TSN: Button

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah just yells over the top of everyone to ensure his opinion his heard and therefore right.

His credibility was shot for me when he flat out said nylander has never played C and never will. This was last year, yes he was playing wing on the leafs but he just spent half a season at c in the ahl and then a season at c in the ahl. So for as great scout has he thinks he is he never noticed nylander at c in over 80% of his pro career until that point?

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
The only reason I don't dislike him is that he does have a decent, and knowledgable take on things that is often a bit different.

But yeah, he thinks he's awesome and comes off as a bit of a blowhard, for sure.
Keep him giving commentary with Andi as long as she runs Leafs Lunch, so that I can laugh at the constant hard put-downs and a little bit of infighting that goes on between them so it's at least entertaining (have a feeling they both hate each other's guts).

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
The only reason I don't dislike him is that he does have a decent, and knowledgable take on things that is often a bit different.

But yeah, he thinks he's awesome and comes off as a bit of a blowhard, for sure.
Keep him giving commentary with Andi as long as she runs Leafs Lunch, so that I can laugh at the constant hard put-downs and a little bit of infighting that goes on between them so it's at least entertaining (have a feeling they both hate each other's guts).
Craig buffoon

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks that Craig Button is too much in love with his own opinion and is just a blowhard.
Sometimes I wonder how much is actual and how much is show for TV.
How do you stay in the business? Some people have established themselves like McKenzie has, but a lot of these opinion analysts need to be entertaining as well.
Sometimes Button says some good things, sometimes he leaves you shaking your head. But you remember them right?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I don't mind Button at all.

My only real issue with him is that he is VERY dead-set on his opinions of players/prospects and that comes out when he commentates on them(good or bad)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
He's a TV personality. I think a lot of the guys in his sort of job are pretty full of themselves. But you probably don't keep that sort of job going without being a bit in love with your own opinions.

Don't really like him, don't really hate him. I'll listen if he's actually saying something useful and ignore him if I think he's being dumb.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks that Craig Button is too much in love with his own opinion and is just a blowhard.
That's kind've his job. He's paid for his opinion and they trot him out to give it. A lot of the other TSN personalities are insiders, so they're largely passing info on, whereas Button is there to speak and usually by himself.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's paid for his opinion, why wouldn't he believe what he's saying?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Heres all that needs to be said. He knows what he’s taking about, very knowledgeable, but 1 /6 things he says is just straight up wrong.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Button is an extremely knowledgeable person in hockey related matter shaving been a former NHL GM, and Scout himself, as well as his father (Jack) and brother (Tod) are also involved in the sport as execs and scouts . Heck even his mother a former secretary to former Leafs Head coach and GM Punch Imlach working for the Leafs organization.

He has been involved and around the sport his entire life and has a wealth of knowledge as a result.

This guy certainly knows his stuff, his delivery at times might not be the best but can't argue with what he knows and pulls from based on past job experience.

Last edited:

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Button is a complete and utter disgrace to the sport. His over the top voice combined with his mostly baseless opinions are enough to make even a fan with basic knowledge of the sport cringe. And to think that TSN made him their draft rankings guy is nauseating. In an ideal world, another sports network would exist and they would sign Romanuk, Millen, Button, Jeff Marek (actually, most of Sportnet’s “analysts”, besides Kelly Hrudey, IMO), and give them their own hockey talk show. Maybe call it something like “The Hockey Clowns”, or “Ignorance on Ice”. Ratings might soar due to the unintended, but highly effective, comedic factor.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Hes a guy that actually goes to rinks and watches kids play. Stubborn yes but his opinions aren't usually ones without merit imo.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hes a guy that actually goes to rinks and watches kids play. Stubborn yes but his opinions aren't usually ones without merit imo.
Yep. He praised Werenski / Provorov leading up to the 2015 draft and had them both over Hanifin which he took a lot of flak for at the time. Also defended Marner a lot from people who tried to knock Marner because of size or claim he was bad defensively.

Also was the only guy to have Kucherov as a first round worthy selection in 2011.

He's annoying at times but he's entertaining and not a complete idiot. I enjoy when he comes onto Overdrive.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Don't like his delivery, over the top angry kind of thing he does, but his knowledge of the game and players is evident.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
agree, he's one of my least favourite people to hear on the radio. Aggressive and pompous, talks over people (which is brutal for talk radio in general, more than one person talking at a time makes me change the station). His opinion seems to be less and less valuable as well

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I respect he has an opinion that differentiates from the norm, and although he barely ever changes it, he does when he knows he's wrong (Nylander).

With him though, you just have to take it with a grain of salt. He does get things wrong a bunch.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I didn't mind him but he clearly hates the Leafs or panders to that crowd. He's never high on Leaf players or prospects and always points out they'll fail (although now that the team is good he is hoping a bit more on the bandwagon) but I remember when he called Nylander as good as gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad