But it's not sustainable!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Not going to debate stats but i do find it curious that some people say "Leafs only win because of a hot first line and great goaltending", like its somehow a bad thing to have those. If any other team wins for those reasons no one even blinks, heck they even commend them.

Phil Kessel, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Bozak, Bernier and Reimer are members of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team. I also don't get how them producing is a negative thing.

I wonder how many games Pittsburgh wins when Crosby and Malkin don't generate offense and Fleury doesn't play well.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I think the issue is more the fact that the team has been getting by on mostly talent, either goaltending or scoring goals on a low number of chances. That is certainly not a bad problem to have but it makes winning relied on at least one or two guys clicking that night.

The result is of course inconsistency since there isn't a solid system to fall back on during an off night.

To be honest though, I almost prefer this style, it's pretty unique in the league and makes the games entertaining to watch. I mean, they are battling with teams like Buffalo, Edmonton and Calgary for the lead in terrible stats yet somehow are light years better, obviously they have been doing something very different from most teams in the league.

I won't comment on it being sustainable or not as it doesn't really matter, it doesn't change what this team is.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Goaltending is the reason why its sustainable. Otherwise we're a bottom five team.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
29 wins
27 losses

.571 winning

Bottom tier defensively

Middle tier team overall

Not exactly a bragging point anywhere.

Sure. But then look at it that way for all the teams around us, to be FAIR.

We've "only" won 55 games the last two years. Boston has won 62. Montreal has won 58. Tampa has won 49. Washington's won 51. NYR have won 55. Ottawa has won 49. Philly has won 49. Islanders have won 45. Columbus have won 51.

Pittsburgh is the ONLY team in the east that has "killed it" the last two years, with 74 wins.

Compared to all the rest, we're right there with the better ones.

I could combine all the losses too, to make it look worse for everyone, but the NHL doesn't do that, so I don't see the point(outside of trying to make things look worse than they really are ;) )

miff27

Jun 12, 2010
29 wins
27 losses

.571 winning

Bottom tier defensively

Middle tier team overall

What I like is someone saying we have 27 losses....like the 6 points we gained in losing in overtime or shootouts don't count....say what you want....we have 21 losses.....maybe get rid of those darn loser points.....change the rules, call up Bettman.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
29 wins
27 losses

.571 winning

Bottom tier defensively

Middle tier team overall

Leafs lead the NHL in circus time shootout wins and bonus points.

Is that something to brag about that you're winning in an individual skills competition event within a team game sport?.

Any word that Bettman's NHL will include the shootout in the playoffs, as that would increase the Leafs Cups odds as its significantly helping beating the regular season odds.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Phil Kessel, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Bozak, Bernier and Reimer are members of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team. I also don't get how them producing is a negative thing.

I wonder how many games Pittsburgh wins when Crosby and Malkin don't generate offense and Fleury doesn't play well.

No one is saying that the lineup you've put together is a bad thing.

What everyone is saying is that while the lineup is excelling, the team as a whole is not winning in a conventional fashion.

While winning is the most important aspect of the game, a close second is how it's done which speaks to the level of consistency; Ie., the more predictable the wins become and the overall better shape of the teams' game is as a result.

Right now, I'd say any given game is a toss-up as to whether or not we'll win because the team is so unpredictable - and that's the point of the thread. That's the point of every pundits' position : unless we get the Defensive zone coverage under control, we're winning but for how long?

I'm thrilled that we're winning. I'm entertained that we're doing it in such an excitable and surprising fashion.

I'm nervous that we can't expect to do it consistently.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Is that something to brag about that you're winning in an individual skills competition event within a team game sport?.

Any word that Bettman's NHL will include the shootout in the playoffs, as that would increase the Leafs Cups odds as its significantly helping beating the regular season odds.

Last time I checked the same rules applied to every team in the league. We should apologize for being very good at shootouts, when some others have not been?

It's a part of the game.

TheThrill81*

I personally would rather outwork and outplay my opponents and then if you lose you have given 100% effort. Being proud of being outplayed and still winning with less than 100% effort is really nothing to be proud of because you deserve to lose but are beating the odds.

I never understood this concept of "deserving to lose/win" despite the outcome being the opposite. What you're saying is ultimately you wouldn't mind if the Leafs lost as long as they gave it their all.

Well sorry, that's unacceptable. If anything that would upset me even more if all their effort was for nothing. The mark of a winner is finding ways to get the job done against all odds, which is what the Leafs have been doing. There's no room in sports for this moral victory nonsense, leave that for the poorly written hollywood movies. No one is proud of being outplayed, but finding ways to win is something to be proud of.

And saying the Devils are simply losing because of a lack of talent is just an excuse. That's solely on them, and it was their choice to sign Kovalchuk to a ridiculous cap-circumventing contract and having to forfeit their 1st round pick. Now they have to deal with whatever consequences. By your own admission, they deserve whatever comes their way.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013

Is that something to brag about that your winning in a individual skills competition in a team game sport.

Any word that Bettman's NHL will include the shootout in the playoffs as that would increase the Leafs cups odds as its significantly helping beating the regular season odds.

It takes the team's effort to make it to the shootout.

The shootout argument is the same hollow argument as the "goaltending argument" or "only win when Kessel is argument". It's the rules of the NHL.

P.S. The Leafs would still currently be in a playoff position if the shootout didn't count across the league.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Not going to debate stats but i do find it curious that some people say "Leafs only win because of a hot first line and great goaltending", like its somehow a bad thing to have those. If any other team wins for those reasons no one even blinks, heck they even commend them.

Remember the years where we desperately craved both?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
With regards to "I'm nervous that we can't expect to do it consistently." I don't believe your statement is true.

The last two years running, we have had winning records. That is not proof that we are going to win anything in the post-season, but it IS proof that we have consistently been able to post winning regular season records, for several years now. As of right now......It's a fact, Jack.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Right now, I'd say any given game is a toss-up as to whether or not we'll win because the team is so unpredictable - and that's the point of the thread. That's the point of every pundits' position : unless we get the Defensive zone coverage under control, we're winning but for how long?

That can be said about 10 teams in the Eastern conference alone. I think what we have here is people complaining the team hasn't become a power house.

I don't think you bothered to read the OP. The point of this thread is that a team with an excellent top line and good goaltending is a good team (not saying great team) in the Eastern Conference. There's lots of room for improvement and that's actually a good thing. The team is winning while not playing particularly sound hockey. What happens when the team starts playing a better style?

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
The last two years running, we have had winning records. That is not proof that we are going to win anything in the post-season, but it IS proof that we have consistently been able to post winning regular season records, for several years now. As of right now......It's a fact, Jack.

The ultimate cherry picking is ignoring the most important stats which are the results of the games in favour of minutia like shots on goal, face offs, puck possession, turnovers, etc.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sure. But then look at it that way for all the teams around us, to be FAIR.

We've "only" won 55 games the last two years. Boston has won 62. Montreal has won 58. Tampa has won 49. Washington's won 51. NYR have won 55. Ottawa has won 49. Philly has won 49. Islanders have won 45. Columbus have won 51.

Pittsburgh is the ONLY team in the east that has "killed it" the last two years, with 74 wins.

Compared to all the rest, we're right there with the better ones.

I could combine all the losses too, to make it look worse for everyone, but the NHL doesn't do that, so I don't see the point(outside of trying to make things look worse than they really are ;) )

OTL is a loss.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It takes the team's effort to make it to the shootout.

The shootout argument is the same hollow argument as the "goaltending argument" or "only win when Kessel is argument". It's the rules of the NHL.

P.S. The Leafs would still currently be in a playoff position if the shootout didn't count across the league.

Why is there no shootout in the playoffs?

Why do the rules of the sport change magically when the playoffs begin?.

Regular season success does not guarantee playoff success when you rely on an event that is no longer available to assist you to win.

Major league baseball doesn't break out into a home run derby when the game goes into extra innings, nor does the NBA revert to a slam dunk competition when the score is tied after regulation.

PS: At least Leafs don't have to be concerned about being outworked or outplayed in the shootout as everyone gets equal opportunities so SO wins help beat the odds of being outplayed for the first 65 minutes of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad