Burrows retires

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Mendes asked if Burrows had ever experienced such negative energy as he did in the last 8-9 months in Ottawa and he said no, he's never seen anything like it... doesn't blame one thing "Eugene, the coaches, the players... Karl... it's not just one thing".

When he says Karl, btw, it seems as though he is just referencing Karl being unsigned and is not alluding to anything we don't already know (just in case anyone wants to try to spin the comment...).

Good interview overall, he's a smart guy. Wise of him to go into coaching.

Part of it when he says he blames himself for not doing more and alluded to it being personal.. I wonder if that was the Karlsson / Hoffman thing or something else... I wish they would have asked him if he thought the room was broken.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Part of it when he says he blames himself for not doing more and alluded to it being personal.. I wonder if that was the Karlsson / Hoffman thing or something else... I wish they would have asked him if he thought the room was broken.

That was my first thought, too, although it could have been any number of things. I feel like the Hoffman/Karlsson thing was a symptom of a larger sickness. It is clear there was a large divide in our room although we have only gotten rid of Claesson, Burrows, and Hoffman (am I forgetting anyone?) since the end of the year and Phaneuf, Thompson, Brassard, and Oduya (post-Turris) in-season so who knows if it is actually that widespread and clear-cut.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That was my first thought, too, although it could have been any number of things. I feel like the Hoffman/Karlsson thing was a symptom of a larger sickness. It is clear there was a large divide in our room although we have only gotten rid of Claesson, Burrows, and Hoffman (am I forgetting anyone?) since the end of the year and Phaneuf, Thompson, Brassard, and Oduya (post-Turris) in-season so who knows if it is actually that widespread and clear-cut.
A lot of changes in a short period. Hopefully for the better in the "not too" long run

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Good career and all but the biggest contribution he made to Ottawa in his stint was retiring

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
Have some good memories of Burrows in Ottawa.

Scoring 2 in his first game with Ottawa.
That tip pass to Pageau in OT vs RAGS

mmm yeah that's about it.

Reactions: Slack and robsenz

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He came up big for us down the stretch and during the playoffs. He just should have been a much cheaper rental only and all would have been fine.

If only people could be reasonable. It's easy to recognize that we paid more than we would have liked and that we extended the player longer than we should have, and that's why I have criticized Dorion a lot for going that far, but damn, the hyperbole and trash talking some people go with is ridiculous.

Reactions: aragorn

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Burrows was a beast for the Canucks for a long time and much loved by his fans and teammates. Sens just got him a little too late but was a stud for Vancouver !!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

What do you do when two guys on the team get to where they can't stand each other like Hoffman & EK? There are over 20 players on a team at a time & then there is everyone else involved in putting the product on the ice & sometimes not everyone is going to get along, it happens, often. Although this spat was more between the GFs at first, it escalated to include the husbands & soon everyone was talking about it. As a teammate, do you stick your nose into their business? Do you pick sides? Do you talk to the girls or have your wife or GF talk to them? What if you get dragged into the dispute? I'm not really sure what a teammate could do in this situation when trying to prove it is so difficult. IF they had legitimate bonafide proof it would have been easier but MH would still have had to be moved.

On a men's team when there are disagreements guys either try to make up, leave or ask to be moved or maybe ignore it & the person. With that many personalities & egos I don't think we can expect everyone to get along but it would be nice. However, I'm not sure how that divides the room unless guys started picking sides which I doubt happened. This was a problem between two guys & their GFs that became public, not sure what other problems there were in the room, maybe payroll not being on time, maybe all the cutbacks in personnel & hockey operations. EMs comments also come to mind, terrible goaltending, the coach, although it would be difficult to mention these things in the locker room with so many ears about.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If only people could be reasonable. It's easy to recognize that we paid more than we would have liked and that we extended the player longer than we should have, and that's why I have criticized Dorion a lot for going that far, but damn, the hyperbole and trash talking some people go with is ridiculous.
No kidding. Pretty much since the trade was made every thread, every time his name is brought up, the hate comes out in full force. The need to label players to extremes is too much sometimes.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
  1. Ottawa Senators Retweeted

Thomas Chabot✔@ThomasChabot1

Félicitation a @aburr14 pour sa belle carrière, merci pour la saison dernière et pour tout ce que tu as fais pour m'aider sur la glace et en dehors. Une retraite bien mérité Félicitations!
    Jul 6, 2018

2. Ottawa Senators Retweeted

Chris Wideman✔@Chris_Wideman

It was a pleasure to play with @aburr14! Great pro who battled and had a great career! Cheers brotha!
    Jul 6, 2018

3. Ottawa Senators Retweeted

Matt Duchene✔@Matt9Duchene

Congrats to @aburr14 on a great career! Thank you for everything this past season, it was much better to play with you then against you that’s for sure! Happy retirement
    Jul 6, 2018

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Have some good memories of Burrows in Ottawa.

Scoring 2 in his first game with Ottawa.
That tip pass to Pageau in OT vs RAGS

mmm yeah that's about it.

He scored a goal in Boston on the night we clinched a playoff spot. I guess those were his only contributions.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That's pretty good for a very mediocre 4th liner.

The extension was the issue but we weren't getting him without the extension so Dorion bit the bullet. **** happens...

Problem is they saw him as a third liner or maybe even a guy who could play in the top 6 if they needed him to. The two year extension was ridiculous. At least we won’t have to watch him play for Ottawa again.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Problem is they saw him as a third liner or maybe even a guy who could play in the top 6 if they needed him to. The two year extension was ridiculous. At least we won’t have to watch him play for Ottawa again.

But he was still a 3rd liner in Vancouver and in Ottawa at first (and was still producing well)... The problem was his age and « body mileage », so if he was to lose a step, he would then become pretty ineffective. That’s why that extension and the price paid to get him was so risky. It’s like Dorion neglected the risk or was ready to live with it. Us fans (most of us anyway) didn’t want to live with it and were against the deal right away.

Even if I was a Burrows fan, I was not happy with the deal right away. I would have been happy if the price paid was a 3rd rounder or a lesser prospect like Englund and if he was just a rental or at worst on a cheaper 1 year extension

He also acquired Stalberg for a 3rd round pick and without an extension, which we were fine with, but overpaid for Burrows I guess because of his reputation

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
But he was still a 3rd liner in Vancouver and in Ottawa at first (and was still producing well)... The problem was his age and « body mileage », so if he was to lose a step, he would then become pretty ineffective. That’s why that extension and the price paid to get him was so risky. It’s like Dorion neglected the risk or was ready to live with it. Us fans (most of us anyway) didn’t want to live with it and were against the deal right away.

Even if I was a Burrows fan, I was not happy with the deal right away. I would have been happy if the price paid was a 3rd rounder or a lesser prospect like Englund and if he was just a rental or at worst on a cheaper 1 year extension

He also acquired Stalberg for a 3rd round pick and without an extension, which we were fine with, but overpaid for Burrows I guess because of his reputation

Agreed. As soon as Burrows insisted on an extension, Dorion should have moved on.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad