Speculation: Burns next contract

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This is the D Edmonton needs to finally have a great D . With Ference contract ending , and hopefully Fayne plays well enough to move we should have enough cap space to make it work .

I know with the Subban trade it was said it did not take Chia long to turn it down because he sees McDavid as being the top paid player in the NHL soon . I don't think Chia would go as high as Subban contract .

Any ideal of his demands yet ? Thought on the cost to sign the big man ?

Klefbom Burns....... Drool
Sekera Larsson
Nurse Davidson
Oesterle

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How did I know this was going to be started by an Oilers fan.

Burns will be like Stamkos, IMO. He'll consider offers from other teams but his ask will be astronomical from them and reasonable for the Sharks.

Honestly, who wants to move their young family to Edmonton from the Bay Area?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He'll be 32 at the end of the season.

Another year like last year and somebody would go $9M+ on a shorter deal. However, I wouldn't be surprised with a 6ish year x $7-$8M.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is the D Edmonton needs to finally have a great D . With Ference contract ending , and hopefully Fayne plays well enough to move we should have enough cap space to make it work .

I think you'll see one of two things happen with Burns. He either goes with a shorter contract like Byfuglien did (5x7.6m) or a slightly longer one like Seabrook (8x6.87m). If he hits FA, he might get a slight bump on what Byf got, but I doubt it's by much, as he'll be 32 when that contract starts.

They're all the same age (within a month of eachother), but Seabrook and Byf's contract start this year. But I think that's the sort of contract he'll be getting.

Fortunately for San Jose (and unfortunately for the Oilers and their fans), they'll have the money to sign him. Just what they'll likely save with Marleau and Thornton's contracts (either their replacements or if they sign them to new cheaper contracts) will be enough to cover Burn's raise. So while perhaps there's some appeal to go to Edmonton (new arena, McDavid, etc), he's playing in a great location for a team that just went to the cup finals. Sure they lost, but they lost to one of the most dominate teams we've seen in a while. So if I was SJ, I'd be fairly confident in being able to resign him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Burns has clearly priced himself out of the Sharks budget seeing how he doesn't have an extension yet. I'm expecting a $9mx7 contract from the suckers who go for him in free agency.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
No way Oilers could afford him. You have too pay McDavid in two years.

Unless they plan on trading Draisitl, Nurse, Yakupov and Pouliot for guys making league minimum. And that's if you can get rid of Fayne.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

I know with the Subban trade it was said it did not take Chia long to turn it down because he sees McDavid as being the top paid player in the NHL soon . I don't think Chia would go as high as Subban contract .

Sekera Larsson
Nurse Davidson
Oesterle

Personally, I'd keep Larsson and Klefbom together, and slot Burns with Davidson or Sekera.

Moving on, he'd likely get 8m + on free agency.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Burns will be like Stamkos, IMO. He'll consider offers from other teams but his ask will be astronomical from them and reasonable for the Sharks.

You have not yet realize the power of the McDavid effect

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Sekera Larsson
Nurse Davidson
Oesterle

8 for 7 minimum.
There might even be a Winter tax going from SJ to Edm

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nah, it's always Edmonton with Burns.

That because of the link between player and coach , you know like Lucic and Chia . Don't think we can afford 8 million a year and if that is his asking price a little rich consider our futures RFA .

As for complaining about fans of the Oilers posting that is what HF is for . I guess we should get all bent out of shape when people ask for Draisaitl ? :help:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
8 for 7 minimum.

I think it more then we can pay unless we move a few guys

Ference 3.25
Yakupov 2.5
Fayne 3.625 so just over 10 million so 8 for Burns and a could of cheap signings like Gryba and Versteeg

I guess it could work .

How like are the Sharks to let him walk is probably the better question .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No way Oilers could afford him. You have too pay McDavid in two years.

Unless they plan on trading Draisitl, Nurse, Yakupov and Pouliot for guys making league minimum. And that's if you can get rid of Fayne.

Except we have enough space to sign him now at 8 million .

Ference will open up 3.25 , Yakupov to Vegas another 2.5 . Pouliot is 4 and Fayne 3.625 might be movable if he comes to camp as advertised . His agent saids he trained hard all off season and is in the best shape he been in . Maybe he plays well . Then there is also the question of when does the Sharks player drop off the planet . They are an aging group .

member 157595

I think it's even more of a slam-dunk that Burns returns to the Sharks than it was for Stamkos to return to Tampa.

Are they currently in Oakland? :sarcasm:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Gotta consider he'll be 32 next off season.

His AAV will depend on what strategy the team signing him takes. If their goal is to get the lowest cap hit possible while disregarding any consequences in the later half of the contract he'll get 7-8 years with a 6M-6.5M AAV. It'll be a front loaded deal with an 8M-10M salaries during the first few seasons. Most likely it will also be loaded with contract bonus money.

If a team wants to be more conservative, it'll be 5 years x 7.5M-8M.

If he hits the open market, there is always a possibility he gets more than that, but if I was making a prediction on a 5 year term, 8M or just shy of 8M seems likely.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
8 for 7 minimum.

A winter tax for a guy who is from Northern Ontario . Maybe he is worried about global warming and wants out of the USA before it become a dust bowl :sarcasm: Or maybe the Shark should sign him only to play games in the warm states . You do know hockey is a winter sport ? :help:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Except we have enough space to sign him now at 8 million .

Ference will open up 3.25 , Yakupov to Vegas another 2.5 . Pouliot is 4 and Fayne 3.625 might be movable if he comes to camp as advertised . His agent saids he trained hard all off season and is in the best shape he been in . Maybe he plays well . Then there is also the question of when does the Sharks player drop off the planet . They are an aging group .

I'm assuming this would be for the start of next season but your plan would be to lose Fayne, Pouliot and Yakupov for no cap space coming back. Hope the rookies don't fill their performance bonuses this year and then sure, it would work fine next year. Assuming Leon signs for around 6. Edmonton would be a scary team that year.

But what happens in 2018/19? McDavid signs for 10, Nurse for 3(?). That's like 63M for 11 players and only 5 forwards.

Only way this would be even close to possible is if Eberle or RNH are gone and even then your bottom 6 would be scary bad.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That because of the link between player and coach , you know like Lucic and Chia . Don't think we can afford 8 million a year and if that is his asking price a little rich consider our futures RFA .

Yeah it's no surprise that between Edmonton's need for a top pairing RHD, the link between Burns and McLellan and the fact that Burns will be a UFA on July 1st, that there's a ton of Burns to EDM proposals.

As for him costing 8m, not if he wants to play in Edmonton. Could EDM afford it? Perhaps, but I don't think they'd give it to him. He will be a year older then Byfuglien and Byf only got 5x7.6m. I could see a 4/5 yr deal around 7m or perhaps a 6/7 yr deal around 5.5-6m. Will really depend on what exactly he's looking for and how badly EDM needs to fill that position come July 1st. I mean if Larsson really steps up, is it a need to the point where you spend 6-7m on a 32 yr old FA? I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->