far as prospect knowledge goes he is on another level . He is a tremendous talent evaluator, and puts in the work.. Breaking down film and watching live games. As a scout he is as good as it gets. The hockey world is lucky to have him.

Those that dislike him probably have an elliot Friedman poster ,above their participation trophy collection

Reactions: slozo

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I could be wrong but wasn’t Button the guy who said Kapanen wouldn’t play in the NHL? That being PPG in the AHL didn’t mean anything?

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Button has probably forgotten more about hockey than most people on these boards will ever know. With that said I don’t mind him when he is on shows like overdrive where he can’t dominate the conversation and more less stays in his lane. When I hear him on leafs lunch he just bullies Andi P and that’s when I don’t care for his takes as much.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Button has probably forgotten more about hockey than most people on these boards will ever know. With that said I don’t mind him when he is on shows like overdrive where he can’t dominate the conversation and more less stays in his lane. When I hear him on leafs lunch he just bullies Andi P and that’s when I don’t care for his takes as much.
I wouldn't miss him ....

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Bob McKenzie is the most balanced with his opinion and in that way he's the most credible .

Craig Button Is right more than he's wrong it's just his personality is hard to take at times .

Dave Poulin is another with a lot of hockey knowledge .

Last edited:

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Bob McKenzie is the most balanced with his opinion and in that way he's the most credible .

Craig Button Is right more than he's wrong it's just his personality is hard to take at times .

Dave Poulin is another with a lot of hockey knowledge .

Those 3 are total professionals. Love Poulin's takes because he has a wealth of experience. Very good player, has experience coaching and experience in front office roles. I miss Glenn Healy. Stanley Cup champ, 15 year pro, AND worked for the NHLPA. He has a tremendous amount of insight and was head and shoulders above most in the industry.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Not my favorite guy but there is plenty of others who are much worse like his colleagues Simmons or Feschuk and most of the CBC/Sportsnet guys.

Last edited:

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Those 3 are total professionals. Love Poulin's takes because he has a wealth of experience. Very good player, has experience coaching and experience in front office roles. I miss Glenn Healy. Stanley Cup champ, 15 year pro, AND worked for the NHLPA. He has a tremendous amount of insight and was head and shoulders above most in the industry.
Healy was good maybe a little to honest with his opinions and criticisms which some didn't like . He knows the game though.

Last edited:

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I think the evidence weighs more against him being a yes-man, which most of these hockey TV people are, so I like him.

At the end of the day, it's all meaningless. Most people will enjoy those that only say what they want to hear.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Like him a lot. It's weird to think, but somehow he Gord Miller and Andi Petrillo make for an entertaining lunch hour.

He and Gord are both so knowledgeable.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I didn't mind him but he clearly hates the Leafs or panders to that crowd. He's never high on Leaf players or prospects and always points out they'll fail (although now that the team is good he is hoping a bit more on the bandwagon) but I remember when he called Nylander as good as gone.

he never said Nylander was bad.. he just said in order for Toronto to get a defenseman, they need to trade Marner or Nylander and if it was him, he'd trade nylander

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I don’t have any issue with his knowledge, he tends to take hard line on players and issues, Nylander for example, and then conveniently seem to forget his tough stand weeks later.
His delivery and tone are off putting for me. Especially the smug little chuckle he lets out when he is particularly pleased with something he just said.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Am I the only one who thinks that Craig Button is too much in love with his own opinion and is just a blowhard.
you're not alone

I listened to his grades of the game today on LL, it was almost like he didn't refer to his game notes or didn't have any because I kind of doubt he even watched the game, he saw Gardiners 3A's and assumed he had a monster game, and he gave Nylander a A as well...whaaat! Nylander had a 60% effort, both Hyman and Brown gave it all and outworked the opposition on every one of their shifts

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
he never said Nylander was bad.. he just said in order for Toronto to get a defenseman, they need to trade Marner or Nylander and if it was him, he'd trade nylander
He also said if they wanted Brandon Montour they would have had to trade Nylander + other pieces in order to make that happen, when everyone else said it should be the other way around if that was to happen.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
His draft rankings are ok. Otherwise, I find most sports analysis on TV (or radio) to be a waste of time, so it's easy to ignore him and the loudmouthed idiots on Sportsnet if you don't like them.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He also said if they wanted Brandon Montour they would have had to trade Nylander + other pieces in order to make that happen, when everyone else said it should be the other way around if that was to happen.

He's probably not wrong and that's likely why that deal never happened. Anaheim holds montour to a high standard. They will likely ask for a lot to get him. Much more than what the leafs would be willing to pay. All teams over value their players.

Button was an NHL GM and a scout. He probably knows the value of players and how GM's think better than anyone on radio right now. Just because he says what every GM is probably thinking and it goes against what we as fans perceive player value to be, doesn't mean that he is bad at what he does.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
How about his mock draft with outrageous predictions peppered in hoping for a long shot?

Definitely not TSN material.
Does anyone know where we can pull past mock drafts from Button to see if he was spot on or not with his past predictions? Would be interesting!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He really likes to be bold with his draft rankings and go against the consensus. I think that rubs people the wrong way because it ends up disagreeing with their own. Sometimes he's right on those calls and sometimes he's wrong, just like everyone else.

I find I just disagree with his analysis on things.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
When Leafs drafted Korshkov, he came on to Leafs Breakfast I think and they asked him how do you pronounce Yegor, he said without any hesitation that it's same as Igor. I tweeted at him to say that they are two different names like Craig and Greg. And Ye-GOR has a stresser on a different syllable too. He tweeted back to me something like "whatever, you know what I mean"

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
He sells out on his opinions too early. I remember this off season right after the World Cup where Sweden won gold, he was saying Nylander was way better than Taylor Hall and it wasn’t even close.

I was thinking to myself are you f***ing kidding me? Taylor hall’s been consistent and already had ppg seasons. I understand nylander has a great rookie season and tore up the World Cup but that was a joke of an opinion.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He sells out on his opinions too early. I remember this off season right after the World Cup where Sweden won gold, he was saying Nylander was way better than Taylor Hall and it wasn’t even close.

I was thinking to myself are you ****ing kidding me? Taylor hall’s been consistent and already had ppg seasons. I understand nylander has a great rookie season and tore up the World Cup but that was a joke of an opinion.
You sure? Nylander didn't play in the World Cup.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

pretty sure that was Lebrun and that was more so talking about how high the Ducks view Montour and not a knock on Nylander, in a way it was basically saying Montour was untouchable.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
You sure? Nylander didn't play in the World Cup.

I think I got the tournament name wrong, the one they play if they don't make the playoffs or lose in the early rounds. I remember it was Sweden vs Canada and Willie vs Mitch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad