Speculation: Burns next contract

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Burns was in the last year of his deal when the Sharks got him and re-signed him. I don't see this turning out any different.

I'd say either 5 years 40 mil or 6 years 45.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Can you honestly blame us? Burns is a stud and exactly what we are looking for. On a side note, do you even know anything about Edmonton the city? This place is very appealing to many people.

-We made the top 10 in National geographic's best cities during the summer (link below)
http://globalnews.ca/news/2003203/ed...-summer-trips/
-We are a short drive from a beautiful mountain retreat, great for summer and winter.
-If you are an outdoors person and love wilderness (seems like Burns would be) we are surrounded by forests, great off-roading trails, and unparalleled hunting.

True, it gets cold. But if you don't know anything else about the city don't demean it, because it is actually quite nice. It's as naive as me saying, if you don't like surfing the bay area has nothing to offer. Its just not true.

Trash the team but not the city itself. The bay area is beautiful, so be aware that isn't what I am saying. But it appeals to a person who enjoys an urban lifestyle which isn't for everyone.

Yes, for those two months of the year when you don't have to be in the city it is great, but what about the other 10 months?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Because he would finish the rebuild of our blueline. With Burns, we wouldn't need to mess with anything back there anymore.

#1 - Burns
#2/3 - Klefbom
#2/3 - Larsson
#3/4 - Sekera
#5 with upside - Nurse
#5 with upside - Davidson
Depth with 2nd pair upside - Reinhart

That's why its always Edmonton asking for Burns.

Can you honestly blame us? Burns is a stud and exactly what we are looking for.

No, I can't, which is why I do not consider what I said to be a dig. It was only Oilers fans who jumped the gun and though I was dissing them. It's just a comment which we all know is true. Nothing more and nothing less.

On a side note, do you even know anything about Edmonton the city? This place is very appealing to many people.

-We made the top 10 in National geographic's best cities during the summer (link below)
http://globalnews.ca/news/2003203/ed...-summer-trips/
-We are a short drive from a beautiful mountain retreat, great for summer and winter.
-If you are an outdoors person and love wilderness (seems like Burns would be) we are surrounded by forests, great off-roading trails, and unparalleled hunting.

True, it gets cold. But if you don't know anything else about the city don't demean it, because it is actually quite nice. It's as naive as me saying, if you don't like surfing the bay area has nothing to offer. Its just not true.

Trash the team but not the city itself. The bay area is beautiful, so be aware that isn't what I am saying. But it appeals to a person who enjoys an urban lifestyle which isn't for everyone.

The first bolded is kinda the problem. During the summer, when Burns will be traveling and visiting home, rather than living on a day to day basis like he does during the season.

The second bolded is just pure insanity. I think you're thinking of LA.

Burns does love the wilderness, which is why there isn't any place better to be than the Bay Area. When I was young, I wanted to get out of the Bay because I'd never seen anything different and couldn't appreciate it. Coming back years later and I can truly appreciate it for being the greatest place in the country to live (which is why it's so expensive, but that's not an issue for someone like Burns). The Bay Area has an incredible amount of cultural diversity, there's no better place overall for ethnic food of any kind. There's San Francisco, which is just an incredible city to live near by. There's the beach and the ocean. There's forests, mountains, anything an outdoorsy type would want. Okay, sorry for going on so much (I just really really love the Bay), but this should put into context why these (and other) Anaheim/LA comments really bug me.

Yup. And Kesler loved Anaheim so much that he "settled" for $6.9M to stay there. Hardly a "California discount".

Milan Lucic.

Southern California is trash. Sorry. To those of you who equate the Bay Area to LA/Anaheim, take a step back. Anaheim is just a garbage place, and LA is so overrated. They're hot, smoggy, too much traffic, everything is grey, and overall just really unpleasant places to live in comparison to the San Francisco Bay Area (as can be attested to by everyone I've ever met who grew up in SoCal).

Hell, I might even prefer Edmonton to Anaheim or LA.

Firstly, I respect you as a poster. That said the bolded is nothing but a shot below the belt. Did you forget about McLellan just a season and change ago leaving to Edmonton? I wouldn't doubt that many or even most players would rather play in SJ than Edmonton for a bunch of reasons but Edmonton has a lot going for it as well from a professional standpoint (let's keep city bashing out of this). McDavid, a solid supporting cast, his former coach, a new state of the art arena, etc. Is that enough to lure Burns? Most think that he's quite content right where he is and he may very well be based on a similar thread that I started awhile back. But no one knows this for sure other than Brent and his wife.

I do however think that if it's such a slam dunk that it's a little odd that he hasn't been extended yet. Naturally he could sign after the season like Stamkos or during the season like Byfuglien, but it at least adds a small amount of a possibility that he may test the FA waters.

The writing on the wall was there for McLellan leaving. It was a "mutual" decision, but he was not wanted back. And Edmonton was the best landing spot for the reasons you just listened. Comparing that to Burns' situation seems silly to me.

And it's worth noting, as always, that Burns' career season (by far) came the season as soon as McLellan left. McLellan jerked him around, playing him at forward, giving him a bad 19 year old rookie as a partner (Mirco Mueller, ugh), etc. The reason why so many Sharks fans wished he (Todd) would just keep Burns at forward was because he was just so good there, and aside from the first half a season he was here, Burns just wasn't that good a defenseman under McLellan. Until this season, I was firmly on the Burns-at-forward train because until then, he'd been better at forward than D as a Shark. I'm sure Burns likes McLellan and everything, but I can't imagine he'd jump at the chance to play for him again if he had better options.

As for the contract, I'm not really concerned in the slightest. Two years ago, Thornton and Marleau didn't sign until February. No big deal. Wilson is good with contracts and he won't insult Burns. If Burns wants to be back, Wilson will get it done and he'll be back. If he wants to move on, he'll move on. But I think he wants to be back. I'm not saying it's a slam dunk by any means. I'm just expressing my doubt that Edmonton would be where he would want to go if he didn't want to come back to the Sharks.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes, for those two months of the year when you don't have to be in the city it is great, but what about the other 10 months?

Nice try. There is 4-5 months of true winter in Alberta (November - February). Sometimes hits a few weeks early, sometimes extends a bit into March, rarely both. We typically only get a couple of weeks of blistering cold weather (IMO, blistering cold might be different to softer folks), and no more snow than many other cities with NHL teams, including American ones.

Hyperbole does nothing but make you look bad.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
8 years, $32m

Guarantees him piece of mind, surfing lifestyle up to 40 year's old. a NMC would be a given for this deal i think.

Last edited:

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago
Any team that pays that Sasquatch more than 7 with long term will regret it fast. He's 32 years old and he'll never repeat the season he just had.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Except we have enough space to sign him now at 8 million .

Ference will open up 3.25 , Yakupov to Vegas another 2.5 . Pouliot is 4 and Fayne 3.625 might be movable if he comes to camp as advertised . His agent saids he trained hard all off season and is in the best shape he been in . Maybe he plays well . Then there is also the question of when does the Sharks player drop off the planet . They are an aging group .

Unless he's asking $10m per long term, he's going no where. We'd likely hit $9m+ on a short term deal if we have to. Letting a player of his calibre walk is just insane. That said, I'm confident we'll get Burns signed to a very fair deal of around $8m per over about 4-5 years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I guess signing with SJ will depend on whether he really wants to win a cup or not. There would be better options for winning a cup and better options for $ so his signing will largely depend on what is most important to him. Lifestyle or career.

Better options? Name one single one. Try. It's not about money or winning or lifestyle. It's about all three (and more).

He's got it made in SJ. We can pay him whatever he wants, he gets to be "the guy," he lives a sweet life, he loves his teammates, WE MADE THE STANLEY CUP FINALS LAST YEAR, etc.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Barrie is not Northern Ontario.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

Read it as "Barrie is not from Northern Ontario." I then go onto explain how I know Barrie is from Victoria, since I am as well. :laugh:

Actually on topic, no Barrie is most certainly not Northern Ontario. I don't know why the poster had to differentiate between north or south in Ontario. For the most part, it's cold as **** during the winter, and hot and extremely humid in the summers throughout the province (in my experience).

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Any team that pays that Sasquatch more than 7 with long term will regret it fast. He's 32 years old and he'll never repeat the season he just had.

I won't argue that it would be tough to expect him to duplicate those numbers, but I don't see his game dropping off much due to age. The guy is an unreal athlete. Even if he were to "lose a step" like Chara did, his skating is so good he'd still be above average (unlike Chara).

Big Buff is another guy I'd be scared of his game dropping off due to conditioning and skating. He gets by on freak athleticism alone. Burns has that and excellent conditioning. He should be very productive into his late 30's.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Getting Burns will not give EDM a great D. It will give them more scoring.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nice try. There is 4-5 months of true winter in Alberta (November - February). Sometimes hits a few weeks early, sometimes extends a bit into March, rarely both. We typically only get a couple of weeks of blistering cold weather (IMO, blistering cold might be different to softer folks), and no more snow than many other cities with NHL teams, including American ones.

BS. And yes, i lived in EDM. Winter ends in FEB? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Of course , you might have a different definition of "true winter" than 98% of the world.

Phillybean

Aug 2, 2008
Kelowna
How did I know this was going to be started by an Oilers fan.

Burns will be like Stamkos, IMO. He'll consider offers from other teams but his ask will be astronomical from them and reasonable for the Sharks.

Honestly, who wants to move their young family to Edmonton from the Bay Area?

All depends if Trump wins

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
The second bolded is just pure insanity. I think you're thinking of LA.

Burns does love the wilderness, which is why there isn't any place better to be than the Bay Area. When I was young, I wanted to get out of the Bay because I'd never seen anything different and couldn't appreciate it. Coming back years later and I can truly appreciate it for being the greatest place in the country to live (which is why it's so expensive, but that's not an issue for someone like Burns). The Bay Area has an incredible amount of cultural diversity, there's no better place overall for ethnic food of any kind. There's San Francisco, which is just an incredible city to live near by. There's the beach and the ocean. There's forests, mountains, anything an outdoorsy type would want. Okay, sorry for going on so much (I just really really love the Bay), but this should put into context why these (and other) Anaheim/LA comments really bug me.

I like LA/SoCal more than you do but the above is why I spit out my coffee when I read "it appeals to a person who enjoys an urban lifestyle which isn't for everyone." So much WTF that I didn't know how to respond.

A big part of the Bay Area's appeal is how much open space has been preserved by local (and to a lesser extent, state and national) governments. We have tons of parks, and I don't just mean the typical urban/suburban parks that many ppl will think of when you say that, though we have those too. The Bay Area was a leader in preserving open space. On top of the parks, there are areas like EBMUD (or the equivalent in the other parts of the Bay Area) lands which are wilderness areas that you can hike in.

Most of 280 from SJ to SF is undeveloped and even many developed areas, like Woodside, have areas like this

crystalspringsreservoir.jpg

Here's a park near Los Gatos, where some players live

sierraazul0007annotated.JPG

Two towns, Sarasota (where some players live) and Cupertino (Apple) are marked in white.

Here's a pic of one of the state parks in the Santa Cruz Mountains near San Jose (Big Basin, ~30 miles from SJ and 25 from Los Gatos)

Bigbasinredwoods.jpg

And another nearby state park (Henry Cowell, ~30 mi from SJ)

23801079.jpg

sc15.jpg

Here's a map of the US, state and regional parks in the Bay Area (green areas on map). The Bay Area is developed but there are a lot of park areas.

Bay-Area-Ridge-Trail-Map.mediumthumb.pdf.png

Outside the parks, you'll see many redwood forests ("normal" forests too) just driving from SJ (or, e.g., Palo Alto/Woodside/Menlo Park) to Santa Cruz, which is about 30 miles from SJ. There's very little development there. It's pretty much just driving through forests with the occasional house or small town. (And that's not counting the redwoods in Muir Woods in Marin County or, if you want to drive ~150 miles, Yosemite. Or the numerous regional or county parks that have miles of hiking trails.)

Yes, there are urban areas too but a huge part of the Bay Area's appeal is the public open spaces that range from redwood forests to pine forests to eucalyptus groves to deciduous forests to grassy/brush fields. There are hills (which ppl on the East Coast call mountains) and relatively flat areas, rivers, lakes, and ocean. It's a very ecologically diverse.

Sorry to go on but ignoring this is like ignoring the Rockies or the Saskatchewan River Valley if you're talking about Edmonton. (The Canadian Rockies are amazing.)

Plus there are the beaches near Santa Cruz. This isn't going to appeal to everyone but I think it probably appeals to Burns. I think he loves the Bay Area. He likes the sports and SF Zoo too. If DW can work out a deal, he'll stay in SJ. If he leaves, I think it's for money, not bc he thinks another area is more appealing.

Last edited:

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014

Bro winter is still going strong in Minnesota in March. Fairly sure it's a bit nippy in Edmonton then too

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Burns liked it in MIN too. He's happy wherever IMO. But he looks like he really embraced beach life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad